Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Didn't he turn iron man into a evil jerk who started a hero cw and used caps dead body to lure out heroes then shot at aunt may and mary jane when spidey switched sides then created a clone of his friend
    No that was Mark Millar.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    You forgot to mention he also can't write cosmic and fantasy characters.
    Until he started doing half decent on Superman, I used to think that noir was the only genre he did well.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    Explain? He sandbagged Scarlet Witch to create his dream roster. Simple.
    Yeah, dear God, no better example of weak kneed editors exists.

Wasp: You lost your babies, lol

Scarlet Witch: Okay, momma go crazy now.

Even if you ignore canon, the unfortunate implications should all but jump off the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Avengers: Prime

Attachment 86470
    To his credit though, Bendis was writing Iron Man like RDJ before RDJ was Iron Man. In that way, he was actually ahead of his time.

It doesn't take much imagination to envision Chris Evans and RJD doing that scene on the big screen in a movie.

Didn't he turn iron man into a evil jerk who started a hero cw and used caps dead body to lure out heroes then shot at aunt may and mary jane when spidey switched sides then created a clone of his friend who killed another hero?

Iron man was awful at that time.

As for luke cage he was bendis pet who was shoved down our throats every second! He made him the leader of the avengers with cap and wasp right there out of the blue and even had him own avengers mansion. He reminded me of the second captain marvel but she was a better leader to me and was thor powerful!

Plus lets not forget luke having the avengers help old ladys cross the street and pick up trash or "standing there" to show the avengers are down to earth. Yeah lets waste the team that was made to fight kang and Ultron like threats by picking up trash. It's not like there isn't a country in danger somewhere! Luke has a team to pick up trash. It's called heroes for hire not the avengers who could be out saving a city right now!

Then there's his Spider-Man. Spidey by this point was grown into a really well known hero and was a pro. Even outsmarting thanos! Bendis wrote him as a 10 year old loser who didn't know what he was doing. Ugh. Spidey was as big as a pro as iron man at that time not a whiney little kid.

What he did to wanda is awful.

With all those grips you think I hate everything bendis. Nope I did like some of his stories and his books did have a grand adventure tone to them. I did keep reading them for some time and liked some of the members and new heroes he added. And even though I complained about cage he did bring him out of his shaft d list and made him a big name! So yes I complain about bendis but still liked some things also!
    You have to look at the flip side of that though. Yes, Bendis and Millars treatment of Iron Man garned a lot of criticism. But it also elevated him into becoming the most talked about and narratively important character in the MU. He probably had more guest appearances in other books than Spider-Man and Wolverine combined. Though the movie gets the lions share of the credit, the books did their share of elevating Stark and Cap to become arguably the 2 most prominent heroes in the MU.

And Cage's push was met with some sucess. He didn't quite explote as a character, but he certainly grew. He had several solo's and ended up getting his own TV show. Sometimes the way to turn a C lister into a B lister is to literally ram them down everyone's throat. The squaky wheel gets the grease.

He had his share of misteps, but he also had a good deal of sucess as far as elevating specific characters and the franchise as a whole.

An average Bendis' Avengers issue: talking... talking... talking... little action... talking... talking...

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Didn't he turn iron man into a evil jerk who started a hero cw and used caps dead body to lure out heroes then shot at aunt may and mary jane when spidey switched sides then created a clone of his friend who killed another hero?

As for luke cage he was bendis pet who was shoved down our throats every second! He made him the leader of the avengers with cap and wasp right there out of the blue and even had him own avengers mansion. He reminded me of the second captain marvel but she was a better leader to me and was thor powerful!

Plus lets not forget luke having the avengers help old ladys cross the street and pick up trash or "standing there" to show the avengers are down to earth. Yeah lets waste the team that was made to fight kang and Ultron like threats by picking up trash. It's not like there isn't a country in danger somewhere! Luke has a team to pick up trash. It's called heroes for hire not the avengers who could be out saving a city right now!

Then there's his Spider-Man. Spidey by this point was grown into a really well known hero and was a pro. Even outsmarting thanos! Bendis wrote him as a 10 year old loser who didn't know what he was doing. Ugh. Spidey was as big as a pro as iron man at that time not a whiney little kid.

With all those grips you think I hate everything bendis. Nope I did like some of his stories and his books did have a grand adventure tone to them. I did keep reading them for some time and liked some of the members and new heroes he added. And even though I complained about cage he did bring him out of his shaft d list and made him a big name! So yes I complain about bendis but still liked some things also!
    He had Iron-Man doing that because he truly believed he was doing the right thing, not unlike how the RDJ version created Ultron.

Luke having the Avengers stand around to help the streets was a nice little touch. Basically just showing Luke Cages’ influence and that it wasn’t all about the big fights against Kang.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Since when Spidey outsmarted Thanos?

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    He had Iron-Man doing that because he truly believed he was doing the right thing, not unlike how the RDJ version created Ultron.

Luke having the Avengers stand around to help the streets was a nice little touch. Basically just showing Luke Cages’ influence and that it wasn’t all about the big fights against Kang.
    I think Cage thing was brilliant. It's not just enough to save the peoples lives... it's about inspiring them and earning their trust.

In a time when the public turned against the heroes, Cages neighborhood rose up to defend him. Ordinary people went into the streets, risking their lives to fight armed soldier because Cage was one of them. They had Cages back, because they knew he had theirs. That tells me Cage must have been doing something right.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think Cage thing was brilliant. It's not just enough to save the peoples lives... it's about inspiring them and earning their trust.

In a time when the public turned against the heroes, Cages neighborhood rose up to defend him. Ordinary people went into the streets, risking their lives to fight armed soldier because Cage was one of them. They had Cages back, because they knew he had theirs. That tells me Cage must have been doing something right.
    Completely agree.
    Bendis’ Avengers should have ended after Siege, where Luke Cage says he can finally have a walk in the park without convictions. If you’re for or against what Bendis did, it was very much Luke Cage’s story after Civil War hit.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Completely agree.
    Bendis’ Avengers should have ended after Siege, where Luke Cage says he can finally have a walk in the park without convictions. If you’re for or against what Bendis did, it was very much Luke Cage’s story after Civil War hit.
    There was SOME good stuff after Siege... but yeah, after Siege it really did feel like his story was mostly done. His books just didn't seem as BIG and as important, and I think towards the end he was running on fumes. He had a ridicously long run with multiple books, so that's almost to be expected.

And Cage's push was met with some sucess. He didn't quite explote as a character, but he certainly grew. He had several solo's and ended up getting his own TV show. Sometimes the way to turn a C lister into a B lister is to literally ram them down everyone's throat. The squaky wheel gets the grease.
    That's what I said also. He did push cage out of z list hero statis. Cage is even in the new marvel ultimate alliance game. Like I said hated some things and he did and liked others.

Since when Spidey outsmarted Thanos?
    Marvel two in one. Thanos ignored spidey not thinking him of a threat and was fighting the avengers, captain marvel and the thing. Spidey got the soul gem sending out warlock to deal with thanos. Warlock killed the surprised thanos. Thanos would later try to go after spideys soul in a infinity gauntlet side story but death sends him back to his body to tick off thanos.

Pretty much he didn't see spidey as a threat even early in the issue tried to dump him out saying he was not worth his time and spidey ended up with the last laugh!

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

That's what I said also. He did push cage out of z list hero statis. Cage is even in the new marvel ultimate alliance game. Like I said hated some things and he did and liked others.

Marvel two in one. Thanos ignored spidey not thinking him of a threat and was fighting the avengers, captain marvel and the thing. Spidey got the soul gem sending out warlock to deal with thanos. Warlock killed the surprised thanos. Thanos would later try to go after spideys soul in a infinity gauntlet side story but death sends him back to his body to tick off thanos.

Pretty much he didn't see spidey as a threat even early in the issue tried to dump him out saying he was not worth his time and spidey ended up with the last laugh!
    That Gauntlet tie-in was written by Ann Nocenti right? That was pretty dumb if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    There was SOME good stuff after Siege... but yeah, after Siege it really did feel like his story was mostly done. His books just didn't seem as BIG and as important, and I think towards the end he was running on fumes. He had a ridicously long run with multiple books, so that's almost to be expected.
    Part of the issue was that he spent a lot of time setting up Age of Ultron. Which both took forever to actually come out, and was pretty much a dud when it did.

On a sidenote, I think he has evolved and his a much better writer now, than then. But his Avengers, though successful are a dork age for me.