Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mawwadge!

Default Mawwadge!

For all the harping on the Pre-Flashpoint marriages going away I can't remember a marriage were the regular person was male and the hero female. It's always Male Hero/Female Reg. What gives? If the female hero did get married it was always to a another hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    For all the harping on the Pre-Flashpoint marriages going away I can't remember a marriage were the regular person was male and the hero female. It's always Male Hero/Female Reg. What gives? If the female hero did get married it was always to a another hero.
    Didn't Donna Troy marry a regular guy? (unless he was retconned to be something else...)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Didn't Donna Troy marry a regular guy? (unless he was retconned to be something else...)
    Damn forgot about that guy but he did get fridged very quickly.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Damn forgot about that guy but he did get fridged very quickly.
    No he didn't, they were together throughout the whole of the eighties and most of the early nineties. Then they divorced and he lived for a few years behind that before being killed in Wonder Woman.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    No he didn't, they were together throughout the whole of the eighties and most of the early nineties. Then they divorced and he lived for a few years behind that before being killed in Wonder Woman.
    Wow, thats really awesome. +1 for in universe knowledge, good neighbor.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

I'm not a fan of characters getting married or having kids if it wasn't part of the original concept. That always seems to make things worse, both in comics and on television.

Fantastic Member

Immature male power fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by missingmarch View Post
    Immature male power fantasy.
    It wouldn't surprise me if in some cases, it's almost the opposite where they put the female hero on such a pedestal, that they don't want to see them "gotten" by a regular dude. Only a hero would be worthy.

BANNED

It wouldn't surprise me if in some cases, it's almost the opposite where they put the female hero on such a pedestal, that they don't want to see them "gotten" by a regular dude. Only a hero would be worthy.
    I think you're right there. The tendency is to laugh at the idea of Steve Trevor with Wonder Woman. They think she needs Superman.

Can we really call Terry a regular guy though? What he lacked in superpowers he made up in general creepiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Can we really call Terry a regular guy though? What he lacked in superpowers he made up in general creepiness.
    In interviews George Perez has said that Terry Long was Marv Wolfman Projecting himself on to the comic page. An divorced older man with two kids can still get "the girl" kind of thing.

BTW I love the Princess Bride reference.
    Last edited by Ropeburn; 05-19-2016 at 09:53 AM.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropeburn View Post
    In interviews George Perez has said that Terry Long was Marv Wolfman Projecting himself on to the comic page. An divorced older man with two kids can still get "the girl" kind of thing.

BTW I love the Princess Bride reference.
    Ok, now that's even creepier...

Astonishing Member

Reversals of the norm are rare in almost all aspects of comicdom in truth. Like the above.

And you're rarely going to ever have a female superhero with a male sidekick unless it's their child or relative (which is a rarer concept in of itself but yeah).

Even with Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor you could kind of tell when they made Steve Trevor he was kind of being set up to be the best possible human male since he's a top member of the US military etc... something trumped up even more in the new 52 with him as what was it ARGUS' connection to the League or a govt ambassador? And a pretty big badass on his own but still human and normal otherwise.

BANNED

A male super-hero might have a Britney Spears for a wife or a girlfriend, but no female super-hero is going to have a Kevin Federline for a husband or a boyfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I'm not a fan of characters getting married or having kids if it wasn't part of the original concept. That always seems to make things worse, both in comics and on television.
    Well said. Example of where it's good: Animal Man (revived Morrison version obviously as it's basically a new character), Elongated Man

Bad: Superman (the tension between him and Lois is crucial), Spider-Man (One More Day!), pretty much everyone else

In the Image comic Jupiter's Circle, Lady Liberty, a powerful superhero, is shown to have a lousy dating life despite aggressively pursuing non-powered guys. Eventually she marries another hero, The Utopian. It's Millar's wry commentary on this very issue.