Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I would rather have seen Diana build a family with Hippolyta, Donna, Cassie,and Artemis. This duplicitous public domain "family" of Diana's left something to be desired. Hera's turnabout isn't something new. Some of the other Olympians did the same thing during Azzarello's run. It's the nature of the *beast*.
    Except one of the major themes of the three year Azzarello run was hearkening back to Diana's original concept; changing hearts. She had profound effects on all of the gods, most notably Ares and Hera. The idea that Hera went from a murderous harpy to someone bouncing the baby (before they knew it was Zeus) of a woman (before they knew she was Athena) who had had an affair with her husband was such a profound demonstration of one of Diana's greatest 'powers'. Even if someone hated Azzarello's run, this quality in Diana is something that is both classic and unique among superheroes. Reformation Island, turning Paula, her greatest enemy, into an ally...these were things I loved about his run (note: there were plenty of things I *didn't* like about his run, too )

Finch has managed to tear down the good things Azzarello had done/set up (leaving Hippolyta stone then killing her, killing Manazons, bringing back dead gods, giving baby Zeke agency in the story, having all of the people Diana befriended among the gods turn out to be the same lying connivers they started out as) while accenting further the things some fans such as my self didn't like about the run, such as the barbarity of the Amazons.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm tired of every single writer coming on board (with the notable exception of Simone) and simply undoing/tearing down everything the previous writer did, and, unfortunately, Finch managed to do this more than most in her relatively short tenure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm tired of every single writer coming on board (with the notable exception of Simone) and simply undoing/tearing down everything the previous writer did, and, unfortunately, Finch managed to do this more than most in her relatively short tenure.
    I'd say thats, sadly, because Finch, unlike most, haven't replaced the things she broke with other things. Like, she brought us Eirine, and Hecate as adversaries, as was Donna, but she's now run off and wont be seen in the pages of WW for a long while... leaving it to the Titans to define her again... while the bug people and the cry baby will never be seen again.
    What is it they say? Destruction is the work of an afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I'd say thats, sadly, because Finch, unlike most, haven't replaced the things she broke with other things. Like, she brought us Eirine, and Hecate as adversaries, as was Donna, but she's now run off and wont be seen in the pages of WW for a long while... leaving it to the Titans to define her again... while the bug people and the cry baby will never be seen again.
    What is it they say? Destruction is the work of an afternoon.
    To be fair, Hecate was already an adversary in Perez's run, so not even that was new.

Hera was my favorite aspect of Azzarello's run, but I'm hoping this preview is just an illusion by Hecate to get Diana to distrust Hera.

let. this. run. die.
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    let. this. run. die.
    With no memorial service.

I wonder if DC will give Meredith another title or just bench for good.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Except one of the major themes of the three year Azzarello run was hearkening back to Diana's original concept; changing hearts. She had profound effects on all of the gods, most notably Ares and Hera. The idea that Hera went from a murderous harpy to someone bouncing the baby (before they knew it was Zeus) of a woman (before they knew she was Athena) who had had an affair with her husband was such a profound demonstration of one of Diana's greatest 'powers'. Even if someone hated Azzarello's run, this quality in Diana is something that is both classic and unique among superheroes. Reformation Island, turning Paula, her greatest enemy, into an ally...these were things I loved about his run (note: there were plenty of things I *didn't* like about his run, too )

Finch has managed to tear down the good things Azzarello had done/set up (leaving Hippolyta stone then killing her, killing Manazons, bringing back dead gods, giving baby Zeke agency in the story, having all of the people Diana befriended among the gods turn out to be the same lying connivers they started out as) while accenting further the things some fans such as my self didn't like about the run, such as the barbarity of the Amazons.

I also like it when Diana turns enemies into allies but given the duplicitous nature of the Olympians, did you or anyone else think the Olympians playing nice now that the First Born is defeated would last a long time? When Hera took on her "new leaf" she was powerless, homeless, and friendless until Diana picked her up, gave her a place to live, and eventually helped her get her powers back. Perhaps during this low point in Hera's life, she really did try to become a better diety or perhaps he was simply using Diana to get her powers back and take the throne of Olympus. Sadly, in real life, people are often only nice when they need something. I don't see Azzarello's Olympians as being any better and that is not a slam against the writer but type of characters the Olympians are now.

I'm glad that Ares and Apollo are back. While I'm not huge of Diana having Public Domain characters in her book, those two are exceptions as they've made great adversaries for her in the past and it would be a shame to table them for the foreseeable future.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I wonder if DC will give Meredith another title or just bench for good.
    Rumored to be working on something for DC that remains unannounced, via Bleeding Cool.

Fantastic Member

Who do you guys think will save the day this time? I think baby zeke will appear out of nowhere and save the day once again, Diana will be left wondering what just happened and then Hera or someone else will explain it to her.
    Last edited by Rig; 05-19-2016 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rig View Post
    Who do you guys think will save the today? I think baby zeke will appear out of nowhere and save the day once again, Diana will be left wondering what just happened and then Hera or someone else will explain it to her.
    And it will all go the way of the Dodo on May 25th!!!!
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

you can't see it right now, but I'm giving you a standing ovation ... well said!

Okay, folks, two things:

1. Discussion of the book beyond this preview should go to the WW 52 spoiler thread.

2. Creator bashing is a rules violation and will not be tolerated. If you don't like someone's art or someone's story, that's fine - feel free to discuss the work. We don't discuss the people behind the work in any negative or insulting manner.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!