View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

We are now two years into the retcon that Magneto is no longer the father of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

I have yet to read anyone defend it personally on any X-Board and I am curious how has it actually gone down among Avengers fans.

Does the retcon have any fans?

There are two questions rather than one, really. Firstly, there's the Magneto parentage, which was in itself a retcon. Secondly, there's the retcon that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are no longer mutants.

I'm not too bothered by the retcon that Magneto is no longer the father. I am irritated by the retcon that they are no longer mutants, a status that they held from their very first appearance back in the 60s, as that's transparently motivated by IP rights.

Poll really should have a "I don't care" option, really. "Liking" and "Not liking" is not the same as "Shrugging"

Yeah going to with Coin Biter on this. I was only bothered about the reduction in significant mutant heroes.

Plus it actually reduces the original impact of Wanda, a mutant, uttering "No more mutants." herself. It had a dash of self-loathing, turning-into-the-thing-you-hate kinda vibe, which you know, gave House of M more depth.

And what's the replacement explanation we get? They're the High Evolutionary's test tube/genetically modified babies that he stole at one point, and then gave back. Because why the **** not.

At THAT point, why couldn't they just be freaking magic? You already had Wanda's connection with C'thon and chaos magic, just have her mom be impregnated by an elder god. That would honestly explain every single thing that's happened in her life up till now.
    Last edited by Byakko; 05-22-2016 at 07:43 AM.

I don't mind because it feels like everything that could be done with that relationship has been done. I'd rather them come up with something new to do with Magneto.

Looks like Fox is keeping the connection in their franchise, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like Fox is keeping the connection in their franchise, though.
    They get to monetize 'mutants' but Disney and Marvel studios can't. That's the big difference.

I don't like this retcon considering it had become so deeply rooted into their history that even every adaption short of the MCU has used Magneto as the parent and it just reeks so transparently of politics. On top of that, it annoys me that just as PAD was developing the sibling relationship of Pietro and Wanda with Lorna, Marvel decides to retcon that away as well. To top it off, that awful Uncanny Avengers arc that followed it didn't help matters at all.

BANNED

Meh, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I don't like this retcon considering it had become so deeply rooted into their history that even every adaption short of the MCU has used Magneto as the parent and it just reeks so transparently of politics. On top of that, it annoys me that just as PAD was developing the sibling relationship of Pietro and Wanda with Lorna, Marvel decides to retcon that away as well. To top it off, that awful Uncanny Avengers arc that followed it didn't help matters at all.
    Everybody's familial relationship with Magneto was retcon. Before Magneto, their parents were The Whizzer and Miss America (which I really liked) and before that, they were the children of a Roma couple (which, I guess, is canon again). And it had been established from Lorna's first appearance that she was NOT the daughter of Magneto (though the robot Magneto claimed otherwise). So it doesn't bother me that he's childless again. Not the kind of guy who you'd want as a father.

Sandy Hausler

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Is there going to be a Giant-Size Polaris one-shot that explores how the comicbook character Lorna feels about the loss of the sibling relationship? Is she happy or sad about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    I'm not too bothered by the retcon that Magneto is no longer the father. I am irritated by the retcon that they are no longer mutants, a status that they held from their very first appearance back in the 60s, as that's transparently motivated by IP rights.
    Yeah, and sheesh, Cerebro must be a hunk of junk if it thought they were mutants. Oh, and if they are not mutants, why did she and Quicksilver lose their powers when she said, "No more mutants"?

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Yeah, and sheesh, Cerebro must be a hunk of junk if it thought they were mutants. Oh, and if they are not mutants, why did she and Quicksilver lose their powers when she said, "No more mutants"?

Sandy Hausler
    Not to mention the sentinels that identified them as mutants as well. Then we have all of the alternate timelines, dimensions, and what ifs with the twins as Magneto's children, including many where he raised them since birth and there's 100% no question who their parents were.

There's tons of holes in the retcon because it was a half assed story designed for only one thing; to distance the twins from the X-Men IP.

But I agree that the most logical explanation is that it's only wish fulfillment/reality bending from Wanda. Being Magneto's daughter and a mutant as brought her so much unhappiness, so now she's just a genetically modified witch who somehow comes from a legacy of Scarlet Witches that somehow nobody has ever heard of before. And now as she said, she no longer has to care about mutants because she isn't one. "Why didn't you tell me before?" She asked Agatha. Probably because Agatha is also a manifestation of her powers, reinforcing what she wants to hear. That's probably what it'll end up being in the very end. Maybe not in her solo but eventually when this ban on mutants ends. Not the best direction for Wanda but the one that makes most sense, and could have a good ending for her if she actually wakes up and embraces reality.

True test will be Marvel's actions if and when they get back the movie rights.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    True test will be Marvel's actions if and when they get back the movie rights.
    I wouldn't expect to happen before superhero films go the way of the western.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    Not to mention the sentinels that identified them as mutants as well. Then we have all of the alternate timelines, dimensions, and what ifs with the twins as Magneto's children, including many where he raised them since birth and there's 100% no question who their parents were.

There's tons of holes in the retcon because it was a half assed story designed for only one thing; to distance the twins from the X-Men IP.

But I agree that the most logical explanation is that it's only wish fulfillment/reality bending from Wanda. Being Magneto's daughter and a mutant as brought her so much unhappiness, so now she's just a genetically modified witch who somehow comes from a legacy of Scarlet Witches that somehow nobody has ever heard of before. And now as she said, she no longer has to care about mutants because she isn't one. "Why didn't you tell me before?" She asked Agatha. Probably because Agatha is also a manifestation of her powers, reinforcing what she wants to hear. That's probably what it'll end up being in the very end. Maybe not in her solo but eventually when this ban on mutants ends. Not the best direction for Wanda but the one that makes most sense, and could have a good ending for her if she actually wakes up and embraces reality.
    I agree with your explanation.