Default Micronauts #2 - Thoughts, Anyone?

I'm approaching this with an open mind and trying not to remain stuck in the Mantlo/Golden era, but...

I'm very put off by the slow world building and the just about complete absence of Karza. Plus, Oz as a lead protagonist is just not working for me.

Thoughts? Thumbs up, thumbs down?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine322 View Post
    I'm approaching this with an open mind and trying not to remain stuck in the Mantlo/Golden era, but...

I'm very put off by the slow world building and the just about complete absence of Karza. Plus, Oz as a lead protagonist is just not working for me.

Thoughts? Thumbs up, thumbs down?
    I am quite enjoying it so far and much prefer a slow pace to world building than some massive exposition dump. If you look at the Mantlo/Golden run, the world building wa sa slow burn there too, learning bits of it each issue as it was relevant to what was happening, which is exactly what Bunn is doing as well. We get used to having it all because we read the whole series, but if you look strictly at 2 issues into the Mantlo/Golden run , you only got a small bit of the world building.

Karza is being left to marinate a bit in the background, building tension rather than front loading everything. If the series is going to have a long run, you need to pace things and parcel out revelations rather than just dump it all out there and have no where to go after your first arc.

As for Oz, he's different, but I don't see him as the lead but part of an ensemble cast who is the early focus, much the way Commander Rann was in Mantlo early issues, an entry point into the larger cast that gathers them around him. Rann wasn't may favorite of the cast in Golden's book, but as apart of the larger ensemble, he worked. I think Oz is working towards that, and there is still a lot to learn about him that is only just getting hinted at.

If anything, so far for me, it is too structurally similar to the Mantlo/Golden run, just with the details altered, but I am enjoying it so am going to continue along for the ride.

-M

I'm enjoying it as well. Karza doesn't need to be in every issue (just like the Mantlo run--there''d be long stretches with him gone). I also like some of the characters such as Acroyear and Microtron a lot.

I'm enjoying it. Glad to see that "Force Commander" -- or Baron Kaigan (or whatever) -- will have a more prominent role in this series. I always thought he was a cool figure, and hated the way he got treated in the original series (a couple of brief appearance and his ass kicked pretty bad).

But Oz is beginning to grow on me a bit. I like the fact that they're resorting to later figures like Pharoid and Orbital Defender in this book. If there's one thing I wish they'd rectify is how the Acroyear 2's are so easy to destroy. If they're the upgrade for the Acroyears, they seem pretty sucky. At least have one of them be a major threat or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I'm enjoying it. Glad to see that "Force Commander" -- or Baron Kaigan (or whatever) -- will have a more prominent role in this series. I always thought he was a cool figure, and hated the way he got treated in the original series (a couple of brief appearance and his ass kicked pretty bad).

But Oz is beginning to grow on me a bit. I like the fact that they're resorting to later figures like Pharoid and Orbital Defender in this book. If there's one thing I wish they'd rectify is how the Acroyear 2's are so easy to destroy. If they're the upgrade for the Acroyears, they seem pretty sucky. At least have one of them be a major threat or something.
    I think I actually like Force Commander/Daigon's design more than Karza's--both in regards to figures and the comics. It just sticks out to me more.

And I was kind of thinking as well that there'd be a "primary" Acroyear II (like Biotron, Space Glider, and Acroyear himself) who would be a sort of rival to Acroyear. I guess we could still get that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    I think I actually like Force Commander/Daigon's design more than Karza's--both in regards to figures and the comics. It just sticks out to me more.

And I was kind of thinking as well that there'd be a "primary" Acroyear II (like Biotron, Space Glider, and Acroyear himself) who would be a sort of rival to Acroyear. I guess we could still get that, though.
    It'd actually be cool if they had an Acroyear II that was as individual in personality as the "normal" Arcoyear. Give him a nice foil rather than simply serving up the A2's as cannon fodder.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I'm still trying to allow myself to get to know these characters. I'm not yet fully vested in "if I care about x over y" character yet.
    The art is good and the story is seemingly straightforward so I'm with it for the first arc.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

I'm finding I like the characters, but find the absence of Karza to be an issue. While I agree that he does not need to be in every issue we do need to learn about his motivation in order to set him up as a credible threat.

Maybe I am still stuck in the past with Mantlo's characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker in Eternity View Post
    I'm finding I like the characters, but find the absence of Karza to be an issue. While I agree that he does not need to be in every issue we do need to learn about his motivation in order to set him up as a credible threat.

Maybe I am still stuck in the past with Mantlo's characters.
    Going by sneak peeks on Max Dunbar's twitter, there's going to be a lot more of Karza and Shazraella right away.

Given how this issue took place pretty much entirely in one place, I think showing off more of the team's interactions and dynamics was top priority here, and that is just as important as Karza's motivations and the like. With how this issue ended, though, I think the next ones will definitely be getting more into Karza, Daigon, etc.

And don't worry, I've seen much worse cases of people stuck in the past and refusing to like anything that isn't exactly like the old stuff.

Thanks, everyone. I guess I was a bit stuck in, all the while misremembering, the past. I'm in for the long haul.