Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I'm enjoying Gotham's second season more than the first. I love that the show takes the silliness of the source material, cranks it up to 11 and has fun with it. The camp is easily my favorite thing about the show.
    Weird, inconsistent fluctuation between camp and gore for me. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I mean, one moment the show embraces its wacky, inexplicable comic-book roots, and seems to celebrate it too, and the next there's two teenagers being cut up into pieces, cooked in stew, and then fed to their mother at supper. Ridiculous.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unfinishedsentenc View Post
    Weird, inconsistent fluctuation between camp and gore for me. Leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I mean, one moment the show embraces its wacky, inexplicable comic-book roots, and seems to celebrate it too, and the next there's two teenagers being cut up into pieces, cooked in stew, and then fed to their mother at supper. Ridiculous.
    I actually love the way the tone changes throughout episodes. It feels like a spiritual almagation of the many tones throughout Batmans history. Makes the show feel more mythic to me than it would be if it was just a straight cop procedural.

Honestly that's how you have to watch it. Imagine this being like a bunch of people telling the myth of Gotham.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I lost interest in Gotham mainly because of what it could have been.

I know it has its fans and I understand it has gotten better, but I just see a wasted chance at a true Gotham Central show.
    Thank god they didn't go with that boring idea, especially with this actor playing Gordon. Gordon is easily my least favorite character on the show. Good thing he can hardly be called the "main" character.

Mighty Member

This show was plain bad in the first season, but nowadays, it's a guilty pleasure at best.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

The idea that Batman is too big for the small screen is absurd. TV and serialized comics have far more in coming than movies and comics. Just see Netflix's Daredevil. What I would like to see is a series set in the time period where Bruce is training around the globe. Now that would be compelling if done right.

Comparing that abhorrent CW show and Daredevil? Blasphemy, utter blasphemy. I'm a DC fan to the bone, but even I can admit that their shows suck.
    The Flash is a very enjoyable series. I just couldn't get into Daredevil.

Quote Originally Posted by KingsLeadHat View Post
    The idea that Batman is too big for the small screen is absurd. TV and serialized comics have far more in coming than movies and comics. Just see Netflix's Daredevil. What I would like to see is a series set in the time period where Bruce is training around the globe. Now that would be compelling if done right.
    Batman is tailor-made for TV. Play up the "detective" angle and worry less about zany effects and there ya go.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Gorn Identity View Post
    Batman is tailor-made for TV. Play up the "detective" angle and worry less about zany effects and there ya go.
    Exactly; and he has a strong enough supporting cast regardless of which era of his history you go with.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    In a perfect world...this show would shift to following Bruce Wayne around the world. I'd love to see David Mazaous as a young Bruce traveling and training his skills.

As it stands, the villains are arriving too early.
    Agreed, the villains will be collecting their social security by the time Batman finally shows up

I personally dont want to wait 10 years for Batman to finally show up like they did with Smallville

Comparing that abhorrent CW show and Daredevil? Blasphemy, utter blasphemy. I'm a DC fan to the bone, but even I can admit that their shows suck.
    Same here, Im a DC fan but I watch Daredevil & Jessica Jones along with the Flash but I gave up Gotham at the start of season 2, I couldnt take any more of it.

Agreed, I read a review once which said it was like some weird gritty update of the Adam West show! The weird mood whiplash in Gotham really didnt work

As others have mentioned I would rather we had a Gotham Central styled show where Batman already existed so while the villains can turn up (Like Mr Freeze did in the first issue) we can also get a few Batman or Robin appearances as well unlike this show where we know Batman wont show up for a long time unless they do a time skip for season 3 or 4

Amazing Member

I look at the show as kind of a Elseworld's tale. I did prefer the first season where it focused on the mob but with the craziness of the 2nd season it's become a guilty pleasure.

All-New Member

This has been such a disappointing show for me personally. When it was first announced I was hoping for a psychological cop drama that subtly explored the madness of gotham, but instead we've got an in-your-face, rushed Batman wannabe show.

If they really wanted to do a Batman TV show, but overcome any budget restraints my preference would have been a lower-scale elseworlds story such as Gotham by Gaslight. You'd have a decent concept for a Batman TV series, whilst overcoming the financial issues of creating a high-tech hero for the screen.

Gordon IS Batman for all intents and purposes in this show.

Trying to marry it to comic book continuity will hurt your brain.

Just enjoy it for the fun that it is.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcomicnerd View Post
    I look at the show as kind of a Elseworld's tale. I did prefer the first season where it focused on the mob but with the craziness of the 2nd season it's become a guilty pleasure.
    That's how I look at it.

This is a Gotham that went nuts at an accelerated rate, long before Bruce had a chance to grow up and become Batman. As such, this younger Gordon has had to make compromises and dark alliances, because there's no Batman to do the heavy lifting.

It's far from perfect, but I enjoy it for what it is.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdotluci View Post
    Is there a reason why they cannot make a Batman series?
    According to WB they don't want Batman, as in the cape version, outside of the movies. So no they can't make a pure on Batman series until whatever bee in the bonnets of the WB execs gets out and they realize that "Hey you can have two versions of the same guys running around."

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    They have their own little playground to work with and a big box of toys to play with, why not play with them?
    The problem is that some of these characters are "Bigger then life" and tend to not work well against characters that are grounded in reality. You have to either make them more real or don't use them. Hints of them work I think, but over all making them a big part in the story, not a hot idea.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I lost interest in Gotham mainly because of what it could have been.

I know it has its fans and I understand it has gotten better, but I just see a wasted chance at a true Gotham Central show.
    I was hoping for a Gotham Central show honestly. Showing a new cop coming into town, even pre batman and dealing with the start of all the insanity. Like the mob bosses, having a young Harvey Dent working there, or maybe having him be an intern at the place. You could also have Montoya and a slightly older Commissioner Gordan, maybe show hints of Batman coming into being, or dealing with the lower level rogues rather then the ones that most people associate Batman with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gorn Identity View Post
    That would have been cool. You save the larger then life characters for later, you have bruce starting out learning to be the detective that he is going to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    Agreed, the villains will be collecting their social security by the time Batman finally shows up

I personally dont want to wait 10 years for Batman to finally show up like they did with Smallville
    The issue is, I think, that you need to have some villains around pre batman. Penguin I can see being older than Batman, maybe Zazzs or some of the lesser known characters. This way you strike a balance.

Same here, Im a DC fan but I watch Daredevil & Jessica Jones along with the Flash but I gave up Gotham at the start of season 2, I couldnt take any more of it.

Agreed, I read a review once which said it was like some weird gritty update of the Adam West show! The weird mood whiplash in Gotham really didnt work

As others have mentioned I would rather we had a Gotham Central styled show where Batman already existed so while the villains can turn up (Like Mr Freeze did in the first issue) we can also get a few Batman or Robin appearances as well unlike this show where we know Batman wont show up for a long time unless they do a time skip for season 3 or 4
    Ugh I hate when shows do that. "Here have some gore with your laughs." sounds like something the Joker would do. Yeah I agree, maybe during his early years, and make the case be about Dick's parents as the over all story arc for the first season. That could work, I would think. A young Harvey Dent working his way up to head Prosecutor, trying to do good and dealing with his own demons. You could have either Julie Madison or Vicky Vale as part of the cast for a reporter angle or someone that has ties to the GPD with her father as a defense lawyer. Several of the mob bosses work well here, as do other characters. It's not like there's not some D list villains you can't use.

Quote Originally Posted by Media_Cultus View Post
    This has been such a disappointing show for me personally. When it was first announced I was hoping for a psychological cop drama that subtly explored the madness of gotham, but instead we've got an in-your-face, rushed Batman wannabe show.

If they really wanted to do a Batman TV show, but overcome any budget restraints my preference would have been a lower-scale elseworlds story such as Gotham by Gaslight. You'd have a decent concept for a Batman TV series, whilst overcoming the financial issues of creating a high-tech hero for the screen.
    Same I gave it a watch for a few episodes, but then I was like, no...not my cup of tea. I mean really there's a lot you can do with Bruce in his early years for this series honestly that wouldn't cost an arm or a leg.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackcomicnerd View Post
    I look at the show as kind of a Elseworld's tale.
    Like most adaptations are.

I don't understand why people get so mad about this show.