Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Really good series. The ending was a low point, IMO, the issue was good but was not a good ending, it kinda felt like the middle. It should've have couple more issues.

Over all, I really enjoyed it. I liked the characterization of everyone. The stories were fun and emotional. The last issue was a bit lacking. There were a few threads that were left hanging, possibly to be addressed in a future series. I particularly loved Landis' version of Lex. I thought it was a really fun and well thought out take on Superman. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Astonishing Member

I really adored American Alien. I mean I'd like to see what Landis can do in a more mainstream capacity but perhaps out-of-continuity suits him more, because these feel so slice of life.

My only nitpick is the recasting of Jimmy as African-American (at least Landis kept the red hair and frecks, though, those are defining character traits), but that's because I'm a befreckled ginger and I'm sensitive, like being represented, and keep noticing how it's always the gingers that are racelifted to be black (lookin' at you original conception of NuWally). But I adore the fact that he seemed to be gay. Jimmy would be a perfect gay or bisexual character, because he's still Superman's Best Pal, and is still a ridiculously daring and courageous action/news photographer, putting his life on the line for journalism, art, and creative pursuits. That would track remarkably well with a gay/bisexual Metropolis young man who is like, out and proud and daring. I'd write the hell out of a Jimmy Olsen book if he was bisexual. Sidenote; he'd totally end up romantically entangled with Lightray.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Amazing Member

I loved the characterisation and plot points of the first few issues but the Agent of Batman thing kind of left a sour taste.

Interestingly, I saw a tweet from Landis about how if he gets to do AoB, we'll get to see how easily his Clark can be outmatched by Aquaman, Flash, WW et al But I mean, why? Haven't we had enough incompetent Supes to last a lifetime? What's wrong with Superman actually being competent? Some of Landis' idea of Superman don't really agree with my sensibilities (like having Superman needing training from Batman to beat Doomsday, like WW I get, but Batman?), but I'm hoping those plot points aren't big enough to ruin what should be a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    My only nitpick is the recasting of Jimmy as African-American (at least Landis kept the red hair and frecks, though, those are defining character traits), but that's because I'm a befreckled ginger and I'm sensitive, like being represented, and keep noticing how it's always the gingers that are racelifted to be black (lookin' at you original conception of NuWally). But I adore the fact that he seemed to be gay. Jimmy would be a perfect gay or bisexual character, because he's still Superman's Best Pal, and is still a ridiculously daring and courageous action/news photographer, putting his life on the line for journalism, art, and creative pursuits. That would track remarkably well with a gay/bisexual Metropolis young man who is like, out and proud and daring. I'd write the hell out of a Jimmy Olsen book if he was bisexual. Sidenote; he'd totally end up romantically entangled with Lightray.
    My nitpick whith the change was that I didn't see the point. He appeared like in one page, so if he wanted to add diversity it wasn't a good choice to show him so little.

It started out awesome but got progressively average toward the end. Also it was too brief. It probably should've been 12 issues.

It's a good read and an interesting take but I think Grant Morison's N52 origin is better (it's only drawback is the fill-in artists and the unnecessary Steel chapters)

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    It was almost like this was a response to all the complaints about Jimmy being African-American on the TV show Supergirl. People kept saying Jimmy was always white in the comic books. So here was proof that Jimmy isn't always white in the comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Facundo Merello View Post
    My nitpick whith the change was that I didn't see the point. He appeared like in one page, so if he wanted to add diversity it wasn't a good choice to show him so little.
    Lois is Asian in the book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Lois is Asian in the book.
    ..And in this world The Flash is half-Korean and Wonder Woman is black (Max Landis confirmed it on Twitter).
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    ..And in this world The Flash is half-Korean and Wonder Woman is black (Max Landis confirmed it on Twitter).
    I bet that Landis' Martian Manhunter is a white guy.