Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Johns has promised that Rebirth would bring hope and optimism in the DC universe. So far it has only brought a lot of pessimism in the Superman board.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Maybe Wednesday will change things a bit?....

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    Maybe Wednesday will change things a bit?....
    For the worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Johns has promised that Rebirth would bring hope and optimism in the DC universe. So far it has only brought a lot of pessimism in the Superman board.
    One man's (Johns's) "love letter" is another's "suicide note."

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Pretty much.

You know, I agree with a lot of the complaints that got leveled at the 52. It was needlessly dark in some places, needlessly convoluted, needlessly controversial. Not across the board, but in some cases. And the sense of history and legacy and optimism that DC used to have got, largely, lost. Again, not across the board. I think the 52 was infinitely better than what DC had done since 2005-ish. But in several cases I agree with the detractors.

However, when it comes to Superman the reboot started out doing exactly what it should have and DC has only itself to blame for this decline. It wasn't Nuperman that lead to such disappointing sales in 2015, it was the people running the show who drove quality into the ground again. Just as they drove quality into the ground post-Crisis.

When it comes to Johns, I believe he truly does love comics and DC. I believe he truly does his best to make the DCU a better place that embraces its history without being restrained by it (nostalgia is a great tool but nothing more, shouldnt be more, and I think Johns gets that). Granted, his best hasn't been as good as it used to be, but even then the guy is busy; he's basically the power behind the throne these days so who can blame him for passing in scripts that aren't up to par with what he did years ago when he was just another up-and-comer?

But his Superman? F**k. Johns needs to listen to his instincts when it comes to Superman.....and then do the exact opposite. Because he is likely the single greatest threat to Superman the modern world has ever seen.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    For the worse?
    I hope it calms things down if we know what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Black Science.
    I love Black Science. Someone here recommended it me a while back (Maybe it was you), and I wound up getting every issue and then subscribing. I really like it a lot. So, I second that recommendation. My only caveat in recommending as a replacement for Superman would be that it's not much like Superman- totally different concept (So it's a good replacement in the sense that it's a good comic, but not in the sense of like telling the same type of stories or having similar characters). Reminiscent of the television series, Sliders. It does have some children in it, but they are not "super" children, they just got caught up in what's going on accidentally- and they don't prevent the storylines from being adult oriented 17+ rated tales.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    YI think it would be funny within half a year.. hear the victims of this buy comics in marvel after this.
    I bought and subscribed to Marvel's Squadron Supreme. It's very obviously Justice League influenced, and it's great so far (It's on like issue #7). I went back and got the 2006 version of something called Supreme Power as well, which features different versions of the Squadron Supreme characters, with the 2006 version being written by JMS (Superman: Earth One).

In addition, there are new spin-off series for Hyperion (The Superman analogue) and Nighthawk (the Batman analogue). The Hyperion series is 2 issues in- honestly, I got the two issues and then dropped it because the early plot line and bad guys were not to my tastes, and I saw they were going to drag that out another 2 issues (Would have been fine for an issue or tow), and he seems to have acquired a hopefully temporary annoying sidekick, but I'll check back in on issue #5 when a new arc starts and see where it's at. Nighthawk's #1 is tomorrow, I think, and the solicitations for the early issues sound great, I subscribed to that in advance.

I also got Howard the Duck, which is very quirky. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. It's harder to recommend to people I don't know, because it's it'd be easy to understand people not liking it if they didn't have a very specific sense of humor or like percisely it's sense of quirkiness, but I like it.

I can't say I really like the more popular Marvel comic characters or books, but some of the stuff around the edges is much better than I would have expected.

I hope it calms things down if we know what happened.
    Well, I've read Rebirth now, and I honestly don't think it'll calm things down - mainly because we don't really know what happened. It deals mainly with other things, setting things up and such.

I'll say this to Johns though, it was fairly well-written - he got me intrigued enough to consider picking up some other titles.

But not Superman. That's the thing which kind of sticks out in the issue - that rather does hang a dark shadow over it all.

Can't see myself picking up Justice League either, with Superdad in the lineup.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Pretty much.

You know, I agree with a lot of the complaints that got leveled at the 52. It was needlessly dark in some places, needlessly convoluted, needlessly controversial. Not across the board, but in some cases. And the sense of history and legacy and optimism that DC used to have got, largely, lost. Again, not across the board. I think the 52 was infinitely better than what DC had done since 2005-ish. But in several cases I agree with the detractors.

However, when it comes to Superman the reboot started out doing exactly what it should have and DC has only itself to blame for this decline. It wasn't Nuperman that lead to such disappointing sales in 2015, it was the people running the show who drove quality into the ground again. Just as they drove quality into the ground post-Crisis.

When it comes to Johns, I believe he truly does love comics and DC. I believe he truly does his best to make the DCU a better place that embraces its history without being restrained by it (nostalgia is a great tool but nothing more, shouldnt be more, and I think Johns gets that). Granted, his best hasn't been as good as it used to be, but even then the guy is busy; he's basically the power behind the throne these days so who can blame him for passing in scripts that aren't up to par with what he did years ago when he was just another up-and-comer?

But his Superman? F**k. Johns needs to listen to his instincts when it comes to Superman.....and then do the exact opposite. Because he is likely the single greatest threat to Superman the modern world has ever seen.
    I thoought it was berganza the biggest threat.

I think johns is fine for superman, better him than berganza,lee or didio

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Well, I've read Rebirth now, and I honestly don't think it'll calm things down - mainly because we don't really know what happened. It deals mainly with other things, setting things up and such.

I'll say this to Johns though, it was fairly well-written - he got me intrigued enough to consider picking up some other titles.

But not Superman. That's the thing which kind of sticks out in the issue - that rather does hang a dark shadow over it all.

Can't see myself picking up Justice League either, with Superdad in the lineup.
    Well, with real life getting stressful with upcoming business, and with all my confusion at the moment about what is going on with the Superman story, or the Watchmen deal, I am going to take a rest and go check out the old materials I have, as well as some animated flicks. Even the Angry Birds movie helped forget about this mess for a little bit. Or reading an analogue of Superman Elseworlds, about the character known as Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post

In addition, there are new spin-off series for Hyperion (The Superman analogue) and Nighthawk (the Batman analogue). The Hyperion series is 2 issues in- honestly, I got the two issues and then dropped it because the early plot line and bad guys were not to my tastes, and I saw they were going to drag that out another 2 issues (Would have been fine for an issue or tow), and he seems to have acquired a hopefully temporary annoying sidekick, but I'll check back in on issue #5 when a new arc starts and see where it's at. Nighthawk's #1 is tomorrow, I think, and the solicitations for the early issues sound great, I subscribed to that in advance.

I also got Howard the Duck, which is very quirky. If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. It's harder to recommend to people I don't know, because it's it'd be easy to understand people not liking it if they didn't have a very specific sense of humor or like percisely it's sense of quirkiness, but I like it.

I can't say I really like the more popular Marvel comic characters or books, but some of the stuff around the edges is much better than I would have expected.
    Howard the Duck? I see this character with Gwenpool.. It was fun..

I always like Spiderman .. I've seen a Spiderman comic with Silk recenttly... They have traveled to the past with Uncle Ben still alive... As I imagined .. Not only in video games and TV, I like Spiderman even in comics... and a comic with differents spiderman .. the spiderwomen work together.. there was even a Octopus Spiderman..

Thank you for the recommendations. And I do not expect to see your signature .. but everyone has their opinion and way of expressing what he feels.

-------------

I had a horrible youth by an idiot I met very little, for years some people have made me feel inferior until I finished high school.. but those things never go completely out of your head.

See new52 superman encouraged me, he was suffering but he went ahead. He gave me hope. He has passed Batman in tragic character.. ALL IS OVER FOR THIS CHARACTER.. DC unknown the bad what have done.. I regret that he was superman and no other hero(he would continue here) and always i blame Superman and DC for this.. I never thought anyone would overcome batman in tragic Character..

I think this a hero is what I should found... someone wanting to go ahead despite suffering a lot... someone like this who gives hope .. Maybe Spiderman is like this.. He is cheerful hero and lost his uncle feeling guilty about it.. and I also heard that her friend Gwen had died ..

The legacy of that Great Hero(with a hard life and cursed for his life as superman, as another hero life He had not died), remains in Lana, Chinese Superman and Superwoman.. I wish luck for them.

Today, I see angry people over the Internet for this... Kill a tragic character who they have to suffer so much is not good.. when more
    I see of this character more pain gives me.

Last edited by adrikito; 05-25-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Well, with real life getting stressful with upcoming business, and with all my confusion at the moment about what is going on with the Superman story, or the Watchmen deal, I am going to take a rest and go check out the old materials I have, as well as some animated flicks. Even the Angry Birds movie helped forget about this mess for a little bit. Or reading an analogue of Superman Elseworlds, about the character known as Supreme.
    I'm gonna' go see CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR!!

And I might finally read Kingdom Come - I've been holding off on it until I had an actual physical copy, but money being what it is, and my lazyness, I might just read it digitally after all.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    I'm gonna' go see CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR!!

And I might finally read Kingdom Come - I've been holding off on it until I had an actual physical copy, but money being what it is, and my lazyness, I might just read it digitally after all.
    It is an interesting story, less complicated than what is going on right now.

Also, "Kingdom Come Audiobook Movie" on YouTube is entertaining as well.
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 05-25-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    lol! I don't know if you just made up that quote but it is on point. Very true!
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    I thoought it was berganza the biggest threat.

I think johns is fine for superman, better him than berganza,lee or didio
    Well, thats a good point. But with Johns now having greater influence over the larger-media stuff, his take on Superman is going to bleed into everything. Berganza is at least confined to the comics, and a shrinking readership will eventually force him out regardless of whatever BS inner politics DC is playing. Sales just have to sink enough for WB to get pissed off about it.

Plus, as DC gets more addicted to synergy, what Johns does will come back around and influence the comics more. So we'll have Johns' uninspired Super-crap mixed with Berganza.

Holy s**t, Morrison was prophetic with his Superdoom story, wasnt he? :/
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.