Default Wonder Woman: Rucka, Sharp & Scott on how DC Rebirth impacts Diana Prince

Here is a great interview with Rucka, Sharp and Scott, discussing the upcoming Wonder Woman story lines. They address the stories, the Gods, the costume....it's pretty great! I'm even MORE excited now.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/...s-diana-prince
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

IGN: I'm glad you brought up the costume. Both you and Nicola are obviously drawing Diana at very different points in her life. Can you talk about the process of redesigning her look and what influences you drew from?

Sharp: Yeah, there's the basic one from the New 52. There's elements of that. There's also elements from the film version. With the one I'm doing, Greg was like, "Do you like the film costume?", and I said I really liked it. So let's just do that. That's settled. I was very happy to adapt that look for what I was doing with the costume. Nic's has slight variations. I talked about this with Greg. She'll wear different outfits. For instance, the cape is ceremonial. It's not always going to be there. We're of the belief that these characters live in a real universe. Obviously it's a fictional universe, but they wouldn't continue to wear the same clothes all the time. It's just ridiculous to assume that they would. So there are variations, and that's fine with me.

Scott: In the Year One story, I had asked if we could take the film costume and make it just a little more comic book-y and a little brighter and shinier. This is her first outing wearing a Wonder Woman costume. It's freshly minted. The breastplate has just come out of the forge and it's just been dyed. It's fresh. It's her first adventure off the island.

Sharp: Whereas mine is all tattered and beaten up and scuffed.

Scott: And probably has pieces replaced. It's a more mature outfit, where mine is meant to make her look a little more optimistic.

Scott: I feel like the warrior side Wonder Woman is always tagged with is too limiting. She's really well-trained in the art of war, and she's super-powerful and incredibly skilled. But she's spent an incredibly long period of time not active in the theater of war. It doesn't really define her. I feel like it should be something she's incredibly good at, but it should not be her defining characteristic.

VERY ENCOURAGED BY THIS!!!!

Rucka: Well, let's be more specific. DIana's world, and therefore, by extension, the DCU, is a world where the Greek gods are extant. They exist. Diana's faith is never going to be in question - these gods are real. This starts with me. Back in 2003 I had the Greek gods walking around and wearing everyday clothes and interacting with the rest of the world. I think one of the mistakes I made there - it was a fine interpretation for the time - but one of the things that's really come out of talking with Liam and with Nic, and also with Mark Doyle, who's editing the book, is this idea that they should never be familiar. Once the gods become familiar, they're not divine. Their presence is felt, but it should be a big darned moment when one of them actually opens their mouth and speaks to you.

If you go and actually look at the Greek mythology, one of the worst things that could ever happen to you was to actually look at a god. In every myth, when someone has the misfortune of actually seeing a god, it ends very badly for them. That's one of the things I want to reflect. They're certainly present, and they're felt. But having gone down the road of "Here's Athena with a laptop," we're trying something a little different and maybe exploring what the nature of that faith actually is.

I agree, all this is encouraging - especially the idea that the gods are distant. And that being a warrior isn't what she's all about.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    I agree, all this is encouraging - especially the idea that the gods are distant. And that being a warrior isn't what she's all about.

Same here. Both of these elements need to be dialed back significantly IMO.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    Which is why i kinda Loved Azz's Gods. Outside of Diana, most humans met with misfortune from any deals with the gods in Azz's run. Also every normal Human got killed or was screwed over in the background when the Gods showed up in locations that contained Mortals.

Rucka Can do what ever he wants I just want to keep Strife in Wonder WOmans gallery of characters that pops up to build her up into a interesting Anti-villian. Because while she is a bit evil, she also loves her family even with the bad blood her and Diana have for one another.