View Poll Results: How do you rate Meredith Finch's run of Wonder Woman?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • A. Fantastic, gripping. You couldn't wait to read it each month and reread it over and over.

1 1.52%
  • B. Ups & downs, but you looked forward to it every month

1 1.52%
  • C.Satisfactory. You enjoyed reading it, but there were some significant things you'd change.

2 3.03%
  • You're still buying for completeness or just because its WW. There was much you would change.

18 27.27%
  • Not for you. Maybe you dropped it.

38 57.58%
  • You didn't read enough of it to feel that you can judge it.

6 9.09%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Rate Finch's Wonder Woman

The rating options in this poll are almost the same as in one of Brett's polls on Azzarello's run. (He posted polls on our opinions of Azz's run "compared to other DC comics" and "in and of itself." I'm using the "in and of itself" version; it seems to me that a lot of the discussion of the run has been comparative, so I thought assessing it on its own terms might be more interesting.) I also added the last option--the "didn't read it" option, basically--because I remember that someone suggested it in a response to the Azzarello poll.

P.S. Sorry I left off the letter grade for the last three ratings. Just pretend they are there. I can't seem to find a way to edit a poll.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-19-2016 at 08:30 AM.

Fantastic Member

What I m about to say is my opinion and others might not agree with me on all things.

This is easily the worst run in post-crises history of Wonder Woman, Messner loeb's run is close second but his dialogue wasn't as cringeworthy as current creative team.

I wouldn't say david is my least favourite artist on Wonder Woman but his art was very inconsistent, Diana went from looking like 16 year old anime doll to super-skinny short woman to manly looking beast(face only). There were some good panels but overall art was very inconsistent.
    Last edited by Rig; 05-19-2016 at 08:55 AM.

Really the worst run ever, made me stop buying the title, first time ever since 1980-something. The writing was terrible, only matched by the art which made Diana look 11 years old (I dropped the title by the time Finch started drawing her as a 12 year old).

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Only bought a couple issues. I didn't find the art that bad. Still, it's the continuing adventures of the Azzarello character, set in a continuity where the Amazons are still serial killers. Would not have kept reading it unless that was changed, and it wasn't. In fact Finch's writing dug the character a deeper hole, and defiled Donna Troy as well.

Might have improved towards the end, but it remains a "Wonder Woman" title that doesn't have any version of Wonder Woman that I'm interested in reading about in it. So I will withhold judgment on it.
    Last edited by SteveGus; 05-19-2016 at 09:43 AM.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Invincible Member

I gave it a chance but I ended up dropping it. The story failed to capture me and the art was very inconsistent

I feel incredibly bad for Meredith Finch because she's (I believe) a new writer, and she seemed pretty passionate about Wonder Woman. But I just don't think she got her.

I give her run an F. It's a shame, but I couldn't even bother to read the last issue. I'm a total completionist, but I won't be buying Finch's run in TPB format as I do with the rest of WW (unless I somehow find it for dirt cheap).

There were cool ideas throughout the series, like Hecate as a prominent force of antagonism or Derinoe (who I found a pretty interesting character), but everything else... I applaud her for using classic rogues like Cheetah, Aegeus, and Doctor Poison (the whitewashing was unforgivable though), but none of them lived up to their potential anyway. The best part of Azzarello's run for me was Hera, and Finch botched that all up.

So yeah, solid F in my opinion.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I am one of those who kept buying it simply because it's Wonder Woman...undying devotion to the character no matter what. I know...stupid.
    That being said it was not a run to do the characters any favors. David's art, while normally solid was vastly all over the place. I'm not sure what happened between his run on Marvel's Avenger to here...but it was sometimes as if two different artists were drawing under his name.
    The writing...sigh. I am simply at loss. I would rate this as the worst run on a Wonder Woman title tied only with Jodi Picoult's short stint. At least Jodi's was a brief run.

BANNED

I'm sure she can be a decent writer. I just dont think she was a good fit. All writers have strengths and weaknesses, I don't know why fans purposely forget that. I liked her Donna Troy after she came to her senses. Some things I liked, some things I didn't. But there are things i would have differently.

D-

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I've only read the first arc and the Cheetah issue, but it was soooooo bad. Poor Donna.

I honestly don't see an option that reflects just how much I dislike this particular run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I honestly don't see an option that reflects just how much I dislike this particular run.
    Sorry, #30; it does seem like I should have calibrated the options to suit this particular run, as the top three options haven't been used yet (ETA--that is, they hadn't been used when I started this post). Maybe there should be a followup poll like this:

"The most recent run of Wonder Woman was ...
    A. A bad run.
    B. An extremely bad run.
    C. The worst run of Wonder Woman, ever.
    D. The worst run of any comic, ever.
    E. An abomination in the eyes of the gods.
    F. Bleeeaaaaagggghkkk-kk-kkkgh! Um...can someone get a bucket and a mop?
    G. You can't rate it because you are desperately trying to forget. The mere mention of "vegetative injustice" triggers your daymares."

(ETA--To be fair, most runs probably inspire each of the above reactions in someone. This run seems to have gotten more near-unanimity around here than most, and not in a positive way--but I thought Meredith Finch's work on the Oz book was pretty good, and I hope she won't be discouraged by negative reactions to this run.)
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-19-2016 at 01:55 PM.

No biggie.

Going into it would probably get close to "knocking the creator" as opposed to "knocking the work", and that's not cool.

Astonishing Member

I dropped it after the first arc, so that got my vote. But, in my case, I think it's worth noting that the price hike had a big influence on that decision. Without the price hike, I probably would have kept buying; and from what I've read, I'd give it a "C."

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    The mere mention of "vegetative injustice" triggers your daymares."
    I actually got a kick out of 'vegetative injustice'. Comic book superheroes ought to talk like comic book superheroes.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I actually got a kick out of 'vegetative injustice'. Comic book superheroes ought to talk like comic book superheroes.

I didn't have an issue with that phrase either but some people treated it as the "be all, end all" of Meredith's run.

As for my rating of the run, I gave it a "B". It wasn't the best run but it was very far from the worst. I didn't really care for Finch's revamps of Aegeus and Dr. Poison but I like that she sent the murderous Amazons to Hephaestus' forge, brought back Donna Troy, and returned Zeus to his normal state instead of a baby who needs saving every couple of issues.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.