Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Love it! Very retro and it actually has the design language of the old emblems of times past. And for those asking for them to return to the bullet logo w/ the star(s) - they legally cannot. The lawsuit with DC shoes prevents them.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Astonishing Member

unoriginal. boring. the stylized one was just really beautiful as you can see it with these animated logos.

How would the logo be able to have these stylised effect?

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Love it! Very retro and it actually has the design language of the old emblems of times past. And for those asking for them to return to the bullet logo w/ the star(s) - they legally cannot. The lawsuit with DC shoes prevents them.
    Ah, that's right

its pretty cool feels throwback and fits with what theyre trying to do with rebirth going back to their roots

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusRex View Post
    Can they just go back to the old one?
    Best idea ever! I prefer a two color logo personally.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Astonishing Member

That's a lovely logo.

I really disliked the floppy D logo.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Very plain, forgettable logo.

It reminds me of the more classic logos, I like it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I didn't really think the logo needed changing. I like the current logo.

It'll bug me not to have a uniform logo on my DC trades and graphic novels, but the new one doesn't look all that bad.

All-New Member

It's alright...Id rather worry about the state of the books, rather than something pointless like the logo. Reading digitally I bearly even look at the covers anyway.

I agree that changing the logo and doing yet another line wide reboot (when the last one was just four years ago) shows a lack of confidence in the brand.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp14 View Post
    I agree that changing the logo and doing yet another line wide reboot (when the last one was just four years ago) shows a lack of confidence in the brand.
    Well yeah. Marvel just had 52% of the market in April while DC had 27%

I think it's okay. I was never crazy about the last one, but this is fine, though for my money the 2005 logo is still the best .

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

I did this with the 2005 logo and with The Peel...

NOTHING beats the Milton Glaser "Bullet". I am a designer and logo aficionado.

The 2005 "Swoosh" was done by some random college kid or recent art school graduate at the time on the cheap. It was stupid and had a gradient. It was trendy and evoked 90s-2000s-swoosh-y popular aesthetics and nothing more. In other words, it was not actually designed.

The "Peel" was argued by DCE to be thought of for multimedia and motion applications. This time they actually did spend money with a firm to work on it instead of random dude. So progress. Except the firm once again broke the no gradients rule. Disclaimer: There are always exceptions to rules. There are successful logos that do have gradients. The Peel is not one of them. The reveal of whichever property within the mark makes it NOT a logo. It's a design. It's something, but it's not a logo. The Peel is so bad that they had to add "DC COMICS" underneath it because the mark was completely weak on it's own.

The best logos you can recognize at a glance or peripherally...at times when you're not even focused on them at all. FedEx, Coca-Cola, Target, Apple, etc. A good exercise and practice that I like to utilize is blurring your sight. Purposefully blur your vision and look at some logos. Can you still tell what they are? If the answer is yes, then that is a good logo. DC Swoosh blurred test - nope. DC Peel blurred test - nope, it could be Discovery but not 100% sure. There is no discernible silhouette. That's the other main ingredient. Can I reduce any logo to black and white or even black, white and grey and still see that logo. Swoosh - fail. Peel - fail. Milton Glaser's - passes all tests with flying colors.

So the fact that they've gone back to the 72 logo through Milton Glaser's as inspiration is a major win. It's not the Bullet, but it's finally the correct thought process and involved the correct design process. Black and white version? Yes. Blurred vision test? Passes. Silhouette test? It's "DC" in a circle. So yes, no dumb gradients for arbitrary reasons like popularity. No one's going to confuse this for a clothing line or cable network. It's clearly DC Comics.
    Last edited by Potanical Pardon; 05-17-2016 at 10:05 AM.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Seriously?

If anything, the carousel of logos shows a lack of confidence in their brand...
    This. Stick with something. Logos are not meant to be year by year entries.

There was nothing wrong with the previous version. It screamed modernity and looked right in place on an iphone nested with your other modern app icons.

The new one? The font is ridiculously hamfisted.