Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default (MCU) Did anyone else find Rhodey extremely annoying in Cap 3: Civil War?

Like when he calls Cap arrogant for not wanting to "shift the blame." Also he tells Sam to blindly follow Ross because he has a medal of honor. Or when he sarcasticly congratulates Cap for being a criminal. It just seemed like he was a government yes-man who never thinks on his own.

BTW this isn't political. I'm not some anti-military liberal. I just thought his portrayal, dialogue, and line delivery were annoying

Quite the opposite: I found Rogers to be an arrogant anti-democratic nut, and Rhodey to be the voice of reason. When cops and soldiers are free, no one else is. Cops and soldiers need to be regulated in order to preserve the freedom of the common man. Rogers comes across as insanely arrogant in his desire to be in a role that combines that of cops and soldiers yet not have any of the regulations on cops and soldiers that preserve the freedom of the common man.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Quite the opposite: I found Rogers to be an arrogant anti-democratic nut, and Rhodey to be the voice of reason. When cops and soldiers are free, no one else is. Cops and soldiers need to be regulated in order to preserve the freedom of the common man. Rogers comes across as insanely arrogant in his desire to be in a role that combines that of cops and soldiers yet not have any of the regulations on cops and soldiers that preserve the freedom of the common man.
    Agreed. Despite the fact that the Cap movies have been my favorite out of all the movies, Steve Rodgers was the most annoying thing about this movie. I was actually HOPING Cap's fate would be the same as the comic version.

Amazing Member

I would say that after fighting Nazis, Hydra, and Hydra/SHIELD, it's fitting that his character not trust the government. Especially a worldwide government like the UN. For all he knows, the UN panel could secretly have Hydra connections or connections with even worse entities. It could be winter soldier level corruption all over again, and he's seen it first hand. I think it just makes sense that his character is anti-government

hard hard disagree. i found rhodey to be excellent in the movie. pitch perfect depiction of a capable and educated POC who was often more powerful than his privileged counter-parts. my issue, even after seeing the film for a second time, is how T'Chala is depicted. he always speaks in short, simple words and phrases. very primal and nonintellectual. that's unrealistic and insulting for a king of an advanced culture like wakanda.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HJSSAE View Post
    Or when he sarcasticly congratulates Cap for being a criminal.
    Best line in the movie.

Cap just helped assault how many police officers doing their perfectly reasonable, perfectly normal job? Causing how much damage to flesh and property?

Cap was acting like the world police, and as if he had authority over all people, everywhere, and a right to hurt whoever he felt like hurting. His friend was going to be arrested for crimes... well, okeh, people had seen his friend do them. He can stand trial. That's how arrests and trials work. It's a system. But, this guy, in a foreign country, would rather put a few dozen honest, good people in the hospital than have his friend even risk a trial, because his friend counts more than those jerks. (And, because there's an activation code for his friend, but he can't say that to anyone? Anyone?)

That's selfish. That's unthinking.

Tony and Steve screw up nonstop in Civil War, even though both have their hearts in the right place. I figured that was the point. Everyone in that movie, including Rhodey and Vision and Steve and Wanda make probably not the best decisions. But Cap makes some of the dumbest of all.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 05-22-2016 at 12:28 AM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Cap was awesome in the movie.

Cap knows that registration is not the answer. Besides, villains wouldn't register so it's a disadvantage for the heroes who will register because the villains will know who their loved ones are.

Also, accidents usually happen. Would you prefer the villains getting those serums if the Avengers weren't there to stop them?

BANNED

It was also Rhodes own fault he got hurt in the first place for being in Vision's line of fire.

Yep. He was extremely annoying.

Didn't think anyone from the movie was annoying tbh. And Rhodey's dramatic scene was also so well done which made me feel for him even more despite being on Cap's side. At times Rhodey does feel like a government yes man, but that's sorta part of his character.

To people saying regulation was the right answer: If Cap was ever truely responsible for damage that a city or people wanted to sue him for, they could. You don't need regulation to do that and a lack of regulation doesn't make the Avengers unable to be sued. Regulation in fact just makes it harder to sue someone because they can just claim that they didn't do anything wrong if you're trying to sue for a reason that doesn't already have a specific regulation. If they're following the rules set before them then how can they have done anything wrong?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Rajikaru View Post
    Agreed. Despite the fact that the Cap movies have been my favorite out of all the movies, Steve Rodgers was the most annoying thing about this movie. I was actually HOPING Cap's fate would be the same as the comic version.
    I was #TeamCap going in but was utterly disgusted with him when the movie ended. It's going to take a lot of good writing to convince me that Toni will actually forgive him for his betrayal.

I didn't find him annoying at all. Don Cheadle is just an amazing actor. He didn't say anything that I couldn't see Rhodey saying in the comics.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Only way to ensure freedom is for government to have zero authority over super-types. And we've already seen how horribly corrupt these governmental organizations are in these movies.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Best line in the movie.

Cap just helped assault how many police officers doing their perfectly reasonable, perfectly normal job? Causing how much damage to flesh and property?.
    In fairness, those cops were coming to kill Bucky, because that was really their only tactical option. Cap didn't get involved lightly.

I loved it when the Vision almost killed him.