Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Are Marvel/DC Crossovers Canon?

I could have sworn I read sometime that one of the crossovers actually had some connective tissue to DC Comics in general, like some plotline was followed up in a just-DC comic. So I was wondering if that was true.

I'm only really aware of 3 crossovers.

1976: Superman vs. The Amazing Spider-Man - Takes place in an Elseworld inhabited by both characters.

1996: DC vs. Marvel

2003: JLA/Avengers - This, I don't believe, referenced DC vs. Marvel, and had characters meeting for the first time again. Tell me if I'm wrong.

If the story involves dimensional travel, then it is canon to 616 and I THINK is also canon to the Post-Crisis continuity.

I recall there were specifically creator statements regarding JLA that stated it is canon to both.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

There are other DC/Marvel crossovers like Hulk/Batman, Green Lantern/Silver Surfer, Batman/Spider-Man and Punisher/Batman with GOD DAMN AZRAEL.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    There are other DC/Marvel crossovers like Hulk/Batman, Green Lantern/Silver Surfer, Batman/Spider-Man and Punisher/Batman with GOD DAMN AZRAEL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    I'm only really aware of 3 crossovers.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Categ..._DC_Crossovers
    There were a lot of Marvel/DC crossovers back in the day, but they don't do it anymore.

The 1976 Spider-Man/Superman crossover was referenced in the first ever Marvel What If issue. Uatu said he wasn't sure if this was 616 or some other universe, IIRC.

JLA/Avengers was canon at least in the DCU.

At the end of that story the Marvel and DC heroes had defeated Krona and he was trapped in a “cosmic egg”. When Kurt Busiek (who wrote JLA/Avengers) took over the Justice League book he started the story with the team observing the cosmic egg and making sure Krona was still trapped inside.

So in DC continuity Superman has KO’d a Norse thunder god from another earth

Astonishing Member

With the exception of JLA AVENGERS, the others are on their own listed worlds.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    JLA/Avengers was canon at least in the DCU.

At the end of that story the Marvel and DC heroes had defeated Krona and he was trapped in a “cosmic egg”. When Kurt Busiek (who wrote JLA/Avengers) took over the Justice League book he started the story with the team observing the cosmic egg and making sure Krona was still trapped inside.

So in DC continuity Superman has KO’d a Norse thunder god from another earth
    Wow, thanks for that!

I also seem to remember a Marvel story, tho maybe it was DC, where there were some sort of Infinity-Stone-like-MacGuffin objects that were used in one of the crossovers and continued to be used in other series.

I believe JLA/Avengers is canon. Or was...who knows as far as DC's concerned.

Elements of Marvel vs. DC have been referenced--like Wonder Woman lifting Thor's hammer and there was a comic where Lobo said he was bribed to throw his fight against Wolverine--but I don't know if the whole series is considered canon.

JLA/Avengers was canon to Busiek's JLA and presumably Marvel. Captain America/Batman is more or less canon to Superman/Batman Generations- the Joker makes allusion to being in a Russian prison camp in Generations, which is from that series. The general consensus of the majority of the others were they took place on their own Earth since some degree of canon seemed shared- this is presumably the merged Earth from JLA/Avengers.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Marvel has been making references to DC characters since the seventies. So maybe I'm being pedantic by saying no. I don't know much about crossovers with mainstream books. I know that the Earth that the seventies and early eighties crossovers took place on were supposedly one of the Earths that was destroyed by Crisis. I know that some later stories, like Batman/Spiderman are treated as living on the same Earth.
    Last edited by superduperman; 01-25-2024 at 06:32 PM.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    The general consensus of the majority of the others were they took place on their own Earth since some degree of canon seemed shared- this is presumably the merged Earth from JLA/Avengers.
    Hey, I hadn't thought of that! Neat!

I've said for years that all of the crossovers in which Marvel and DC characters occupy the same Earth took place on Earth-Twinkie, the Earth all the Hostess ads happen on. This was also, to my mind, Earth-B, where much of Bob Haney's BRAVE & BOLD run took place, along with various other Murray Boltinoff-edited stories. But that could still all be true.

Unless --

I'm trying to remember if there ever actually was a merged Earth in JLA/AVENGERS, or if that was what they were fighting to prevent. The section of the book where they had regular team-up wasn't a merged Earth, but one where they were having cross-dimensional team-ups a la the Earth-One JLA and Earth-Two JSA.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    With the exception of JLA AVENGERS, the others are on their own listed worlds.
    silver surfer/green lantern should be canon, access cameo in the green lantern comic looking for surfer and parallax hal remember chasing cyborg into another universe in the parallax final night one shot.

Batman/Punisher is referenced in one of the AzBat issues
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    Batman/Punisher is referenced in one of the AzBat issues
    Did they live in the same universe?
    Assassinate Putin!