Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

The biggest revelation is that this regime is one step closer to completely destroying DC Comics and if there is any hope for the future, WB has to fire everyone. Keep Johns over in the movieverse if you want, but Didio, Lee, Harras, most of the editors...you have to clean house. We are literally in countdown mode to the end of DC publishing superhero comics otherwise.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

On the Dr. Manhattan thing: there's a certain metatextual element about this that I like: the Watchmen were basically a cynical deconstruction of superheroes that largely misses the point of them; so placing the blame for the mess that the DCU is currently in on the (presumably well-intentioned) meddling of someone who doesn't get superheroes? That works for me.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Rebirth does seem like a desperate attempt to again rely on old customers. Hopefully, the fan fiction of Geoff Johns can actually find new customers so that it will not be the last gasp of dc comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The biggest revelation is that this regime is one step closer to completely destroying DC Comics and if there is any hope for the future, WB has to fire everyone. Keep Johns over in the movieverse if you want, but Didio, Lee, Harras, most of the editors...you have to clean house. We are literally in countdown mode to the end of DC publishing superhero comics otherwise.
    I think that's a highly overdramatic exaggeration.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    There's a lot where we disagree; but on this, we're in full agreement. This is no more the end of DC than New 52 was.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    On the Dr. Manhattan thing: there's a certain metatextual element about this that I like: the Watchmen were basically a cynical deconstruction of superheroes that largely misses the point of them; so placing the blame for the mess that the DCU is currently in on the (presumably well-intentioned) meddling of someone who doesn't get superheroes? That works for me.
    I love the metatext of the preview.
    It's spot-on and gives an in-story explanation of why the DCU has become so dark, the heroes are more feared than admired, villains have become more "extreme", heroes don't enjoy being heroes and they couldn't get married.
    There's been a dark cloud over the DCU for so long and now we know why.

Only fitting that one of the two pieces of fiction that inspired the Dark Age of comics would actually be part of the cause of it.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    There's a lot where we disagree; but on this, we're in full agreement. This is no more the end of DC than New 52 was.
    And wait until the sales for the Post-Rebirth comics come out.
    2016 may end up being a pretty good year for DC.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Its not going to happen tomorrow. But I'm concerned for the first time that it could be an eventuality at some point down the line if things don't get right. And these guys just do the same thing over and over. They're not going to get it right. If they had that ability it would have happened by now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-21-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its not going to happen tomorrow. But I'm concerned for the first time that it could be an eventuality at some point down the line if things don't get right. And these guys just do the same thing over and over. They're not going to get it right. If they had that ability it would have happened by now.
    We won't know if this is "right" or not till the sales figures come in.

But yes, there are no guarantees. But I don't think it's because of any mistakes on the part of Didio et al - it's just that DC's characters simply aren't as desirable as Marvel's. They are periodically going to have to create excitement and attention to bring readers back from the other bright shiny objects out there.
    Last edited by GlennSimpson; 05-21-2016 at 05:45 PM.

BANNED

Same here. I think what's happening with the Watchmen characters was inevitable. If they didn't do it now, they would have done it a few more years from now. And for all we know, their presence in the DCU could be temporary. The plot of Rebirth sounds okay overall, IMO.

I think DC is taking a big gamble here, but it's one that has a lot of potential and that I feel could empower and really drive DC forward if they do it correctly, even if to some degree it involves looking back and bringing to the forefront what was lost in the past thanks to the original reboot.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Same here. I think what's happening with the Watchmen characters was inevitable. If they didn't do it now, they would have done it a few more years from now. And for all we know, their presence in the DCU could be temporary. The plot of Rebirth sounds okay overall, IMO.
    Yeah, I'll need to see how the Dr. Manhattan reference is made. It's possible that it's just a "wink wink" sort of thing, with absolutely no progression beyond that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    And wait until the sales for the Post-Rebirth comics come out.
    2016 may end up being a pretty good year for DC.
    No doubt about that. For all we know this could make more money than the New 52 reboot, if the Rebirth issue is good enough to get new & old readers invested.

Amazing Member

Three Jokers?
    But a deck of cards only has two!
    Man, they fucked up.

Incredible Member

[QUOTE=colonyofcells;2029403]Rebirth does seem like a desperate attempt to again rely on old customers. /QUOTE]

Desperate or not, for some of us it's working. I can't wait to pick this up Wednesday, something I haven't said in years.