Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Is it possible female heroes were being over emphasised since the 1990's, and all Bendis was doing was cleaning house with too many over representation in the books, being reduced to a proper level?
    So then a proper level is that female characters become only wallpaller or women in the fridge to promote male characters?

Is it possible female heroes were being over emphasised since the 1990's, and all Bendis was doing was cleaning house with too many over representation in the books, being reduced to a proper level?
    WHAT??? Surely you're being sarcastic, you cannot even think that's possible on any level???
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Bendis is the John Cena of the comic book world.

It became "cool" to hate on him once he got big, bit appearances aside he is still very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I meant that he only writes two kind of female characters, and the only things memorable that Moonstone did during the Dark Avengers run was getting into bed with other members of the team (Noh-Var and Daken for example) and Magik always did nearly everything perfect (during the battle against Dormammu, when she "lost control" over Limbo, she ended regaining it by herself and ended defeating a powerful Lord of Hell by herself, even if odds were against her. I think that's enough proof of a Mary Sue).

And don't make me talk about Emma, who was constantly "I love/I hate Scott Summers", but in a more annoying way than Ross and Rachel relationship in Friends...
    Moonstone vs Morgan le Fay was cool; and her manipulation of Osborne was very clever (again Bendis writes a lot of undertones and unspoken things in his work; if you think all she was doing was sleeping with men you missed the nuance... also she didn't sleep with Daken ). Magic winning a battle doesn't make them a Mary Sue. She also got killed in the run; and lost control of her powers. Being a Mary Sue is more complex than just doing well. As for Emma Bendis dedicating three whole issues to Emma training a mutant; which is more than anyone has done with her as a teacher since Kyle&Yost.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Moonstone vs Morgan le Fay was cool; and her manipulation of Osborne was very clever (again Bendis writes a lot of undertones and unspoken things in his work; if you think all she was doing was sleeping with men you missed the nuance... also she didn't sleep with Daken ). Magic winning a battle doesn't make them a Mary Sue. She also got killed in the run; and lost control of her powers. Being a Mary Sue is more complex than just doing well. As for Emma Bendis dedicating three whole issues to Emma training a mutant; which is more than anyone has done with her as a teacher since Kyle&Yost.
    If it's a battle in which all odds are against her then yes, it can make you a Mary Sue. During that arc, Dormammu practically had control over Limbo and Magik was struggling to keep control of herself...and surprise she was able to win. And she never lost control of her powers, she lost control over Limbo. And about the killed in the run that practically didn't count as Tempus ending changing the timeline. And Bendis only dedicated one issue training Morph, only one. The rest of the run was Emma whining all the time.

Mighty Member

Uh oh...You shouldn't have said that...here comes the outrage...

Unglaublich!

I'll be honest here: the only things I've really read from Bendis are his All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men runs.

And they were terrible!

None of the characters sounded like they have in the past. Yes, I know that a new writer wants to put his own "identity" on a team or a character, but not to this extent surely?! His ideas had some merit but the execution and delivery was, at absolute best, sub-par.

But the single most annoying, most tedious thing from his X-run is, in my opinion, the fact that NOBODY was able to mention Cyclops without calling him "Scot Summers!" Every time he was mentioned... yup: "Scott Summers!"

Couldn't anyone call him Scott...? Did they always have to use his surname as well?! So. Very. Tedious!!

I was over the moon when his run ended, but I wish it had ended with the O5 buggering off again as well.

BANNED

Bendis cannot write Storm,

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    So then a proper level is that female characters become only wallpaller or women in the fridge to promote male characters?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    WHAT??? Surely you're being sarcastic, you cannot even think that's possible on any level???

I was just fishing on that idea. But it doesn't appear there are any subscribers to that theory. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Bendis is the John Cena of the comic book world.

It became "cool" to hate on him once he got big, bit appearances aside he is still very popular.
    It may be cool to hate on him but a lot of the criticisms are valid
    We need better comics

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Bendis cannot write Storm,
    Or Black Panther. Or Thanos. Or Doom.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    It may be cool to hate on him but a lot of the criticisms are valid
    Yep. And I say this as someone who has enjoyed his work in the past (and still do to some degree).

Mighty Member

Strictly my opinion on his Avengers run: All talk, little action. Too much Luke/Jessica soap opera.

Ultimate Member

We obviously all have different tastes because I thought Bendis Avengers was awesome.

Incredible Member

Criticism of Bendis Avengers? Well, its a whole thing. And then if you try harder to get it, it becomes a thing. If you ever do understand it, its a whole thing. Its just a thing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Raptor View Post
    I'll be honest here: the only things I've really read from Bendis are his All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men runs.

And they were terrible!

None of the characters sounded like they have in the past. Yes, I know that a new writer wants to put his own "identity" on a team or a character, but not to this extent surely?! His ideas had some merit but the execution and delivery was, at absolute best, sub-par.

But the single most annoying, most tedious thing from his X-run is, in my opinion, the fact that NOBODY was able to mention Cyclops without calling him "Scot Summers!" Every time he was mentioned... yup: "Scott Summers!"

Couldn't anyone call him Scott...? Did they always have to use his surname as well?! So. Very. Tedious!!

I was over the moon when his run ended, but I wish it had ended with the O5 buggering off again as well.
    Made a reddit post about this a few months ago. Everyone's (awful) reply was "it's for new readers". Um...