View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 1 of 37 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

We are now two years into the retcon that Magneto is no longer the father of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

I have yet to read anyone defend it personally on any X-Board and I am curious how has it actually gone down among Avengers fans.

Does the retcon have any fans?

There are two questions rather than one, really. Firstly, there's the Magneto parentage, which was in itself a retcon. Secondly, there's the retcon that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are no longer mutants.

I'm not too bothered by the retcon that Magneto is no longer the father. I am irritated by the retcon that they are no longer mutants, a status that they held from their very first appearance back in the 60s, as that's transparently motivated by IP rights.

Poll really should have a "I don't care" option, really. "Liking" and "Not liking" is not the same as "Shrugging"

Yeah going to with Coin Biter on this. I was only bothered about the reduction in significant mutant heroes.

Plus it actually reduces the original impact of Wanda, a mutant, uttering "No more mutants." herself. It had a dash of self-loathing, turning-into-the-thing-you-hate kinda vibe, which you know, gave House of M more depth.

And what's the replacement explanation we get? They're the High Evolutionary's test tube/genetically modified babies that he stole at one point, and then gave back. Because why the **** not.

At THAT point, why couldn't they just be freaking magic? You already had Wanda's connection with C'thon and chaos magic, just have her mom be impregnated by an elder god. That would honestly explain every single thing that's happened in her life up till now.
    Last edited by Byakko; 05-22-2016 at 07:43 AM.

I don't mind because it feels like everything that could be done with that relationship has been done. I'd rather them come up with something new to do with Magneto.

Looks like Fox is keeping the connection in their franchise, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like Fox is keeping the connection in their franchise, though.
    They get to monetize 'mutants' but Disney and Marvel studios can't. That's the big difference.

I don't like this retcon considering it had become so deeply rooted into their history that even every adaption short of the MCU has used Magneto as the parent and it just reeks so transparently of politics. On top of that, it annoys me that just as PAD was developing the sibling relationship of Pietro and Wanda with Lorna, Marvel decides to retcon that away as well. To top it off, that awful Uncanny Avengers arc that followed it didn't help matters at all.

BANNED

Meh, at best.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

No, I don't like it at all. I'm less bothered by the fact that Magneto is no longer their father as the idea that Quicksilver specifically is no longer his son. I know that may sound confusing, but I really enjoyed the story Son of M, despite all its flaws. But the underlying message that is so important is the idea of Quicksilver becoming like his father in an effort to save his people - adopting a pure ends justify the means attitude and willing to trample on friend and foe alike for this action. Him not being Magneto's son completely undermines this. I also agree with others that it waters down the impact of Wanda's "No more mutants." It's impactful because it's her people.

To me, a retcon is OK, provided a couple things. One, it shouldn't undermine the impact of the original story. Second, it should be done because they have story ideas they want to explore with the retcon. The Phoenix retcon is probably the biggest example. They found a way to make Jean's inherent nobility still relevant in that her good is what caused the Phoenix to sacrifice itself. They did it while taking away the thing that prevented Jim Shooter from allowing her to be resurrected (the blame for her genocide), but that small change allowed Jean to come back, which led to a whole lot of soap opera goodness in X-Factor.

I don't know. Has the Wanda and Pietro retcon actually led to any stories of significance?

All this being said, since Wanda has reality altering powers, it's possible they were Magneto's kids at some point and now they're not because of Wanda.

Nope. From a storytelling perspective, it removes a large chunk of drama and leaves nothing substantial in its place. One of the most notorious villains of the MU being the father of two long-time Avengers is a potential source of narrative tension between the twins and Mags, the X-Men and Avengers, the Avengers and the greater MU, etc. Wanda and Pietro not being Magneto's children has much less to offer, both in the immediate and the long-term.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 05-22-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The poll result says it all!

Magneto is my favorite villain in all of comics and him not having kids really removes a part of his character that I like. That is that he will go all out to protect the mutant race even if he has to use his children in order to do it.

I wasn't crazy about the new retcon to the Maximoff's parentage to begin with, because I thought that element and connection between Magneto, Wanda, and Pietro added a lot to both the Marvel Universe and their characters, and nothing has been done since it happened that's made up for it.

You lose the element that the Maximoffs are Mutants who became Avengers, and the drama that they're also related to one of the most well-known Mutant Extremist in the world and what that means for them and their status.

It completely ruined all of PAD's development of the sibling relationships between Lorna, Pietro, and Wanda in his X-Factor run now that Lorna's no longer related to both of them.

Magneto no longer has any connection to Luna, Pietro and Crystal's daughter, and that was always a humanizing element for him.

House of M loses some impact because of it, and Wanda looks even worse for "No More Mutants" now then she already did.

They still blame him for all of their problems. Nothing has changed.

I don't mind them not being mutants, but not being Magneto's children is just stupid. And it feels all for nothing since they decided to kill Pietro on the movies and not to promote Wanda like all the other heroes...