Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    They are happy with the first two, there are large rumblings from a lot of people that the focus on Mystique is ridiculous.
    Are you sure that isnt simply that the internet is amplifying a few voices ?; because well, given the amount of people that defends Batman vs Superman, one would would think that the movie would have a better box office and critical reception.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Are you sure that isnt simply that the internet is amplifying a few voices ?; because well, given the amount of people that defends Batman vs Superman, one would would think that the movie would have a better box office and critical reception.
    Possibly, but let me put it this way, I think the number of people going to see these movies that are irritated by excessive focus on Jenifer Lawrence Mystique far outweighs the number of people who but for her presence would not go see the films.

This is absolute madness, Mystique is not freaking cap/stark/hulk in the xmen universe. You could make an argument that downey elevated iron man to a higher place, but that is still in part because of the nature of the iron man character being a natural draw. Mystique? I don't EVER think that character could be a solo draw, or a major draw for an xmen franchise. I am actively SICK of seeing her, not xavier, not magneto, mystique. The notion that more interesting and engaging characters are cast aside to focus on that rotting husk of a character because of who plays her is an abomination.

the xmen brand is the biggest draw by FAR, and part of the reason first class was less successful was the bad taste wolverine origins and last stand left in peoples mouths.
    Well, you hate that Mystique is a X-men and good person; but that doesnt seems the opinion of the general public. Besides that Days of the Future Past is regarded as one of the best, and it focused a lot on Mystique.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, you hate that Mystique is a X-men and good person; but that doesnt seems the opinion of the general public. Besides that Days of the Future Past is regarded as one of the best, and it focused a lot on Mystique.

I do hate mystique, but she is NOT an xmen. I don't know what the general public as a whole thinks about her, but people keep confusing correlation with causation.

Oh, DOFP did well and was well received, that must be because of Mystique!

... No. That does not follow. If you polled a thousand people about what they liked about dofp, if Mystique was in the top 5 I'd be incredibly surprised, even the top 10 reason would be more than I expected.

Further, if you asked some of those either or questions about who you would rather see more of compared to Mystique, do you really think she'd be the top draw?

More quicksilver or more mystique?
    More beast or more mystique?
    more magneto or more mystique?
    More storm/cyclops/iceman/x-xmen or more mystique?

Who the hell wants to see more mystique? What kind of namby pamby dandelion of a human being goes to a freaking XMEN movie for the sole purpose of seeing something Jennifer Lawrence is in? And could I fit them in a single apartment?

This attitude is what KILLS films and franchises, an incorrect presumption about what draws people out.

I don't give a damn whether spiderman is played by Tom Holland or Asa Butterfield, I care that they are decent enough that the MAIN draw, the actual character I want to see on screen comes through.

Jennifer Lawrence is getting a massive taste of the Tom Cruise / Will Smith effect. Where it's less about the characters they are playing, and more that this is Tom Cruise/JLaw/Smith in the movie, who happens to be playing a role, but the draw is the star not the role....

That is NOT the standard drawing mechanism in xmen, or avengers. And this push by people here to suggest that it is, or worse, that it should be is pretty vile.

Fantastic Member

No spoilers but her presence in the film suck the energy out of the crowd immediately, she was 100% Katniss in it and it bothers me a whole lot.
    Dreaded, run from it, Bendis still arrives to ruin your canon.

Fantastic Member

This is absolute madness, Mystique is not freaking cap/stark/hulk in the xmen universe. You could make an argument that downey elevated iron man to a higher place, but that is still in part because of the nature of the iron man character being a natural draw. Mystique? I don't EVER think that character could be a solo draw, or a major draw for an xmen franchise. I am actively SICK of seeing her, not xavier, not magneto, mystique. The notion that more interesting and engaging characters are cast aside to focus on that rotting husk of a character because of who plays her is an abomination.

the xmen brand is the biggest draw by FAR, and part of the reason first class was less successful was the bad taste wolverine origins and last stand left in peoples mouths.

Well said, if anything Michael Fassbender and James Mcavoy (not being sexist!) have more drawing power simply because their performance of the characters are 1. superior, and on top of that Magneto and Chuck are better written in the film as well.
    Dreaded, run from it, Bendis still arrives to ruin your canon.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottsummer View Post
    No spoilers but her presence in the film suck the energy out of the crowd immediately, she was 100% Katniss in it and it bothers me a whole lot.

I'll see it this coming Thursday night, but that seems completely plausible to me, it's a sign of the director/writers feeling impelled to give screen time to an unworthy character to sate hollywood egos and dogma about the actors draw being the prime mover.

And just for the record, lest it come across differently, I don't think actors are irrelevant. I think the guy that plays Loki i phenomenal, like literally perfect for that role and every scene he is in is made more engaging by his presence. That is a case where the actor enhances the character by actually being good. But the draw is still the character, preferably a well done version of the character, but that actor gets a LOT of other work, and I don't follow his imdb history and seek out everything he is in because he is in it. There is plenty of stuff he has done that generates zero interest from me, not because of his star power or acting ability, because I'm not into every genre or movie type.

I think the vast bulk of the superhero/xmen audience has this general attitude when it comes to the movies / characters. And if not, then we are doomed.

BANNED

Possibly, but let me put it this way, I think the number of people going to see these movies that are irritated by excessive focus on Jenifer Lawrence Mystique far outweighs the number of people who but for her presence would not go see the films.
    And both of those groups are vastly outnumbered by the percentage of the audience for whom Lawrence--on an individual level--isn't a deciding factor one way or the other and who just like the movies in general.

I do hate mystique, but she is NOT an xmen. I don't know what the general public as a whole thinks about her, but people keep confusing correlation with causation.

Oh, DOFP did well and was well received, that must be because of Mystique!

... No. That does not follow. If you polled a thousand people about what they liked about dofp, if Mystique was in the top 5 I'd be incredibly surprised, even the top 10 reason would be more than I expected.

Further, if you asked some of those either or questions about who you would rather see more of compared to Mystique, do you really think she'd be the top draw?

Who the hell wants to see more mystique? What kind of namby pamby dandelion of a human being goes to a freaking XMEN movie for the sole purpose of seeing something Jennifer Lawrence is in? And could I fit them in a single apartment?

This attitude is what KILLS films and franchises, an incorrect presumption about what draws people out.

I don't give a damn whether spiderman is played by Tom Holland or Asa Butterfield, I care that they are decent enough that the MAIN draw, the actual character I want to see on screen comes through.

Jennifer Lawrence is getting a massive taste of the Tom Cruise / Will Smith effect. Where it's less about the characters they are playing, and more that this is Tom Cruise/JLaw/Smith in the movie, who happens to be playing a role, but the draw is the star not the role....

That is NOT the standard drawing mechanism in xmen, or avengers. And this push by people here to suggest that it is, or worse, that it should be is pretty vile.
    Well, i dont know how many people she is drawing to cinemas; but im pretty that is a lot more that the amount of people that she drives away.

I'll see it this coming Thursday night, but that seems completely plausible to me, it's a sign of the director/writers feeling impelled to give screen time to an unworthy character to sate hollywood egos and dogma about the actors draw being the prime mover.

And just for the record, lest it come across differently, I don't think actors are irrelevant. I think the guy that plays Loki i phenomenal, like literally perfect for that role and every scene he is in is made more engaging by his presence. That is a case where the actor enhances the character by actually being good. But the draw is still the character, preferably a well done version of the character, but that actor gets a LOT of other work, and I don't follow his imdb history and seek out everything he is in because he is in it. There is plenty of stuff he has done that generates zero interest from me, not because of his star power or acting ability, because I'm not into every genre or movie type.

I think the vast bulk of the superhero/xmen audience has this general attitude when it comes to the movies / characters. And if not, then we are doomed.
    Because Mystique is part of the X-men and is a good person ?.
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 05-21-2016 at 09:59 AM.

BANNED

I do hate mystique, but she is NOT an xmen.
    She has been one.

I suspect that ifou did poll those 1000 people you'd be surprised. Mystique is the emotional core of the story, and as such people tend to like her. And they absolutely do not care one whit if she's an X-Men in the comics or not. Nor do they care whether X-Men comics exist or not.

Anything with less Quicksilver is fiçne by me.

The entitlement is strong in this one.

It's still going strong after 16 years...

Spectacular Member

They are still makingcritically lukewarm x-men films after a soft reboot

Going strong seems like a stretch though

Quote Originally Posted by Coolatta View Post

Well, if people insist that DC/Warner has a solid universe despite Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman....................................

BANNED

First Class and Days of Future Past both got strong reviews. Age of Apocalypse hasn't opened in the U.S. yet, which means many of the major domestic mainstream media outlets haven't published reviews yet.

Spectacular Member

Strong meh is still strong (still meh too, but oh well). I can't even say that my two favorites out of this series (X2, DoFP) are really great. They can keep the meh going until there's an actual flop.

Speaking of meh... there have been two movies with JLaw (leaving out the new one), three without. There's not a big difference in quality here. The idea that the movies are watered down because her star power is distorting the writing or whatever is overboard. Or the idea that if they swapped in, say, Storm instead of Mystique, things would be better, when storm has been one of the worst characters in the franchise.

I can see an argument that you don't need this third character in a Magneto-Xavier story. I can also see a better movie where Mystique is more of a focus, not less. In fact I'd say that as good as Fassbender is, Magneto has veered too much into the morally ambivalent role, because it seems like Mystique should really have more of that territory to herself.

Provides half assed performances in the last 2 films and plays a largely dull character....yeah how about we try one without J Law....