Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    A friend of mine recently had an Alaskan Malamute rescue . The thing went nuts and attacked a friend of his, tearing up the guys face. A witness relayed to me that my friend (a former college football player in excellent shape) threw the thing across the massive dog and took the wind out of its sails, but not before getting a pretty bad bite to the arm.
    Oof, sorry to hear, man.

But yea, Malamutes are bred for strength and endurance. Properly trained, they can singlehandedly pull around a ton or so.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Kangels are also truly massive dogs. Like, bigger than your average wolf by a pretty fair margin. I think any decent sized canine is going to do some serious damage to a person, regardless of the outcome, because I guarantee it's going to tear up at least one of your limbs. However, I do think at there comes a point where a human should be able to take a canine. It's dependent on:

1) That person being able to fight through pain, because a bloodlusted pooch is going to draw some serious blood.
    2) Knowing where to target on a dog. (Essentially having the proper training.)
    3) The dog's mass not exceeding that person's strength by a certain margin.
    You're missing something else - the human's capacity to fight through actual shock. Once real wounds appear, shock can cripple or incapacitate, or at least impair.

There's an enormous difference between rough-housing and 'I just got bitten down to the bone'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid-who-cried-wolf View Post
    Some dog can take solid uncontested uppercut to the chin/face from a human with the hitting power slightly superior to Mike Tyson coming at faster speeds? Its brain isn't going to shake? This is more power than any living human can generate with a punch, much less a solid kick. That's not enough to make the dog stagger?
    The issue is for said 'peak human' to hit a dog in the head with an 'uppercut' (I assume you mean punch, because the only way a human is 'uppercutting' a dog is if the human is on the ground and the dog is on top of him, and the human A - isn't generating power like that any more and B - is kind of in a very bad place...or perhaps the human is on his knees, which is really a bad place to generate power and a horrible place to be when a large dog is attacking) while the dog is trying to latch onto his arm and shred it.

I'm none too sanguine about the human's chances of just up and hitting said charging dog with a combination, especially since dogs, they don't fight like we do, they don't move like we do, they aren't at the same height that we are, and they don't stand in punching range and trade blows allowing people to fire their own strikes back. They bowl into you, grab with teeth, and try to drag you down while worrying with their teeth nicely sunk in (bleeding, damage to muscles, shock, etc). And the angles aren't those to which a human is accustomed to hit: downward and too close.

Popping one in the nose mid-charge isn't likely to just happen.

On the other hand, I'd figure a Comic Book Peak Human could beat ANY living animal. They're too fast, have pressure points, and many real life animals just lay down to die once their stamina is shot. Batman could just run around until it gets tired and then beat on it. Rinse and repeat until something breaks, or the animal dies of thirst/hunger. Edit: Hell, batman should be able to beat a Great White Shark in water...
    For this, I'll wager you have a point.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 05-19-2016 at 11:18 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid-who-cried-wolf View Post
    Some dog can take solid uncontested uppercut to the chin/face from a human with the hitting power slightly superior to Mike Tyson coming at faster speeds? Its brain isn't going to shake? This is more power than any living human can generate with a punch, much less a solid kick. That's not enough to make the dog stagger?

On the other hand, I'd figure a Comic Book Peak Human could beat ANY living animal. They're too fast, have pressure points, and many real life animals just lay down to die once their stamina is shot. Batman could just run around until it gets tired and then beat on it. Rinse and repeat until something breaks, or the animal dies of thirst/hunger. Edit: Hell, batman should be able to beat a Great White Shark in water...
    What about fictional and/or extinct animals then?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Fictional animals? Oh, lord. Oodles of them can kill comic book peak humans.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Torme View Post
    A kitty or a mouse could probably kill a peak human if they wew determined to
    Only if they were bringing the rabies.

There's "fiction is overselling unarmed combat" and then there's goin to far in the other direction.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    The issue is for said 'peak human' to hit a dog in the head with an 'uppercut' (I assume you mean punch, because the only way a human is 'uppercutting' a dog is if the human is on the ground and the dog is on top of him, and the human A - isn't generating power like that any more and B - is kind of in a very bad place...or perhaps the human is on his knees, which is really a bad place to generate power and a horrible place to be when a large dog is attacking) while the dog is trying to latch onto his arm and shred it.
    Or the dog is jumping on the human (preferably from a higher vantage point, for maximum uppercutness).

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I heard that the best way for a random schlub to fight off a large angry dog is to use one arm to guard your throat and try to shove the other in the dog's mouth and attempt to crush/rip-out its tongue while you think happy thoughts about the major advancements made in the field of prosthetics.

If you're going to go THAT far, you might as well just try to shove your fist down it's windpipe. It's just about as believable.

EDIT: and a lot more likely to get your forearm chewed up than all your more fragile fingers.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

The proper answer to this thread is one standard pigeon. Sitting on a power line. Above the Peak Human's freshly washed sports car.

The method of death will be either heart attack or accidental self-induced electrocution.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    You're missing something else - the human's capacity to fight through actual shock. Once real wounds appear, shock can cripple or incapacitate, or at least impair.

There's an enormous difference between rough-housing and 'I just got bitten down to the bone'.
    Granted, but a dog COULD suffer the same problem if someone manages to grab ahold of one of it's legs and damage it. I don't like the odds of that happenign before teeth meet flesh, but it's not impossible. But it isn't impossible to deflect or catch a lunging dog if you know it's coming.

Edit: and your points about dogs attacking in ways we aren't used to is fair, but my point is some people are used to it. I'd probably favor someone with experience man handling dogs over someone who was really good at hurting people, in this scenario.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 05-19-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Small cat might be able to do it. Small cat as in not the big cats, but like maybe a lynx or bobcat. Certainly a cougar who barely misses the big cat designation.

Or a smaller raptor like smaller owls or smaller eagles.

Dweller in the West Primetime Harder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by byc View Post
    Or a smaller raptor like smaller owls or smaller eagles.
    A CBPH would have the reaction speed to dodge something like that, or even grab them out of the air and use them as a weapon.

Now, a peregrine falcon, on the other hand, is pretty physically weak but dives at around 200mph and might hit a crucial artery or something. Then again, a lot of CBPH's have feats of reacting to stuff faster than that, I'm pretty sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Are there any ghost types that are immune to fire, ice, and gorilla marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I hate you all, from chimpan a to chimpan z.
    "Doom drinks your milkshake!" -PatchMadripoor

Original join date: 6/2007

Have you seen dogs in a frenzy?
    They have a ridiculous amount of pain tolerance.
    They basically continue to fight when their face is already hanging half-way down.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

what about a liger?

Anyone mention a mosquito?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.