Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Katar and Shayera Hol Appreciation thread 2024

Here we go again . . . let’s show some love for the Hols of Thanagar!
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Wait. I thought it was Katar Hol and Shayera Thal for the later ones

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Wait. I thought it was Katar Hol and Shayera Thal for the later ones
    Technically, Thal was her maiden name.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Extraordinary Member

For years, they were the only Hawks I knew. I was fascinated by them because they were aliens who lived among humans.

I miss them and wish DC would bring them back.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    For years, they were the only Hawks I knew. I was fascinated by them because they were aliens who lived among humans.

You're not the only one. But the confusion about which Hawkman there should be, has had a deleterious effect on the character.
    --jthree

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

I loved them too, but the last Hawkman run pretty definitively depicted them as being one reincarnation of many Hawkman has had. So even if the current Hawks don't call themselves Katar and Shayara, it is still them.

Yeah, but the context, and types of stories that are told, changes.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Is Hawkgirl by Simonson and Chaykin a good read? Was it well received? Found it during cleaning today.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yeah, but the context, and types of stories that are told, changes.
    Sure, I get ya. Hawkworld is one of my all-time favorites, so I definitely miss that iteration of the Hawks, even if the current versions are technically the same people.

Amazing Member

i prefer shayera hol and john stewart

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kefkaroth View Post
    i prefer shayera hol and john stewart
    Meh. That comes from the animated series -- wasn't crazy about how they treated the Thanagarians. And hated that Shayera was never in costume in JLU.

Why can't the alien sci-fi versions co-exist with the earth-based reincarnated ones?

Extraordinary Member

Why can't the alien sci-fi versions co-exist with the earth-based reincarnated ones?
    I've been asking that question for decades.

Hawkman simply isn't popular enough to carry two pairs of barely-distinguishable characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Hawkman simply isn't popular enough to carry two pairs of barely-distinguishable characters.
    I can understand that. But why the assumption that there would have to be two books? Thanagar is out there and Hol and Thal can be there doing their hard boiled space cop routine and interacting with preferably the other cosmic stage presences like the New Gods, the various peacekeeping forces and their opponents, various alien civilizations and empires but if we must do the rainbow brite thing instead then yeah that. Those things can be reflected in specials, quarterlies, one-shots, or 80 page giants or in ongoings, maxis, or minis featuring the goings on of the cosmic stage (yaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy space opera!).

Meanwhile in whatever main book or title tied to earth, the Carter Halls and Shiera Halls can be doing their displaced alien romance schtick or whatever. Maybe they don't want to return to Thanagar ever and for later stories there might be some Thanagarian legal shlop to deal with around that score for tension. Or they can be totally un-linked to what is happening in the greater cosmos. I don't care really. I just want to see the cool technologically advanced hawk civilization again and how they interact with Tamaraneans, the Kreion, the Omega Men, the New Gods, the Almeracian empire, and so on and so forth.