Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Super Moderator

Default Geoff Johns Wants DC Films to Include More 'Hope & Optimism'

Though he wouldn't confirm reports that he is now in charge of DC Films, the DC Entertainment CCO was clear that the brand needs hope and optimism.

Full article here.

I'll believe it when they finally get rid of Zack Snyder.

there's too much hope and optimism in movies. We need grim/dark stuff, too.

I'm sure there will be plenty in Wonder Woman.

No need to water things down.

I used to have such faith in Johns.. and then the green lantern movie and the new 52 happened.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I used to have such faith in Johns.. and then the green lantern movie and the new 52 happened.
    Geoff Johns as a producer on Green Lantern was simply just for being a consultant for Green Lantern mythology. The New 52 certainly wasn't all him because he just continued his Green Lantern run right into the New 52.

A good script. Last two DC movies did not have it. Neither did GL. Plus this is kinda ironic coming from the guy whose use of Superman in his JL run as mostly mind controlled, poisoned, or dying. And then he did a rather boring Superman story on his short Superman stint in new 52. Civil War hitting WB/DC hard, lol. It's called cohesive writing and character development.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Yeah, but come on. A grim/dark Batman movie works for the character, a grim/dark Justice League Dark ditto, a grim/dark Superman though? I dunno what DCs problem is there. Batman is selling so well every character should be like him? Superman might as well be Lobo at this point.

The DCEU doesn't seem to be having any fun. That's the biggest issue. Going to a Marvel movie is fun. The stories are fun, the characters are fun, the whole thing is fun. DC just seems desperate to strike the opposite chord but should really be trying to balance it out if anything. If there was ever a character that needs to feel fun and hopeful, it's Superman. Dragging him down into Batman's realm of grim and gritty doesn't accentuate what is best about Superman. It hides it.

So more hope and optimism is a step in the right direction, but I'm not entirely convince Geoff Johns is the one to get us there.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    The DCEU doesn't seem to be having any fun. That's the biggest issue. Going to a Marvel movie is fun. The stories are fun, the characters are fun, the whole thing is fun. DC just seems desperate to strike the opposite chord but should really be trying to balance it out if anything. If there was ever a character that needs to feel fun and hopeful, it's Superman. Dragging him down into Batman's realm of grim and gritty doesn't accentuate what is best about Superman. It hides it.

So more hope and optimism is a step in the right direction, but I'm not entirely convince Geoff Johns is the one to get us there.
    Ironically, I felt that Batman was the lighter-hearted between him and Superman. Batman actually managed to get a few snarky quips in, but I don't think Superman did (not that snarky quips have ever been his thing).

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post

I agree. After Johns made his splash as a modern day Roy Thomas, but, in recent years, I don't enjoy his work. I've been mocking things like "who gets their head punched off this issue?" or "how many arms get ripped off" for a while. I don't think DC comics will really bounce back until they take the reins from Didio, Johns, Lee, and Nelson, but it's not going to help the movie side if those folks somehow land there. there.

there's too much hope and optimism in movies.
    Don't watch a Superman film then.

That's the whole problem here, DC trying to force grimdark on a character of theirs that is the complete opposite. No wonder MoS and BvS were middling.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Don't watch a Superman film then.

That's the whole problem here, DC trying to force grimdark on a character of theirs that is the complete opposite. No wonder MoS and BvS were middling.
    I caught my bro watching MOS on reg cable TV. He didn't even bother letting his Superman-loving sister know it was on. He was right not to bother. I took one glance at the screen and knew that even free I had zero interest in seeing MOS. Went back to watching a Doctor Who ep I'd seen half a dozen times already. Still no regrets other than the regret that DC is stupid.

Nor did bro say afterwards that he thought the movie was even so much as decent, so I was right in my decision.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I caught my bro watching MOS on reg cable TV. He didn't even bother letting his Superman-loving sister know it was on. He was right not to bother. I took one glance at the screen and knew that even free I had zero interest in seeing MOS. Went back to watching a Doctor Who ep I'd seen half a dozen times already. Still no regrets other than the regret that DC is stupid.

Nor did bro say afterwards that he thought the movie was even so much as decent, so I was right in my decision.
    The funny this is now Man of Steel is the "joyful happy one".

BANNED

But in each film there needs to be a bit of a balance, otherwise (as evidenced by BvS) it becomes overwhelmingly dark and joyless. It is well documented that in rough times (real world) people prefer their "reel world" entertainment to be more light. And when times are good, people gravitate towards darker entertainment. So the way things are now, the general audience in the world is looking for slightly more lighthearted fare.