Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Without... would there ever have been a...?

Without the success of Daredevil, would there ever have been a Jessica Jones?

Without Batman: The Brave and the Bold, would there ever have been an Arrow? Would Black Canary ever have been in it?

Without Honeymooners, we wouldn't have the Flintstones we wouldn't have Jetsons.
    Without Scooby Doo, we wouldn't have Speed Buggy and Jabberjaw
    Without Simpsons we wouldn't have Futurama
    Without Beverly Hills 90210, we wouldn't have Melrose Place, The OC, Dawson's Creek and teen soaps.
    Without Friends, I guess a lot

Yes there would have been an Arrow and I guess not to the Jessica Jones

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    Yes. Jessica Jones was already being produced long before the first season of Daredevil aired. Marvel has a plan for their TV and Netflix shows very similar to their movie plans. We knew Marvel was doing a Luke Cage show and an Iron Fist show before the first season of Daredevil aired too.

Without Batman: The Brave and the Bold, would there ever have been an Arrow? Would Black Canary ever have been in it?
    It seems strange that you think Green Arrow's popularity is tied to Batman:TB&TB. Green Arrow and Black Canary have been very popular DC characters in the comics for a very long time (as evidenced by very positive fan reaction to both in Justice League Unlimited and Young Justice).

One could make the case that Arrow's success depended more on the very positive reaction to Nolan's Batman movies then anything else.

BANNED

Without the 1926 film The Bat, would there have been a Batman...or at least a Batman that looks anything like he does today?

Pretty sure the answer is no.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post

Jessica Jones was part of a big overall deal between Netflix, Marvel, and ABC. Daredevil could have failed and they probably would have still went on with the other shows, we just wouldn't have had that second season of Daredevil not long ago.

Jessica Jones was also filming before Daredevil aired, and they film these Netflix shows more like movies.

I'm not really sure what Batman: The Brave and the Bold has to do with the Arrow tv show. Now, if Batman Begins hadn't been a movie, probably not.

Without the success of Iron man, would there ever have been a MCU
    "There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth"

Mighty Member

Without Star Wars, there would be no Battlestar Galactica

Without Science Ninja Team Gatchman, there would be no Super Soldier Sentai, Sailor Moon, or any other colorful team of 5 super hero show.

Without Zorro, there would be no Batman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Without Honeymooners, we wouldn't have the Flintstones we wouldn't have Jetsons.
    Without Scooby Doo, we wouldn't have Speed Buggy and Jabberjaw
    Without Simpsons we wouldn't have Futurama
    Without Beverly Hills 90210, we wouldn't have Melrose Place, The OC, Dawson's Creek and teen soaps.
    Without Friends, I guess a lot

Yes there would have been an Arrow and I guess not to the Jessica Jones
    I can't really think of any shows Friends gave rise to that anyone would remember. The Friends like shows never made it beyond their first seasons.

Beverly Hills, 90210 was a Aaron Spelling, and he did Dynasty before that, so you'd still maybe get some of those primetime soaps. Dawson's Creek probably still happens too, that's Kevin Williams hot off Scream coming to tv to do another thing about teens.

While those cartoons are ripoff Scooby Doo shows, I could still kind of see them happening without Scooby Doo. I mean, the Mystery Inc gang is just The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. I could see them doing The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis with Jaws, and Many Loves of Dobie Gillis with Herbie the Love Bug/My Mother the Car.

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis does remind me though. Without that show you probably don't get thing Saved By the Bell and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
    Last edited by simbob4000; 05-18-2016 at 05:45 AM.

Happy endings is new age friends. Three seasons that lasted.

I think we should say without Smallville there would be no Arrow. Smallville really was the genesis of the age of the new golden age of superhero television.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    Without Star Wars, there would be no Battlestar Galactica

Without Science Ninja Team Gatchman, there would be no Super Soldier Sentai, Sailor Moon, or any other colorful team of 5 super hero show.

Without Zorro, there would be no Batman.
    Science Ninja Team Gatchaman started in the '70s; Ultraman, Giant Robo, Cyborg 009, Kamen Rider, and some other things were before it.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I can't really think of any shows Friends gave rise to that anyone would remember. The Friends like shows never made it beyond their first seasons.

Beverly Hills, 90210 was a Aaron Spelling, and he did Dynasty before that, so you'd still maybe get some of those primetime soaps. Dawson's Creek probably still happens too, that's Kevin Williams hot off Scream coming to tv to do another thing about teens.

While those cartoons are ripoff Scooby Doo shows, I could still kind of see them happening without Scooby Doo. I mean, the Mystery Inc gang is just The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. I could see them doing The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis with Jaws, and Many Loves of Dobie Gillis with Herbie the Love Bug/My Mother the Car.

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis does remind me though. Without that show you probably don't get thing Saved By the Bell and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I dunno because if you think about how trail blazing 90210 was, I doubt you'll see those type of programs. Without it you would have teen soaps or darker shows. I mean you might be right of but it kind of blazed the way, you know what I mean. The show was heavily important. It is not just primetime soaps, teen soaps. Even the creator of The OC said without 90210, it would really exist.

Without All in the Family (I think), you wouldn't have had the Jeffersons and so on. Without Survivor, don't think you'll have the Amazing Race and other reality shows.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Happy endings is new age friends. Three seasons that lasted.

I think we should say without Smallville there would be no Arrow. Smallville really was the genesis of the age of the new golden age of superhero television.
    Happy Endings didn't really strike me much like Friends at all. There were four different shows (Happy Endings being one of them) on three different networks that came on around that time that all felt pretty similar, if those shows were leaning into a past show, it was probably Seinfeld; they all just had more characters, beside New Girl.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I dunno because if you think about how trail blazing 90210 was, I doubt you'll see those type of programs. Without it you would have teen soaps or darker shows. I mean you might be right of but it kind of blazed the way, you know what I mean. The show was heavily important. It is not just primetime soaps, teen soaps. Even the creator of The OC said without 90210, it would really exist.

Without All in the Family (I think), you wouldn't have had the Jeffersons and so on. Without Survivor, don't think you'll have the Amazing Race and other reality shows.
    There were teen movies and shows before. The OC might not exist without 90210, but Aaron Spelling was doing primetime soaps before Beverly Hills. He probably still makes Melrose Place. Given all the teen movies from the '80s, and how huge those were, I'm going to say some teen shows of the '90s still happen without Beverly Hills, 90210. Beverly Hills, 90210 also wasn't a "dark" show, so I'm not sure what the darker shows point is; there were darker shows than Beverly Hills, 90210 before Beverly Hills, 20210. You're still probably getting My So-Called Life, and you're still probably getting Dawson's Creek; if Dawson's Creek happens The WB/The CW still all looks the same.

The Jeffersons one seems like a bit of a cheat, it is a direct spinoff of characters from All in the Family. There were some movies like The Jeffersons, so maybe you still get Norman Lear doing something like it anyways.

By the time those two reality shows came around, reality shows were on there way. They started on PBS with The Family, they became MTV's Real World and Road Rules of the '90s, and by the 2000s we were importing Real World with a twist from movies and books over here.

Without the Sopranos, I don't think there would be as many acclaimed HBO shows as there is, including Game of Thrones.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Without the Sopranos, I don't think there would be as many acclaimed HBO shows as there is, including Game of Thrones.
    HBO was doing that whole "It's Not TV, It's HBO" thing since the mid-'90s, and that was because of its tv shows, doc series, and huge comedy specials. They were doing Oz for a couple years before Sopranos, Sex and the City was a pretty big deal when it first started, From the Earth to the Moon was a huge acclaimed miniseries that was sold as a kind of sequal to Apollo 13, they had The Larry Sanders Show since the early '90s, Mr. Show was there, the Larry David: Curb Your Enthusiasm special that would later become the show aired later the same year Sopranos started.

Without The Sopranos I think they still have those other shows, that seems to be a direct they were going in since Oz, but they don't get to have having that Sopranos father in their cap.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    HBO was doing that whole "It's Not TV, It's HBO" thing since the mid-'90s, and that was because of its tv shows, doc series, and huge comedy specials. They were doing Oz for a couple years before Sopranos, Sex and the City was a pretty big deal when it first started, From the Earth to the Moon was a huge acclaimed miniseries that was sold as a kind of sequal to Apollo 13, they had The Larry Sanders Show since the early '90s, Mr. Show was there, the Larry David: Curb Your Enthusiasm special that would later become the show aired later the same year Sopranos started.

Without The Sopranos I think they still have those other shows, that seems to be a direct they were going in since Oz, but they don't get to have having that Sopranos father in their cap.
    I dunno. I get the vibe that HBO was doing a lot of critically-acclaimed shows and they were expertly-produced and marketed exceptionally, but the spotlight didn't really latch on to them before the Sopranos.

It felt like Sopranos was a game-changer for HBO, in that, people were going "WOW! How is this a TV show? It's produced like a series of films" kind of deal. In a lot of ways, like Showtime having Dexter. I'm sure Showtime had a lot of shows, but Dexter had to be that one show that said things are different.

Personally, I've never seen a single episode of the Sopranos. Never will. I just knew HBO existed before the Sopranos, but as soon as that show started airing, the landscape for TV seemed to change.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/