Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    I do. Cap said that their hands are the best hands to keep the power in. If Tony said that people would be calling Tony and arrogant prick that needs to be controlled. Tony was willing to have oversite and he made Ultron.
    Tony was also willing to ignore oversight when it was convenient for him to do so, as he did with Ross. And that's the real difference between Steve and Tony. Steve will be straight with you while Stark will break the accords behind their back when he thinks he can get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Wasn't it a "shoot on sight" and not a "shoot to kill" order? I feel like that's two different things?
    If you're shooting someone with real ammo you're shooting to kill. Law enforcement and military don't aim for knee caps.

Shooting something so specific is impossible anyway. Movies make it seem like there are big chunks of the body where being shot is only a minor inconvenience, and others where being shot is instant death. It doesn't work that way in real life. In real life there are spots all over the body that are absurdly tough, and those spots are less than an inch from spots where being shot will make that person bleed out in a minute or two.

Consequently, you have people on rare occasion surviving and even fighting with wounds that they never would in a movie, like being shot in the head, or the chest, or being almost riddled with bullets, and many, many more examples of people bleeding out in a couple of minutes because one bullet to the leg hit the femoral artery. The difference of a fraction of an inch can mean the difference between a wound that barely requires hospitalization, and death. Cops aren't accurate enough to pull that off. Even snipers can't do it. It's pure luck.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    And it's usually handled rather poorly there.

And they shouldn't be. The problem with comics is they're a medium that can never end, so any real attempt at lasting consequences end up being undone. Banner has been an Avenger freely recently, but for much of his history he was a fugitive on the run (which makes much more sense). Wanda was a terrorist and given her flip flops should probably be in an institution or at least given some sort of supervised therapy. And given his breakdowns, Pym should probably be kept away as well. In fact he did leave the team for a while after the infamous Yellowjacket incident, but later writers brought him back because of the thing I mentioned before with lasting consequences being overruled in favor of continuing the story.

In any logical, objective assessments of those situations, they should have gone down differently, but comics usually just ignore common sense in favor of what makes a good story.
    So, back to my original question: do you think the comics are a sham for not handling the issue to the standards you're expecting the movies to?

Ordinarily no. When the actually subject is explored, yes. Then it becomes like those Tobacco is Wacko adds created by the cigarette industry.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 05-22-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    So, back to my original question: do you think the comics are a sham for not handling the issue to the standards you're expecting the movies to?
    No, because like I said, that's just a necessary tenant of the medium. Meaningful change or consequences usually don't get to happen because of the way superhero comics are designed.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Considering Rhodey was right, nope.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

No, because like I said, that's just a necessary tenant of the medium. Meaningful change or consequences usually don't get to happen because of the way superhero comics are designed.
    How are the movies significantly different?

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Considering Rhodey was right, nope.
    Well see how the Accords work our in the end ... that will be the real test of who was or wasn't right. But based on the comics and the nature of the genre in general I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Amazing Member

they built a murderbot that killed a bunch of innocent people.
    No, Tony (and Bruce) did. Tony should be in prison. Tony is the only one who needs to be "put in check." Tony is an evil genius who gets praised as a hero for clean up his own messes. He guilt-tripped part of the team into signing the accords by using the death of a kid, only to later in the movie getting even younger kid to help him. The entire team shouldn't be punished for Tony's carelessness

I know everybody wants to be on Tony's side because he's been everyone's favorite superhero since 2008, but he's the problem.
    Last edited by HJSSAE; 05-22-2016 at 12:26 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HJSSAE View Post
    No, Tony (and Bruce) did. Tony should be in prison. Tony is the only one who needs to be "put in check." Tony is an evil genius who gets praised as a hero for clean up his own messes. He guilt-tripped part of the team into signing the accords by using the death of a kid, only to later in the movie getting even younger kid to help him. The entire team shouldn't be punished for Tony's carelessness

I know everybody wants to be on Tony's side because he's been everyone's favorite superhero since 2008, but he's the problem.
    And who is Tony's best friend?

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    How are the movies significantly different?
    I'm not really sure what you're arguing anymore. But generally speaking the narrative confines for a feature film are different than those of a serialized comic.

Quote Originally Posted by HJSSAE View Post
    No, Tony (and Bruce) did. Tony should be in prison.
    The Avengers are an organization. When part of a group, even when it's just two people, screw up that badly, it's a huge black eye. The audience knows that Tony and Bruce hid Ultron from the team, but that doesn't mean everyone knows or would even believe. They'd be asking why Steve and the others didn't stop them.
    Last edited by Holt; 05-22-2016 at 12:50 PM.

Actually it was Scarlet Witch's mind-zap that caused Stark to create Ultron. Why isn't she in jail, anyway?

He says he was already working on Ultron anyway. They make it clear it was something he and Banner were trying do to before they got Loki's scepter. All Wanda did was give him a greater impetus.

And I already touched on the Wanda thing in one of my earlier posts. That she was allowed into the team and not forced to stand trial for her crimes was another point anyone arguing in favor of the Accords would have against Steve.

It was her mind-zap that caused him to be desperate to finish Ultron NOW!NOW!NOW! no matter the method. Ultron could have been simply a quietly and cautiously upgraded version of Jarvis/Friday. It was Scarlet Witch's actions that made it a monster.