View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Yeah, and sheesh, Cerebro must be a hunk of junk if it thought they were mutants. Oh, and if they are not mutants, why did she and Quicksilver lose their powers when she said, "No more mutants"?

Sandy Hausler
    Not to mention the sentinels that identified them as mutants as well. Then we have all of the alternate timelines, dimensions, and what ifs with the twins as Magneto's children, including many where he raised them since birth and there's 100% no question who their parents were.

There's tons of holes in the retcon because it was a half assed story designed for only one thing; to distance the twins from the X-Men IP.

But I agree that the most logical explanation is that it's only wish fulfillment/reality bending from Wanda. Being Magneto's daughter and a mutant as brought her so much unhappiness, so now she's just a genetically modified witch who somehow comes from a legacy of Scarlet Witches that somehow nobody has ever heard of before. And now as she said, she no longer has to care about mutants because she isn't one. "Why didn't you tell me before?" She asked Agatha. Probably because Agatha is also a manifestation of her powers, reinforcing what she wants to hear. That's probably what it'll end up being in the very end. Maybe not in her solo but eventually when this ban on mutants ends. Not the best direction for Wanda but the one that makes most sense, and could have a good ending for her if she actually wakes up and embraces reality.

True test will be Marvel's actions if and when they get back the movie rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Not to mention the sentinels that identified them as mutants as well. Then we have all of the alternate timelines, dimensions, and what ifs with the twins as Magneto's children, including many where he raised them since birth and there's 100% no question who their parents were.

There's tons of holes in the retcon because it was a half assed story designed for only one thing; to distance the twins from the X-Men IP.

But I agree that the most logical explanation is that it's only wish fulfillment/reality bending from Wanda. Being Magneto's daughter and a mutant as brought her so much unhappiness, so now she's just a genetically modified witch who somehow comes from a legacy of Scarlet Witches that somehow nobody has ever heard of before. And now as she said, she no longer has to care about mutants because she isn't one. "Why didn't you tell me before?" She asked Agatha. Probably because Agatha is also a manifestation of her powers, reinforcing what she wants to hear. That's probably what it'll end up being in the very end. Maybe not in her solo but eventually when this ban on mutants ends. Not the best direction for Wanda but the one that makes most sense, and could have a good ending for her if she actually wakes up and embraces reality.
    I agree with your explanation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    True test will be Marvel's actions if and when they get back the movie rights.
    I wouldn't expect to happen before superhero films go the way of the western.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Yeah, and sheesh, Cerebro must be a hunk of junk if it thought they were mutants. Oh, and if they are not mutants, why did she and Quicksilver lose their powers when she said, "No more mutants"?

Sandy Hausler
    The High Evolutionary gave them mutant DNA signatures which fooled Cerebro, mutant detectors and Sentinels. Wanda's M Day spell affected Pietro because she believed he was a mutant, while getting his powers back through use of the terrigen without being poisoned proves that he isn't a mutant.

Extraordinary Member

But that brings up the question: if they register as mutants on all mutant-testing mutant testers; if they lose their powers to "no more mutants" spells, if Sentinels attack them as mutants, if they joined organizations like the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and generally were mutants in every possible way... then how are they not mutants?

That could actually make for an interesting story - is being a mutant simply a matter of naturally having a particular gene, or is it about more than that - but that would require writers to acknowledge that they have been mutants for most of their comic book history, which of course they're currently trying to play down.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The High Evolutionary gave them mutant DNA signatures which fooled Cerebro, mutant detectors and Sentinels. Wanda's M Day spell affected Pietro because she believed he was a mutant, while getting his powers back through use of the terrigen without being poisoned proves that he isn't a mutant.
    He didn't get his power set back. He got a new, time traveling power set which was shown to have a detrimental effect to his health and his sanity. That hardly proves that he isn't a mutant. Frankly Son of M had continuity problems of its own. When Luna was born she was said to be 100% human, that Pietro's genes and Crystal's Inhuman ones 'canceled' each other out somehow. Yet she went under terrigenesis fine in Son of M.

And was it ever given a good explanation why the HE would've lied that they are mutants? Doesn't really make sense. And then there is Bova who had no reason to lie either.

the crappy thing is that this makes the first mutant representatives to become Avengers Namor and Beast, iirc. gross.

I wish they would expand upon Astra's backstory. she seemed to know more than she was letting on. she was able to clone Magneto. did she know that the twins weren't his kids? and what was her past with Nightcrawler?

Extraordinary Member

It will be interesting to see how Avengers 1.1, the upcoming flashback series about the second Avengers lineup, will handle this. It's a very important part of Avengers history that that lineup brought in two mutants (and former Evil Mutants at that). Waid is undoubtedly aware of that, but will he mention that they're mutants? Will he and Brevoort find some way to ignore it? We shall see.

Personally I just ignore this part of the retcon, partly because I just ignore really bad retcons, partly because if everybody thought they were mutants, and they themselves thought they were mutants, they were basically mutants no matter what the comics say now. It's sort of like Principal Skinner on The Simpsons. If everybody thought he was Agnes Skinner's son, and even she sort of made herself believe it, then does it really matter if he was later retconned into being an impostor?

Don't care. This is between Disney & Fox.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post

I've had same thoughts. Hopefully, the sooner they get it over with, the sooner everyone can forget this whole mess ever happened.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

This might seem like a strange question but were Pietro and Wanda always twins? I've read some of their early appearances and can't seem to recall them being mentions as being twins. Was this something that was only revealed when Marvel first gave them a origin story when it was thought that Whizzer and Ms America was their parents or was it mentioned before then?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    This might seem like a strange question but were Pietro and Wanda always twins? I've read some of their early appearances and can't seem to recall them being mentions as being twins. Was this something that was only revealed when Marvel first gave them a origin story when it was thought that Whizzer and Ms America was their parents or was it mentioned before then?
    I'd have to go back and check but I think you're right about that. We knew from the start that they are brother and sister but I think it might not have been until the GS Avengers story that shows that they are twins. So that might be another idea that was "stolen" from that story and slapped onto the Magneto paternity, just like the fact that they were born in Transia on Wundagore mountain.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-31-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    This might seem like a strange question but were Pietro and Wanda always twins? I've read some of their early appearances and can't seem to recall them being mentions as being twins.
    can't say that I remember. I just remember it being very old art. Wanda was chiding Pietro for being overprotective; talking about being born seconds before him. "Witch of Wundagore" story, maybe.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 08-31-2016 at 02:11 PM.