View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I thought Magneto's attempt to be a dad was pretty funny and even semi-realistic in the second Vision & the Scarlet Witch series, and he was also quite good in "Children's Crusade" trying to reconnect with his semi-grandchildren.

Let's face it, the relationship has been poisoned for both Wanda's fans and non-fans by "Darker Than Scarlet," "Avengers Disassembled," "House of M" and "Axis," which together all make it seem like Wanda is going to be portrayed as insane and vindictive whenever her relationship to Magneto comes up. It didn't have to be that way, but you'll notice in each of those stories Magneto is the reasonable guy trying to calm down his insane daughter. They could revive the relationship in a way that respected both characters, but does anybody really trust any writer or editor at Marvel to do that?

Wanda's fans also have additional resentment because of how the Magneto relationship turned her into a supporting character on "Wolverine & the X-Men" and caused her to be left out of "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes." That was the low point of the period when it looked like Wanda would just be a minor X-character forever. The MCU may have rescued her to some extent but it still irritates her fans. (Pietro's too, maybe, because he wasn't all that well portrayed on that show.)

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

As opposed to being invested in Lorna’s continual codependency on the men in her life, even to the point she likes to collect their clothing and dress up as them? Or can’t decide who she wants to please more, Daddy or Havok? How about Magneto abandoning her until she was useful when his powers started to wane? He was never going to tell Lorna until she forced the issue. When Magneto found out he was related to the twins, he rushed to them to reveal the truth. He basically planned to let her live without ever unlocking her powers or memories. In no way is Lorna’s relationship that much healthier, except he’s never physically abused her. Mental illness is a large part of what draws fans to this family, and how they interact with that and each other. Because people are drawn to that, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    As opposed to being invested in Lorna’s continual codependency on the men in her life, even to the point she likes to collect their clothing and dress up as them? Or can’t decide who she wants to please more, Daddy or Havok? How about Magneto abandoning her until she was useful when his powers started to wane? He was never going to tell Lorna until she forced the issue. When Magneto found out he was related to the twins, he rushed to them to reveal the truth. He basically planned to let her live without ever unlocking her powers or memories. In no way is Lorna’s relationship that much healthier, except he’s never physically abused her. Mental illness is a large part of what draws fans to this family, and how they interact with that and each other. Because people are drawn to that, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
    you realize he allowed lorna a normal and happy life instead of taking her into his brotherhood of evil mutants life style, wich was the most responsible thing to do as the father, a type of care the twins did not get.
    and he has made mistakes true but he has tried to make ammends and work trough with it, their relantionship is complicated, not toxic like it is to the twins.

they share a history, values and common experiences, and lorna actually cares about him, the twins blaming their entire life's problems on the sperm donor isnt a bond
    Last edited by Ferro; 02-22-2020 at 11:07 PM.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

I think this really has come to a closed circle. You will never admit Magneto and twins care for each other despite their terrible differences, like many families (but exaggerated here because comics), or is as valid as Lorna’s is to him. There’s having a preference, and then there’s rank denial.

BANNED

I think this really has come to a closed circle. You will never admit Magneto and twins care for each other despite their terrible differences, like many families (but exaggerated here because comics), or is as valid as Lorna’s is to him. There’s having a preference, and then there’s rank denial.
    well theres noting to admit because they arent related, case closed

Wanda hates Magneto though, lol. Like she's said she's happy she's not really related to him. She refused to take his last name. No means no.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I think that's true, because if it weren't for Zub, Wanda wouldn't have been around as much as she is now. And she has a show, has been in the movies, etc. But was still missing from comics for over 6 months. They take some things from the MCU, but are very selective.
    thats an avengers office problem, this theory would make sense if there was any references to the twins or a writer with interest in them, hickman seems to not like them.
    whatever is going on it most likely has nothing to do with the x-men offices.
    and its a reach to think wanda vision will change anything to her mutant status, bleeding cool on various drugs
    Last edited by Ferro; 02-23-2020 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    thats an avengers office problem, this theory would make sense if there was any references to the twins or a writer with interest in them, hickman seems to not like them.
    whatever is going on it most likely has nothing to do with the x-men offices
    I agree. Because they've stated before they do books based on the pitch of the writers. So I believe that the absences of characters is just based on no interest from creators at that moment. Because there's just simply something else that they want to write.

At times it sucks when my favorite character is out of comics for a long time. But there are many others who have been out of comics longer.

That's not to say that I don't believe there are mandates or things turned down. But just that for the most part, it's not some big plan from the top. But just a result of creative freedom.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I agree. Because they've stated before they do books based on the pitch of the writers. So I believe that the absences of characters is just based on no interest from creators at that moment. Because there's just simply something else that they want to write.

At times it sucks when my favorite character is out of comics for a long time. But there are many others who have been out of comics longer.

That's not to say that I don't believe there are mandates or things turned down. But just that for the most part, it's not some big plan from the top. But just a result of creative freedom.
    its very likely under hickman its going to stay the same status, and when he leaves, mcu wanda will probably be more popular with more content without any conections to mutants.
    Its very very likely this change will stick and I say good ridance
    Last edited by Ferro; 02-23-2020 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    its very likely under hickman its going to stay the same status, and when he leaves, mcu wanda will probably be more popular with more content without any conections to mutants.
    Its very very likely this change will stick and I say good ridance
    You're. Killin'. Me. lol
    GrindrStone(D)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    You're. Killin'. Me. lol
    whats so funny?
    i really dont understand

If they are gonna suggest she'd be more popular, as a mutant and Mags' kid then they need to look no further than when she was a mutant and Mags daughter. Because she wasn't well known and had very little merchandise. Despite a couple cartoons with her stuck in the Brotherhood, she was only known by comics fans. There was very little fanfare about her online before the movies. And she was still a mutant and Mags' daughter when she was thrown away from comics for 7 years. Only the movies have improved her status.

Extraordinary Member

Attachment 93580Attachment 93581Attachment 93582

It adds so much to both Magneto and the twins. Especially when writers are sympathetic to them all and not slapping down one to prop up the other. It explains why Wanda has such antipathy towards the mutant community despite being related to people who are mutants, while Pietro has gone on the record as believing magic is the root of all their problems. If that was explored, and how they treat their respective relationship to mutants and magic, that would be a great story. Magneto confronting his own views on mutant-human relationship in light of having a human daughter (who committed an act of genocide against mutantdom, and her culpability is always being debated ad nauseum) would be a great story. Pietro being torn between his desire to remain loyal to his family, even across species line, and protect his people against the forces that want to wipe them all out is also a great story.

It’s when it goes into the black and white of if Wanda or Magneto is right or wrong, that we get toxic storytelling and dynamics that tears down one to build up the other. No one likes that, and it only fosters ill will in the fandom.
    All because the invisible hand, I mean the office behind his kind needs drama off-page. I honestly don't want to see such great story.
    Magneto should probably seek someone else to fill his pain as a daddy, heck, make Legacy Virus, Bastalion a hot girl who is involved with Mags or something.
    Honestly it's less about "Black and White", it's more that they simply deal with different territory and business, with different focus.
    Wanda already has her chosen family, Magneto as her former boss serves as a fine character starting point and that's pretty much it.
    And House of M is the only example I will need to be convinced nothing good can come out of this overdramatic family business. One is enough, more than enough. I prefer her to be functionally alive.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 02-23-2020 at 07:48 PM.

Quicksilver suffers immensely from the loss of Magneto as his father. Wanda less so.

BANNED

Magneto might be her father
    But he wasnt her dad

And that's all that needs to be said among all the retcons