Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default So, Spider-man will be leading the X-men....

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/...olverine-dies/

Just curious as to what people's thought are on this. Spider-man being the X-school's new headmaster has potential to be quite interesting but at the same time, it could go horribly wrong really easy. Shame that most of

If they treat it like he's in over his head and doesn't quite know how to handle things, I think it could be really fun.

One big plus is that it reunited him with his old Amazing Friends. Iceman and Firestar are both part of the school faculty. I'm also kinda curious to see if he's going to adopt some kind of X-men team uniform.

BANNED

Oh boy this should be interesting. Well the backlash from Slott anyway given how he hates seeing Spider-Man teach students since it makes him seem old.
    Course it could be a lie given Bleedingcool's misinformation at times.

Does not seem true but what a cool idea. Could introduce Spidey to some X-men fans and vice versa.

Fantastic Member

I think some of Bleedingcool’s “sources” have been having fun with Rich lately. Ever since the F4 cancellation “news”, they’ve had a lot of stories that seem untrue. Just the other day they claimed an insider told them that the X-Men line was being eliminated; X-Men are Marvel’s biggest franchise, it will NEVER happen. Then there are the persistent reboot rumors that have been floating around since the creation of the Ultimate Universe (possibly longer).

If this is even remotely true I expect they’ll just adopt the same format DC has had since they dropped Robin from “Batman and Robin”. The series will become “[Insert Guest Star] and the X-Men” and Spidey will only be around for one arc before passing the baton to Rocket Raccoon or whoever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
    I think some of Bleedingcool’s “sources” have been having fun with Rich lately. Ever since the F4 cancellation “news”, they’ve had a lot of stories that seem untrue. Just the other day they claimed an insider told them that the X-Men line was being eliminated; X-Men are Marvel’s biggest franchise, it will NEVER happen. Then there are the persistent reboot rumors that have been floating around since the creation of the Ultimate Universe (possibly longer).

If this is even remotely true I expect they’ll just adopt the same format DC has had since they dropped Robin from “Batman and Robin”. The series will become “[Insert Guest Star] and the X-Men” and Spidey will only be around for one arc before passing the baton to Rocket Raccoon or whoever.
    However, while he doesn't all the facts right, his reporting does tend to have some grain of truth.

For example, while the Fantastic Four wasn't cancelled, he was correct that Fantastic Foundation was being cancelled in September.

I think the big problem with him is that he tends to extrapolate upon theories to fit his own narrative.

Wouldn't this just be for a few issues? I don't see the harm in it if it's true.

Rich did state that sources he contacted denied the X-line would be cancelled. He made the article due to the thread discussion that happened Monday in the X-Forums about it.

Either way, it seems a way to get more sales for the title as it's not doing well currently while ASM is.

I expected Havok or Storm to take over as headmaster with Logan gone, but hey Peter in charge could lead to some funny adventures.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It might just be a new format for the series where they have Marvel heroes guest star at the school. So the first arc would be Spider-Man, then the next might have Luke Cage and so on. It would just be a way to bring new readers onto the book anyways.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

If this is one story arc then bring it on.

I'm not an X-Men fan, however, so wouldn't be buying it for more than six months. That's about long enough for three cross-overs, two new alternate futures and a return/death of Jean Grey, right? I'll be confused as hell within four issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    It might just be a new format for the series where they have Marvel heroes guest star at the school. So the first arc would be Spider-Man, then the next might have Luke Cage and so on. It would just be a way to bring new readers onto the book anyways.
    That is the explanation in the Bleeding Cool piece (about a story that might never be published).
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Would be an awesome idea if true, and it'd be a good way to reestablish Spider-Man's ties to the X-Men and nod to his being the unofficial "cool big brother" figure for a lot of younger superhumans in the Marvel Universe. I'd definitely pay good money to see him and Quentin Quire interact, not because I'm a fan of Quire, but because Quire embodies what can go wrong with a young superhuman that has great power and an overblown sense of his own importance or validity combined with a deficit in empathy for others fueling how that power gets used, a lot like how Spider-Man himself could have turned out if not for Uncle Ben's death. And yes, I acknowledge that the more recent X-Men comics with Quire in them after the Hellfire Academy arc show him starting to change for the better, but it'd still be interesting to see him and Spidey interact.

On a broader note, I frankly believe that Spider-Man has more in common with the X-Men thematically than with the Avengers, given that the persistent status quo for both of them is that no matter how much good they do, they're always going to be viewed with suspicion, fear, and outright hatred by a significant portion of the same people they save. Correlating with this is that any bad act done in their name(s) by an impersonator or a body snatcher or an evil doppelganger gets treated by the general public, media, and/or law enforcement/government as a perfectly valid reason to maintain that suspicion, fear, and/or hatred. However, I do acknowledge that while Spider-Man has been largely vindicated as a hero over time barring a few diehards here and there, the X-Men seem to be as feared and hated as ever, and that's something that could be addressed in a future team-up story.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

No he didn't. In fact he said none of his sources backed that up. It was some random poster who made that claim.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member

I don't see where's the problem. I mean, Spiderman and the X-Men share a lots of things; they are heroes who always try to do their right thing, and yet they are feared and hated by the people they try to help. The X-Men have Senator Kelly, Spiderman has J Johan Jameson. I think Spidey can perfectly work as a teacher for a new generation of mutants after all.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    I don't see where's the problem. I mean, Spiderman and the X-Men share a lots of things; they are heroes who always try to do their right thing, and yet they are feared and hated by the people they try to help. The X-Men have Senator Kelly, Spiderman has J Johan Jameson. I think Spidey can perfectly work as a teacher for a new generation of mutants after all.
    The issue is that Spider-man tends to work best as a loner, or with one off-kilter partner. Being a teacher, Avenger or X-Man doesn't really play to his strengths.

He is headstrong, undisciplined and kind of flakey. To this day, a huge number of Peter Parker plots hinge on him being late/absent/in the right or wrong place because he is Spider-man. Being a teacher doesn't work very well with his established character as he'd have to be much more responsible and stable.