Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Lack of Hulk Sequels?

Why are other characters like Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor getting sequels for the Marvel Cinematic Universe, But why is the Hulk not getting sequels?.

They are acting like he is a difficult character?.

Fantastic Member

I think part of it is that Universal still owns the distributions rights. Not sure how that factors into the overall profit structure for the film, but I can see Marvel holding out if they aren't going all of the money like they do on the other characters. I know Fegie and Ruffalo have both talked about Planet Hulk being something they would like to explore. Maybe they will use Thor 3 and Infinity War to begin setting that up?

BANNED

I think it's inevitable that we'll see another Hulk sequel soon enough. As the others have mentioned though, it's about the rights rather than the commercial viability of the movie.

The film rights are certainly an issue, but it's also because the last time Marvel Studios did Hulk it barely made back it's production budget, and that's not even taking marketing expenses into account.
    My pull list
    A-Force, All-New Inhuman, All-New All-Different Avengers, Captain America: Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, The Ultimates, and Weirdworld.

Fantastic Member

Rights are one issue, and also its a lot of CGI required for Hulk making it expensive to make. Especially if they did something like a Planet Hulk

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marvelousmetalmouse View Post
    The film rights are certainly an issue, but it's also because the last time Marvel Studios did Hulk it barely made back it's production budget, and that's not even taking marketing expenses into account.
    It is pretty different now though. The Incredible Hulk movie came on the heels of the very very poorly received Ang Lee Hulk movie which definitely cut into the box office. Now the Hulk is one of Marvels most popular characters after the two Avengers movies. Add that to the fact that the Marvel brand itself is so popular and a new Hulk movie I think would do at minimum double the box office that the last Hulk movie did.

I would love to see them use something like the Ground Zero story from Peter Davids run as inspiration for a new Hulk movie.

I'd like it if they could eventually pick up the subplot of banner's gamma blood being used to create new Hulk people, not sure how most people feel about it but I'd eventually like to see She-hulk and the Red Hulk or maybe even the Totally Awesome Hulk. Or at least have abomination comeback.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I'd like it if they could eventually pick up the subplot of banner's gamma blood being used to create new Hulk people, not sure how most people feel about it but I'd eventually like to see She-hulk and the Red Hulk or maybe even the Totally Awesome Hulk. Or at least have abomination comeback.
    Rulk would be my ideal Hulk movie villain, but I think that would be a hard sell for movie audiences. Comic book audiences are used to seeing silly variations on their favourite characters portrayed in a serious way, movie audiences aren't.

I think Rulk would be an iffy prospect as a villain at best. I kinda feel like his time has come and gone as far as the comics go. And it would really be another case of the villain just being a doppelganger of the hero (see Red Skull, Iron Monger, Yellowjacket).

There's a part of me that would like to see the Abomination get another go (and yes, I realize that counteracts what I said about doppelgangers), except play up the fact that this guy was a black ops spy before being made into a gamma-radiated monster; he should be cunning and ruthless and stealthy, not just all yelling and smashing. The obvious choice would be the Leader, in a situation where his gamma-charged intellect creates all kinds of havoc for the Hulk (just make sure he's presented better than Hector Hammond in the Green Lantern movie, as far as giant heads go). It could lead to a "meeting of the minds" between Hulk and Banner in order to finally defeat the guy.

Personally, I'd love to see Marvel do the U-Foes, just to show Fox how to do the FF right, albeit in a villainous fashion.

I wouldnt be surprised if Marvel is sitting on a script for Hulk, just waiting for the moment Universal's distribution rights expire.

Hulk's far more popular post-Avengers than he was in 2008, the CGI costs are likely a small concern after Rocket and Groot, and Ruffalo has built a strong foundation among the fans.

Pretty sure at this point its just Marvel not wanting to share the profits with Universal, which, given the expenses involved, is fairly understandable. These films aint cheap, and Hulk would cost a pretty fair chunk to make. I dont know how the distribution deal is set up, but it might be the difference between Marvel/Disney seeing a satisfying return and breaking even.

But word is that Hulk has a subplot that runs through Thor 3 and the next two Avengers films, and they've said that this is going to be Hulk's "stealth" sequel, and when those scenes and subplots are combined it'll provide a nice, strong story for Banner.

Personally Im hoping for Maestro. Not a lot of villains at Marvel who have what it takes to follow Thanos (especially with most of the best ones owned by Fox) but Maestro is certainly near the top of the list.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Just trying to play devils advocate here but besides the Universal rights issue, could it also be that Marvel has doubts that the Hulk could actually hold together an entire movie on his own? Sure he's proved popular in the 2 Avengers movies so far but what did he actually do in them? He's kinda been like a 'impact' character in that wherever he's on screen, he's shown stealing the show from everyone by spectacularly demolishing everything around himself but personality wise, he's hardly spoke more that a few words or shown any other emotion besides been angry or moody. Unless they develop the character more in the third Thor movie and the 2 forthcoming Avengers movies then I can see any future Hulk movie being just like the first two when it was more of a Bruce Banner focused story with the Hulk only showing up to do the fighting. Now you might think that's not necessarily a bad thing as Mark Ruffalo is a fine actor and he could carry the movie but then so were Eric Banna and Edward Norton and neither of their movies were quite the successes that everyone hoped.

what do everyone else think about this?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think to really sell a new Hulk movie Marvel has to go against their usual formula and really play up the villain. With someone like the Hulk you have to have a strong baddie for him to play against. I think it is a no-brainer to put him up against the Leader. Brains vs. Brawn. They already set the Leader up in Incredible Hulk anyway so it is not like they are bringing in a totally new character which could make fleshing him out easier.

She-Hulk would be a good way to go with a sequel.
    Less cgi, more body paint and make-up.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Just trying to play devils advocate here but besides the Universal rights issue, could it also be that Marvel has doubts that the Hulk could actually hold together an entire movie on his own? Sure he's proved popular in the 2 Avengers movies so far but what did he actually do in them? He's kinda been like a 'impact' character in that wherever he's on screen, he's shown stealing the show from everyone by spectacularly demolishing everything around himself but personality wise, he's hardly spoke more that a few words or shown any other emotion besides been angry or moody. Unless they develop the character more in the third Thor movie and the 2 forthcoming Avengers movies then I can see any future Hulk movie being just like the first two when it was more of a Bruce Banner focused story with the Hulk only showing up to do the fighting. Now you might think that's not necessarily a bad thing as Mark Ruffalo is a fine actor and he could carry the movie but then so were Eric Banna and Edward Norton and neither of their movies were quite the successes that everyone hoped.

what do everyone else think about this?
    I think you might have a point. There's certainly more to the whole thing than cgi budgets and distribution rights. I mean, they made the Spider-Man deal happen, Im sure Marvel could work something out with Universal, unless they have the same kind of blind-hate relationship they supposedly have with Fox.

I also think that Marvel has learned they can go outside their usual formula and still be successful. The Netflix stuff is really a whole different kind of thing in terms of tone and approach than anything else (including the tv stuff like SHIELD and Carter) and Winter Soldier and Civil War moved away from that formula a little bit too (though not as much as some seem to think). It could be that they dont have a script they feel confident enough in, or perhaps they're just happy to expand the universe and maybe plan on bringing Hulk back for solo films once they've finished with the original trilogies (Thor 3 being all thats left, unless Downy and Evans sign on for more).

Agreed on the villain needing more focus though. The movies have gotten really, really bad with that. I mean, Zemo could have been taken out of Civil War entirely, he was such a non-entity. Really, with a couple of obvious exceptions, all the movie villains have been pretty weak and I do agree that Hulk needs better than that to work.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.