View Poll Results: How do you rate Meredith Finch's run of Wonder Woman?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • A. Fantastic, gripping. You couldn't wait to read it each month and reread it over and over.

1 1.52%
  • B. Ups & downs, but you looked forward to it every month

1 1.52%
  • C.Satisfactory. You enjoyed reading it, but there were some significant things you'd change.

2 3.03%
  • You're still buying for completeness or just because its WW. There was much you would change.

18 27.27%
  • Not for you. Maybe you dropped it.

38 57.58%
  • You didn't read enough of it to feel that you can judge it.

6 9.09%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    I actually got a kick out of 'vegetative injustice'. Comic book superheroes ought to talk like comic book superheroes.
    comic book superheroes from 1950s

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I didn't have an issue with that phrase either but some people treated it as the "be all, end all" of Meredith's run.
    Did they really? I just brought it up jokingly; I thought it was a clunker of a line (banter can be great, but badly written banter is not great), but it had no significant bearing on my opinion of the run as a whole.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-19-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Did they really? I just brought it up jokingly; I thought it was a clunker of a line (banter can be great, but badly written banter is not great), but it had no significant bearing on my opinion of the run as a whole.

I noticed some people already calling for her head after reading that phrase. Some of them still bring it up just to make fun of her and bash her writing skills.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

the line was horrible, if only the context was a funny one

I noticed some people already calling for her head after reading that phrase. Some of them still bring it up just to make fun of her and bash her writing skills.
    While I wouldn't bash the person, it is a spectacularly bad bit of writing. The sort of writing that I have no problem with someone poking fun at.

BANNED

So bad on so many levels that I dropped it after the initial Donna story and preview after preview just told me things had not gotten better.

Things that were bad:
    -General mauling of a solid foundation. Love it or hate it, people seem to agree that the previous run atleast left alot of things that could be worked on moving forwards. The general feeling I have is that Meredith either returned everything to where they were at the beginning of the New 52... Dead gods got back up voiding the impact from before, Zola in a rocking chair looking alot like she should be moving home to Oliveburn, Zeus back on the throne and not sounding he's changed all that much, all but one of the Manazons are dead and gone as if they never existed and Hera is back to where she started as if no progress was ever made with her. Meredith inherited a foundation, but instead of trying to build a house on it, she tried to make more of it and smashed most of what was already there.
    -New/returning Characters. Not one of them are ones I really care to see again in this setting. Donna arrive and immediately took the title of most badly mauled character thats gone through Flashpoint turning the widely liked 'den mother' of the Titans into hatefilled killer before inventing some super weird niche for her to inhabit thats unlikely to ever play a part in anything hence forth, leaving it once again to turn Donna into a hero we can actually like. Eirene... gets emotionally upset because Diana refused to act like a howling babarian because she happens to be War... apparently Ares 15 year bindge didn't bother her. Cry Baby, says it all that Meredith didn't care enough to pick an actual villain and instead let David do it. Dr. Poison... whitewashing, 'nuff said. Hecate... kinda pathetic really.
    -Existing character development: Badly done in most cases, Zeke appeared to be fully concious of everything that was going on rather than only occasionally waking up if threatened. Hippolyta, melted for no good reason and the remains were then boiled... Hephaestus just sounded like he'd turn into an oafish bully from the rather fatherly figure he used to be. And so on...
    -Diana: Went from slightly naive and trusting to downright stupid, added the sudden increased aggression and the inability to actually solve any of the conflicts she gets into or stop any of the villains from getting away... or keeping them alive in some cases. And the only case I know of where Finch tried to show Diana as compassionate ends up making her look weak and stupid when the Cry Baby just repeatedly kicks her in the face.

Mighty Member

i read very little mind you, maybe the first six issues or so, but honestly i thought it was really fun and engaging. i mean it wasnt a good ww comic and there were plenty of issues and i dont think i even liked diana but what little i read i kept wanting to know what happens next. i found myself more interested in the story as a spectacle than in it for my favorite character though. Diana was kinda stupid and i understand she never ran a country but she made some egregious mistakes but i did think Finch was able to get me into whatever she was selling which i wasnt expecting given what people were saying about her. Maybe I would have grown to like her Diana if i stuck with it more but i was scared i was spending too much on comics so i kinda just stopped

The writing wasn't bad which what I was most expecting given her lack of experience but characterization was way off
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 05-20-2016 at 01:31 AM.

Astonishing Member

Speaking for myself, I brought it up as one example to make fun of how this particular book was written. That's different from making fun of her. This was her first sustained run on any book that I know of, and her first work on a high-profile project like this; I wouldn't judge her whole skill set or potential as a writer just based on this. If she writes something else that looks interesting to me, I'll give it a try. I hope she does well.

I like that she sent the murderous Amazons to Hephaestus' forge
    But, as others have pointed out on the final issue thread, this was described as punishment not for the raids but for a crime that Finch had these Amazons commit. So wasn't it a wash, at best?
    Last edited by Silvanus; 05-20-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    This was her first sustained run on any book that I know of, and her first work on a high-profile project like this; I wouldn't judge her whole skill set or potential as a writer just based on this. If she writes something else that looks interesting to me, I'll give it a try. I hope she does well.
    I think that was the whole problem here. She is basically an inexperienced writer given one of the most important assignments at DC Comics. She was part of the package deal with her superstar artist husband. While I've been harsh towards her on occasion, I think she does have potential. She needs a good co-writer with whom she can work to polish her own abilities. Let her writing skills improve before letting her off on her own. Even George Perez worked with a scripter on the early issues of his run; this may benefit Meredith as well. I also wonder if her run had the flaws it did due to editorial interference. Maybe she wasn't given the chance to pursue her own ideas which made her efforts seem more mediocre.

I just kept buying so that I would possess the full run. It felt very action movie compared to the previous run but not good action movie. Like a Michael Bay sequel, no real plot, subpar dialog, and just action scenes. I was oft asking myself "Really?" instead of "Wonder what's next". It fell very flat for me.
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja

I really wanted to like it.

But I found the stories to be too juvenile for me and too adult for my nieces and nephews.

So I dropped it.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Fantastic Member

I agree that "not for me" does not really represent how I feel. I dropped the book for the first time in 35 years and have no interest in catching up. Dreadful. The worst run ever.
    Last edited by SeanT; 05-22-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rig View Post
    What I m about to say is my opinion and others might not agree with me on all things.

This is easily the worst run in post-crises history of Wonder Woman, Messner loeb's run is close second but his dialogue wasn't as cringeworthy as current creative team.

I wouldn't say david is my least favourite artist on Wonder Woman but his art was very inconsistent, Diana went from looking like 16 year old anime doll to super-skinny short woman to manly looking beast(face only). There were some good panels but overall art was very inconsistent.
    Woah! Messner Loeb's run is great easily one of my favourite post-Crisis stories (He's probably tied with Byrne or maybe slightly above).

It's to bad the Finch's tried to run on the gasoline Azzarello put in the car, they should have done their own thing. Instead, everything is now just a return to status quo.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Woah! Messner Loeb's run is great easily one of my favourite post-Crisis stories (He's probably tied with Byrne or maybe slightly above).

It's to bad the Finch's tried to run on the gasoline Azzarello put in the car, they should have done their own thing. Instead, everything is now just a return to status quo.
    They did. That seems to be what people disliked about the run. Also, what status quo?

Extraordinary Member

Last edited by brettc1; 05-22-2016 at 03:19 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor