View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I think the characters most hurt by this were Quicksilver and Polaris as they have less connections than Magneto and Scarlet Witch.
    I think so as well at the end Magneto has a solid battery of connections throughout the Marvel universe to play upon as well as a solid raison d'être that writers universally accept even if they disagree on some of the specifics.

I don't think Wanda's raison d'être is quite as universally agreed upon by writers. But, she maintains a huge laundry list of established connections and relationships to call upon.

With Lorna and Pietro they both lack a unifed idea from most writers about what drives them and motivates them and they are really poor when it comes to established connections.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-27-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    This was actually something I didn't like about them being Magneto's children, that because Magneto was a more famous character, some writers would make everything in their lives revolve around Magneto. When Wanda has been a popular character it's usually in stories from before that retcon took place, or in the late '90s Avengers (which rarely mentioned Magneto). By the time of House of M it was clear that most writers really only knew her as Magneto's daughter.

So I was hopeful that the severing of their relationship with Magneto would at least open them up to some new stories, but it hasn't worked out that way at all. Now writers don't seem to know who they are at all anymore.
    I want Wanda to have an identity of her own and not be defined by who her father is. Being Magneto's daughter did Wanda no good. She was demonized and thrown into limbo because of hit. Now that she isn't Magneto's daughter, she gets to be a good guy again and have her own stories.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Magneto being the twins father also necessitates the twins being de-aged. Magnus is a young adult when he was a prisoner in Auschwitz and became a Sonderkommando. After the war, he marries Magda and they have a child together name Anya. When Anya dies and Magneto frightens Magda with the display of his powers, she is pregnant with the twins. He never knew that she sought shelter at the HE's fortress on Mount Wundagore. With them being born shortly after the war and before Magneto goes to Israel, this would mean that the twins would be much much older. So the retcon would have to include a period of time when the twins would have been put in some kind of suspended animation to accommodate Marvel's sliding timeline.

In any case, Magneto spent no time with them as a parent from birth to adulthood. Even if Marvel does reverse course and go back to him being their father, at best, he's just a bio dad with no prior history with them until they became adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I want Wanda to have an identity of her own and not be defined by who her father is. Being Magneto's daughter did Wanda no good. She was demonized and thrown into limbo because of hit. Now that she isn't Magneto's daughter, she gets to be a good guy again and have her own stories.
    Agreed. HoM did the twins no favors and put Wanda in exile from comic book exile for far too many years.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-27-2016 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Agreed. HoM did the twins no favors and put Wanda in exile from comic book exile for far too many years.
    Avengers Disassembled was come up with to realign the Avengers titles. And, Bendis didn't do it because of who her dad was. In fact Magneto didn't even come into things or his thinking according to Bendis until Loeb read the script for Avengers 503 and asked where was Magneto and Bendis decided to write him in and then he and Joe Q realized after the storyline the potental to use her to get rid of their too many mutants problem.

Wanda as a character was used as a tool to wreck the old Avengers and decimate the mutants, but it wasn't her family ties that convinced Marvel editors and writers to use her as a tool.

Bendis had every intention of using her regardless of who her daddy was for smashing the Avengers and admitted as such in interviews.
    Last edited by jmc247; 08-27-2016 at 08:32 PM.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I think that the twins are getting more popular. Pietro was the best thing about X-Men: Apocalypse, and Wanda is winning fans in the MCU films. The second volume of Uncanny Avengers set up Scarlet Witch's ongoing series, which is a first for her. They have entered mainstream culture for the first time.
    They would've had that even if Marvel didn't retcon their parentage. This just makes their backstory even more confusing and screws up their history.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Magneto being the twins father also necessitates the twins being de-aged.
    I believe Brevoort once said on his Tumblr that that's one of the reasons he supported the retcon. He doesn't like the idea of characters being tied to a particular point in time if they don't have to be, and once Magneto was retconned into being a Holocaust survivor, this created the problem of how to explain the twins still being young.

Ironically part of the reason for retconning them into being Magneto's children is that the Whizzer/Miss America retcon fixed them as having been born in the 1940s. And then Claremont changed Magneto's backstory so they had to have been born in the '40s again. Retcons are weird.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I believe Brevoort once said on his Tumblr that that's one of the reasons he supported the retcon. He doesn't like the idea of characters being tied to a particular point in time if they don't have to be, and once Magneto was retconned into being a Holocaust survivor, this created the problem of how to explain the twins still being young.

Ironically part of the reason for retconning them into being Magneto's children is that the Whizzer/Miss America retcon fixed them as having been born in the 1940s. And then Claremont changed Magneto's backstory so they had to have been born in the '40s again. Retcons are weird.
    They already had that fixed by the High Evolutionary putting them in stasis a few decades and voila sliding time scale.

Some characters are tied to a period of time like Captain America not becoming a Vet from another war or Magneto, but as for rest it's free floating.

Extraordinary Member

I absolutely hate the change. Its basically epitomizes everything that is currently going wrong with Marvel right now: they're trying to make the comics into the same universe as the movies. Therefore, anything "mutant" can't exist. Next thing you know, they'll retcon it so they're Inhumans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I absolutely hate the change. Its basically epitomizes everything that is currently going wrong with Marvel right now: they're trying to make the comics into the same universe as the movies. Therefore, anything "mutant" can't exist. Next thing you know, they'll retcon it so they're Inhumans.
    I wouldn't have been too upset about the change if they didn't do it to match the movies. That's the worst reason to make changes. Comic creators need to have agency, and not let the movies make decisions for them.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Same that´s exactly the reason why it wasn´t even a well thought out retcon at all. I guess they are planning to un-recton it if they even get the rights back or got a deal done with Fox. Maybe the day isn´t that far off

of course it still could be a while.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-27-2016 at 09:36 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Talking about MCU Pietro vs Fox Pietro,while I liked the concept of the Pietro from AOU "Peter Maximoff" got a way better execution and characterization imo

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-27-2016 at 09:37 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Ultimate Member

It seems like so much of Quicksilver's personality and history is tied to alternately embracing and denying/running away from his connection to Magneto. I don't like the idea that so much of his previous characterization now makes even less sense.

Wanda seems like she's always had other stuff going on, and I don't hate it as much, but I still don't like it. The specter of her father has always loomed over her, and factored into her decision to become a parent, and specifically a better one than she had. (Not that *that* ended well...)

As for Magneto himself, the twins, and his reactions to their extended family (particularly Billy and Tommy), has always sort of humanized him, far more than his annual switches between team evil and team good(ish). So, really, cutting away those ties, IMO, weakens all three of them, in addition to cutting away ties between the Inhumans (through Pietro's marriage to Crystal, and their daughter, Luna), X-Men, Avengers, Young Avengers, etc.

A ton has been lost.

Nothing has been gained.

It just seems like a bad idea, all around.

Things don't *need* to be the same as the MCU. In the MCU, Black Widow, who joined the team *eleven years later,* after *two* other women, was the founding lady Avenger. Star-Lord's dad is *not* J'son of Spartax. There's no reason at all for the comic book continuities to be altered to fit what exists on the big screen, because it's all going to change in a decade or so anyway, when the current crop of actors are all retired and telecommuting to award's shows from their Italian villas and Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, etc. have completely new actors and possibly completely new cinematic origin stories...

This is bad precedent, if the comic books are going to feel like they have to reboot every decade or so, to match the latest on-screen version of each character, in addition to all the *normal* rebooting and retconning that goes on in this medium.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Talking about MCU Pietro vs Fox Pietro,while I liked the concept of the Pietro from AOU "Peter Maximoff" got a way better execution and characterization imo
    I have to disagree severely on that one. Characters that are portrayed as literal gods to the point you have to make up plot devices so they won't solo the entire plot are bad.
    MCU Quicksilver is a lot more useful for telling team-based stories than Fox Quicksilver. Well, you know, if he weren't deadish, but that's besides the point.

I also like that MCU QS was a bit of an arrogant jerk but still a real hero, while Fox QS was just an annoying brat.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I have to disagree severely on that one. Characters that are portrayed as literal gods to the point you have to make up plot devices so they won't solo the entire plot are bad.
    MCU Quicksilver is a lot more useful for telling team-based stories than Fox Quicksilver. Well, you know, if he weren't deadish, but that's besides the point.

I also like that MCU QS was a bit of an arrogant jerk but still a real hero, while Fox QS was just an annoying brat.
    I agree to disagree then Fox´s Quicksilver was indeed annoying for some fans but also he was heroic if still young, inmature and with a less tragic backstory than AOU Quiksilver. MCU Pietro had a good concept but he was killed before he really could be developed as an individual character apart from being "Wanda´s brother" and apart from Haweye´s son he seems to be forgotten for all characters involved imo even Wanda.

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-27-2016 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Avengers Disassembled was come up with to realign the Avengers titles. And, Bendis didn't do it because of who her dad was. In fact Magneto didn't even come into things or his thinking according to Bendis until Loeb read the script for Avengers 503 and asked where was Magneto and Bendis decided to write him in and then he and Joe Q realized after the storyline the potental to use her to get rid of their too many mutants problem.

Wanda as a character was used as a tool to wreck the old Avengers and decimate the mutants, but it wasn't her family ties that convinced Marvel editors and writers to use her as a tool.

Bendis had every intention of using her regardless of who her daddy was for smashing the Avengers and admitted as such in interviews.
    It's such a shame how Wanda's return was handled. Originally she was someone who was mentally ill and did some horrible acts. She could have been forgiven. Then Children's Crusade came along and she was legit responsible for M-Day. Had someone like Peter David or Kieron Gillen took her to the X-Books and had her work with the people she wronged i think they might have actually been able to redeem her, especially Peter David. It's a shame I really miss enjoying that character. The familial relationships were literally the last aspect of the character i was enjoying. Gutted too I would have been so excited for a James Robinson Scarlet Witch series back in the day.

I gave up on Superhero movies after X-Men 3 but Evan Peters easily has more charisma than Aaron Johnson. Better actor too.
    Last edited by blanchett; 08-28-2016 at 03:15 AM.