Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    At first, this sounds pretty cool. But, on ththe other hand, if the Amazons, Atlanteans, and humankind can beat Darkseid on their own, then having the Super Friends beat him seems a little less special.
    Depends on how it's handled. This isn't 6 or 7 people facing Darkseid it's an alliance of three races which likely saw heavy casualties on both sides.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Depends on how it's handled. This isn't 6 or 7 people facing Darkseid it's an alliance of three races which likely saw heavy casualties on both sides.
    This war could be how Atlantis gets sunk

BANNED

Which would provide a pretty solid reasons all around why it's just now coming back, the war decimates the Amazon population, Atlantis is sunk and mankind breed like rabbits. The three races beat off Darkseid, decimate his invading forces and take his 'keys' to Earth, thus preventing him from coming back.

Ultimate Member

Did they "defeat" Darkseid full-on? Or was it one of those "well held him back just long enough to seal the portal" type of "victories." Also did they beat Darkseid himself, or just his army/followers?

Context like that are VERY important when trying to judge this potential plotline.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Did they "defeat" Darkseid full-on? Or was it one of those "well held him back just long enough to seal the portal" type of "victories." Also did they beat Darkseid himself, or just his army/followers?

Context like that are VERY important when trying to judge this potential plotline.
    Maybe New Genesis came in with an assist.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

Astonishing Member

Of course it depends on how it's handled; for now, I'm really only talking about my first impression of the general idea. I think establishing an big, bad enemy threat works better when you show him/her/them succeeding rather than being defeated. The Death Star was seen as a threat because we first see it destroy a whole planet in one blast; we don't see them lose in a ten minute flash back. If my great, great, great grandpa and friends can defeat Darkseid with swords and arrows, then modern military technology would crush him. Defeat just isn't a good way of establishing Darkseid.

Of course it depends on how it's handled; for now, I'm really only talking about my first impression of the general idea. I think establishing an big, bad enemy threat works better when you show him/her/them succeeding rather than being defeated. The Death Star was seen as a threat because we first see it destroy a whole planet in one blast; we don't see them lose in a ten minute flash back. If my great, great, great grandpa and friends can defeat Darkseid with swords and arrows, then modern military technology would crush him. Defeat just isn't a good way of establishing Darkseid.
    I think there's a big difference in "able to stave off" and "defeat" though, so I think it'll be important which we're talking about in this case...I think with Affleck and Johns both on this, we'll be ok though!!!!
    It's not about 'deserve' it's about what you believe. And I believe in Love.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    I think there's a big difference in "able to stave off" and "defeat" though, so I think it'll be important which we're talking about in this case...I think with Affleck and Johns both on this, we'll be ok though!!!!
    Wasn't Johns deeply associated with the Green Lantern movie, which was critically lambasted as well as being a box office failure?

Doesn't sound like Johns has a good track record for movies. I will give you Affleck, but say no to Johns, at least until he shows us something better than Green Lantern.

Ultimate Member

From what I heard, he wasn't actually that involved. They basically went to him for advice on the mythology or something. And there were like six different writers credited on that film, so it's hard to tell who was most to blame for that particular mess.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    From what I heard, he wasn't actually that involved. They basically went to him for advice on the mythology or something. And there were like six different writers credited on that film, so it's hard to tell who was most to blame for that particular mess.
    If you do a google search on the Green Lantern movie with Geoff Johns name, you will see that he was pretty heavily involved in the film. Remarks about his involvement in the picture were less than positive.

Sometimes writers, even as popular as Johns, can't make a good transition to the silver screen. I use Frank Miller as an example on the Spirit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    If you do a google search on the Green Lantern movie with Geoff Johns name, you will see that he was pretty heavily involved in the film. Remarks about his involvement in the picture were less than positive.

Sometimes writers, even as popular as Johns, can't make a good transition to the silver screen. I use Frank Miller as an example on the Spirit.
    johns and feige were interns for Donner prodections, johns then went full on comics while feige keep on the movie bussiness. Johns lack experience and know how on movies creative proccess.
    maybe with another co-president helping, this will get right things

Quote Originally Posted by RealWonderman View Post
    Gal has finished shooting Wonder Woman and has moved on the JL; Part 1. Some interesting rumors coming out about this movie already! If this is true, I like it!!

Possible spoiler:

http://www.crossmap.com/news/justice...revealed-27985

"We see Darkseid in the beginning of the film in a flashback sequence. Around 30,000 years ago, the Amazons, the Atlanteans, and Man successfully fought off Darkseid here on Earth" The publication noted. "He left three motherboxes behind and that folks is what Steppenwolf is after in Justice League: Part One. That is pretty much your plot"

Also, the rumor about a war between the Amazons and Atlanteans seems to be more likely in this scenario
    With Johns involved I suspected these FLASHPOINT -esque details involving Amazons and Atlanteans would pop up

Possibly. But my concern still stands: if Darkseid was already beaten by the people of Earth in a 10 min flashback, building up to Darkseid coming back doesn't feel all that special.
    Darkseid may have been far less powerful 30,000 years ago and has since evolved into one of the most powerful beings in the universe. That ups the ante for the modern DCEU...and makes the fight totally different now.
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

BANNED

Quality is subjective, most people are programmed via word of mouth to like or hate things.

Astonishing Member

It's a good point. But hopefully there'll have been a lot of victory before the defeat. Think Napoleon--everybody remembers that he lost at Waterloo, but that doesn't mean we don't remember that he was a monumentally badass general and emperor before that. Likewise, I think if they show us that Darkseid was once an apocalyptic world conqueror, that's a good way of establishing him--and this need not be negated by showing that he was eventually somehow defeated (especially if he was defeated by means of some opportunistic exploit that could work only once). After all, if he did once conquer the world, he must have eventually lost it, since the world in Man of Steel and Dan of Justice doesn't appear to be dominated by Darkseid.