Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

If Psylocke is co-leader of the team, then it would be a fun moment when they work together with the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    The reason he was always a freelance photograher (which I don't want him to return to) was that he couldn't keep a 9-5. He needs the flexibility to leave whenever he has to be Spider-man, and this is whenever he senses or learns of danger.

Undisciplined does not mean irresponsible. His entire tactic to life both in and out of costume is to take things as they come. He goes into things with no plan and hopes things work out. He rarely makes a concerted effort to direct himself fully to anything and when he does, it is almost always derailed by something grabbing his attention as Spider-man.

As for flakey, this is even a joke Peter’s friends make about him. Think of all the issues, spanning his entire career when he has missed birthdays, appointments, forgotten things he has promised to get, cancelled on friends at the last minute, all because of Spider-man’s activities. Seriously, during one of the most important battle of his life, the battle to keep his marriage to MJ, he missed her plane leaving, Doctor Doom showed up when he was meeting her half-way, and when he went to Hollywood he fought Doc Ock and another costumed enemy. This shows duty to being Spider-man, but not to his wife.

The responsibility he feels is entirely that of his powers, of needing to use them to help in any way he can. His life, and by extension the people in it, are secondary to this. This includes any students he would be in charge of, provided he would not be leaving them in any danger. I’m not saying he doesn’t care, he’s one of comics most caring characters, but his duties as Spider-man will always come forst.

As a man who is so responsible, and had serious issues in high-school, Peter should understand the need for decent, dependable, dedicated teachers who are able to give students 100% of their attention and focus.

My opinion, having lost so many people close to him in the past, it was bad characterisation to have him work in a school and knowingly endanger so many young innocent people especially as, pre-OMD, so many enemies knew Peter was Spider-man.

When he was a teacher, just off the top of my head, Ms. Arrow was a monster posing as a teacher to get at him, when his identity was exposed Doc Ock nearly killed one of his students. I’ll bet there’s more in the few years he was a teacher before. He almost got the Avengers Academy kids harmed and he only had them for two issues.

As to a teacher for the X-Men, he has no real links there. I know a lot of people like him and Kitty in Ultimate, but in 616 they have no real connection. Not that it wouldn’t be interesting to explore.

I am all for character evolution, but it needs to fit the character. Suddenly having him decide to be a science teacher or, in this case, teacher of the X-Men really doesn’t fit the character of Spider-man. Not just his original appearances, as I was accused of, but across his entire run in comics.

He’s never been a leader or a team player. Yes, he was in the Avengers but he was basically making up the numbers and throwing in the occasional quip. Frankly, he was higher profile on the covers than he usually was in the issue itself. On Future Foundation he had a role as the comedy relief and as a young scientist Reed respected.

I want Spider-man to evolve and change, but it has to feel organic.
    This is a very well reasoned and articulate post. Even though I think this idea sounds like a cool one, your logic is pretty persuasive. It might have been neat to see Peter consciously decide to quit teaching public school after such a flare up for the reasons you mention. (My memory on the post-Civil War period is a little hazy, so it’s possible he did and I don’t recall.)

Having said that, I think the X-Men situation is a little different, since these are all students who will face plenty of danger on their own, with or without Peter being there to endanger them.

On the other hand, the telepath angle does complicate things, since I think Peter’s secret ID should be kept just that. For those of you more familiar with the X-Men—is there a way to block mutant telepaths from reading your thoughts? I know Ock managed to survive Superior without ever being exposed by a telepath.

I could see this idea working well on a temporary basis in the fallout of Wolverine’s death, especially if it was a favor Wolverine asked of him. I could see Peter acquiesce—perhaps reluctantly—and have one or two adventures with the X-Men during which both groups learn something valuable from the other. I do agree that it wouldn’t be my preferred status quo for the long term, though I don’t think that’s what the article indicates they’re doing here.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    Great points except the Avengers part but thats for another matter. Yes its true Spider-man shares the X-men's fear and hate with the public relations but thats just on similarities of story not personal connection with some of the members. Spider-man since his debut and onwards never really developed a much with the members save Wolverine its merely a Team Up story for Spider-man to have with the team nothing else. As to the psychics I still stand by that given how the resident psychic Kid Omega is a tool who gets his laugh unleashing a berserk Wolverine on the school as a joke and you want Spider-Man working in that school with that kid who would most likely auction Spider-man's identity on a Villains ebay site. No thanks.
    Hell, yes, I do. It'd be an excellent opportunity for character development on Quire's end. I mean, a big issue with the X-Men in recent years is how much of the moral high ground they've been willing to sacrifice in the name of survival or expediency. If Quire doesn't respect them that much, it's because he's seen for himself that a lot of them are or have become major hypocrites willing to ignore the principles they wish to instill in their students if said principles get in the way of accomplishing a goal, however that goal is justified or rationalized. Being exposed to someone like Spider-Man, who by and large sticks by his principles and is willing to suffer for that and not just dump everything he believes in for the sake of expediency (barring certain stories that do not deserve even the honor of being addressed by name), would be a huge shock to Quire's system, and it could inspire him to change for the better.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Well, if this is true, then it would be pretty interesting. Pete would be the only one at the Jean Grey school to be a state certified teacher.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    The reason he was always a freelance photograher (which I don't want him to return to) was that he couldn't keep a 9-5. He needs the flexibility to leave whenever he has to be Spider-man, and this is whenever he senses or learns of danger.

Undisciplined does not mean irresponsible. His entire tactic to life both in and out of costume is to take things as they come. He goes into things with no plan and hopes things work out. He rarely makes a concerted effort to direct himself fully to anything and when he does, it is almost always derailed by something grabbing his attention as Spider-man.
    Spidey has been growing up and slowly becoming a different hero through the years. I don't agree that he should remain moderately mundane in being a loser as a superhero who's life abuses him to endless tragedy and mockery. He like it or not knows his stuff in handling the crime in his city and the professional in taking down street crime with his years of experience. So peter has no more lessons to learn as far as screwing up beating villains and crime nor should he constantly get his foot in the sand costing him his well being or mental/emotional health. This is cool for younger versions though.

As for flakey, this is even a joke Peter’s friends make about him. Think of all the issues, spanning his entire career when he has missed birthdays, appointments, forgotten things he has promised to get, cancelled on friends at the last minute, all because of Spider-man’s activities.
    You make it sound like spidey is nothing but an un loyal and disappointing friend/lover/teammate. What about all the times peter has made ends meet and fulfilled his obligations to his loved ones. The people cloest to Peter know hes genuine and loving human being and have the fortitude and patience to forgive him since he's a full time superhero on the side, plus his friends and family have moved on from his life and don't hinder him much. His only obligations left now is being a hero who had made plenty of friends there.
    Seriously, during one of the most important battle of his life, the battle to keep his marriage to MJ, he missed her plane leaving, Doctor Doom showed up when he was meeting her half-way, and when he went to Hollywood he fought Doc Ock and another costumed enemy. This shows duty to being Spider-man, but not to his wife.
    Dr Doom is every heroes duty and pretty sure the ultimate villain to thwart. Spidey stopping him despite him being way out of his league makes him more of a inspiration than a foolish selfish husband. Ni hero came to assist him fighting doom before hand and probably came after spidey was on the ropes. Mary Jane should understand that he had a threat to stop from killing thousands of people or he'd never live with himself. If not she doesn't deserve him.

The responsibility he feels is entirely that of his powers, of needing to use them to help in any way he can. His life, and by extension the people in it, are secondary to this. This includes any students he would be in charge of, provided he would not be leaving them in any danger. I’m not saying he doesn’t care, he’s one of comics most caring characters, but his duties as Spider-man will always come forst.
    Spider-man is the ultimate adapting problem solver. Not Reed Richards level but in terms of think outside the box for multiple situations for stopping either bad guys or helping out people that depend on him. I think you're selling peter short, depending on the writer peter has always creatively adapted to new obstacles and trials, he uses his charisma and wit to handle his composure and confidence gaining new skills and experience. He's is also likeable to most of the superhero world and is a emotional crutch to hardened emotional characters. He's the heart of the marvel universe. So yeah.

s a man who is so responsible, and had serious issues in high-school, Peter should understand the need for decent, dependable, dedicated teachers who are able to give students 100% of their attention and focus.
    Peter is all about heart. IMO he needs to follow what's natural in his heart and then apply it to responsibility so that his journey can advance instead of regress and never build up. Him being a teacher would motivate his purpose of being the uncle Ben to other peter parkers and affirm his Great Responsibility as stead fast instead of flawed and depressing. Plus peter is still a kid at heart and x kids would follow his example as one of them.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    This is a very well reasoned and articulate post. Even though I think this idea sounds like a cool one, your logic is pretty persuasive. It might have been neat to see Peter consciously decide to quit teaching public school after such a flare up for the reasons you mention. (My memory on the post-Civil War period is a little hazy, so it’s possible he did and I don’t recall.)

Having said that, I think the X-Men situation is a little different, since these are all students who will face plenty of danger on their own, with or without Peter being there to endanger them.

On the other hand, the telepath angle does complicate things, since I think Peter’s secret ID should be kept just that. For those of you more familiar with the X-Men—is there a way to block mutant telepaths from reading your thoughts? I know Ock managed to survive Superior without ever being exposed by a telepath.

I could see this idea working well on a temporary basis in the fallout of Wolverine’s death, especially if it was a favor Wolverine asked of him. I could see Peter acquiesce—perhaps reluctantly—and have one or two adventures with the X-Men during which both groups learn something valuable from the other. I do agree that it wouldn’t be my preferred status quo for the long term, though I don’t think that’s what the article indicates they’re doing here.
    Thanks, my first post was just a throwaway, "yeah, I'll read it for a bit but not sure how real it feels to me" (don't get as much time at the keyboard as I'd like). I just wanted to clarify, and make it clear my problem wouldn't be using the X-Men characters but a long-term teaching post really.

I really like Spidey interacting with the rest of the MU (but only ocassionally in his own title), even if he usually basically just irritates them while getting the job done, mainly because the MU doesn't really have anyone else quite like him.

Completely agree that the situation is different with the X-Men as they would be faacing the danger regardless, so it plays nicely into his sense of duty to steer the kids away from danager and even give them advice in growing up different. It also feeds in very nicely with his 'no-one dies' stance (best addition to Spidey in years IMO, he's totally that guy), and knowing that the safety net of Wolverine was gone he probably would at least try to help.

Not sure about the telepath thing, Beast could probably whip something up. It'd be really funny if he tried wearing a tin-foil hat over the top of his mask.

I'll definitely give it an arc, maybe two depending on quality (and money).

Mighty Member

As stated before, this is only for an arc. The name preceding "and the X-Men" will rotate. That's the gag.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hell, yes, I do. It'd be an excellent opportunity for character development on Quire's end. I mean, a big issue with the X-Men in recent years is how much of the moral high ground they've been willing to sacrifice in the name of survival or expediency. If Quire doesn't respect them that much, it's because he's seen for himself that a lot of them are or have become major hypocrites willing to ignore the principles they wish to instill in their students if said principles get in the way of accomplishing a goal, however that goal is justified or rationalized. Being exposed to someone like Spider-Man, who by and large sticks by his principles and is willing to suffer for that and not just dump everything he believes in for the sake of expediency (barring certain stories that do not deserve even the honor of being addressed by name), would be a huge shock to Quire's system, and it could inspire him to change for the better.
    Do you think Peter would be able to change Quire before the kid does any permanent damage to him though?

BANNED

This is just a horrible idea.

Plus, if Storm is still at the JGS, why the heck would she hand over the school to a non mutant?

That just makes absolutely no sense!

Is Bendis writing this?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post

Plus, if Storm is still at the JGS, why the heck would she hand over the school to a non mutant?

Is Bendis writing this?
    Spidey is captain america lite
    Meaning he's a trust worthy and Noble person who they can depend on. It's one of those types of deals. Plus spidey is mutated so he can be qualified.

While I've always wished Spidey would form some tighter connections with the X-Men I'm wondering when he will have the time for this. Isn't he currently running his own company now?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Do you think Peter would be able to change Quire before the kid does any permanent damage to him though?
    Peter's mind is more formidable than some people, in-universe and in real life, give him credit for. And hell, telepaths that've delved too deep into his psyche have been rather shocked and taken aback at the kind of tragedy and misery he's had to go through and how the hell he hasn't broken under the weight of it all by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    Spidey is captain america lite
    Meaning he's a trust worthy and Noble person who they can depend on. It's one of those types of deals. Plus spidey is mutated so he can be qualified.
    I'd phrase it more as Spider-Man being what Captain America could've been like if he'd been born and raised in the modern era instead of the Great Depression. They were both skinny, underweight, and physically weak before the events that gave them their powers, though it was ultimately their moral integrity that made them the heroes they are today. Another parallel between them is that they've both had crises of faith where they've lost confidence in what they're fighting for and tried to give up their heroic mantles, but again, their sense of moral integrity has ultimately led them back into being heroes, even when they couldn't use their proper costumed identities. The main difference is that Captain America is held up on a pedestal, both in-universe and out, that a more visibly flawed and conflicted figure like Spider-Man doesn't quite reach, at least in terms of in-universe public opinion.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I might check it out if I see it.

BANNED

Is Bendis writing this?
    Please the X-men stopped making the school mutant exclusive. You have Doop, Deathlok and students from the Shiar.

Is Bendis writing this?
    What is there some special math that only mutants understand? That kind of thinking is why no one in the MU respect the X-Men.