View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    BANNED

In the manner Wanda and Pietro have been totally "FUBARed" -- the two of them can marry, have children, and live happily ever after with each other... I no longer care!
    Last edited by ZNOP; 08-28-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Good thing it isn't necessary because of Mutant Alpha.
    Yeah, I was gonna say, isn't that the story where Magneto is de-aged to baby status and then grows back? That bit of witchery alone pretty much eliminates any need to explain how he can be so relatively young today. I think they did a similar thing with the JSA to explain why they aren't all, well, basically deceased at this point.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

But the Mutant Alpha story happens while Wanda and Pietro are already adults so that doesn't really help things.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    But the Mutant Alpha story happens while Wanda and Pietro are already adults so that doesn't really help things.
    They aren't talking about Wanda and Pietro, only Magneto. Wanda and Pietro were put in stasis by the High Evolutionary meaning they stopped aging for a few decades.

This is what happens when you have idiots running Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    We are now two years into the retcon that Magneto is no longer the father of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

I have yet to read anyone defend it personally on any X-Board and I am curious how has it actually gone down among Avengers fans.

Does the retcon have any fans?
    To me he never was the father of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. I never liked that retcon.

Of course, I'm sorry that they are not the children of the Whizzer and Miss America. (Speaking of which, whatever happened to Nuklo, the actual son of the Whizzer and Scarlet Witch.)

Sandy Hausler

I absolutely loathe and despise the retcon and it is one of the top reasons I generally have a negative attitude towards Marvel these days.

And let's not pretend the twins' age and Magneto's age has anything to do with the retcon. It has everything to do with movie rights and synergy. Why do you think Squirrel Girl isn't a mutant now!

But since Magneto being the father was a retcon in the first place it already establishes the precedent that their parentage is pretty messy.

Face it guys, the other story happened first....Bob and Madeline Frank go to Mount Wundagore and the children are born. Madeline dies in childbirth and Bob is overcome by grief and rushes out. Pietro at least gets his speed powers from him. Almost ten years later, a story has to be written to place Magneto's wife Anya there at Wundagore at the same time and also about to deliver. Now that was contrived IMO. But I guess it depends on when you started reading Marvel. If you started reading after the Magneto retcon took place than you are more likely to accept that as canon even though the other story came much earlier. It doesn't make it more correct just because you like it more. It boils down to one set of writers stepping on the work of anothers.

Even though he didn't stay to finish, Remender's going back to the beginning and trying to untangle what went on at Mount Wundagore would probably be the best way to resolve it. IIRC in Remender's story the HE strongly hints that the Maximoffs are the true parents and the HE was using the children for tests. That would take both Magneto and the Franks out of the equation.

Mighty Member

I am of two minds about it.

On the one hand, I never liked the stupid back-write about Magneto being Pietro's and Wanda's father. But, it had been around for so long (over 25 years) that it had become something that was what it was. (I would say the same about Byrne's stupid backwrite about the Vision not being the Human Torch. It was dumb. But, Busiek's fan-grade fix made things stupider.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

But since Magneto being the father was a retcon in the first place it already establishes the precedent that their parentage is pretty messy.

Face it guys, the other story happened first....Bob and Madeline Frank go to Mount Wundagore and the children are born. Madeline dies in childbirth and Bob is overcome by grief and rushes out. Pietro at least gets his speed powers from him. Almost ten years later, a story has to be written to place Magneto's wife Anya there at Wundagore at the same time and also about to deliver. Now that was contrived IMO. But I guess it depends on when you started reading Marvel. If you started reading after the Magneto retcon took place than you are more likely to accept that as canon even though the other story came much earlier. It doesn't make it more correct just because you like it more. It boils down to one set of writers stepping on the work of anothers.

Even though he didn't stay to finish, Remender's going back to the beginning and trying to untangle what went on at Mount Wundagore would probably be the best way to resolve it. IIRC in Remender's story the HE strongly hints that the Maximoffs are the true parents and the HE was using the children for tests. That would take both Magneto and the Franks out of the equation.
    Or you got into comics after watching multiple X-Men cartoons where Magneto as the father of Pietro and Wanda was established and was generally a pretty big part of their characters.

Or you got into comics in 1964 where Quicksilver's and Scarlet Witch's status as mutants was established and formed a principal part of their characters for the next 50 years (one aborted storyline in the Avengers aside, to pre-empt another posting of that panel from Avengers 30)

Next stop in Marvel retcons - the Fantastic Four no longer gained their power through cosmic rays, but because Maximus, as an amusing prank, detonated a Terrigen grenade in their spaceship.
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 08-29-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I absolutely loathe and despise the retcon and it is one of the top reasons I generally have a negative attitude towards Marvel these days.

And let's not pretend the twins' age and Magneto's age has anything to do with the retcon. It has everything to do with movie rights and synergy. Why do you think Squirrel Girl isn't a mutant now!
    This retcon was not Rick Remender's idea. It was ordered upon him by people higher up the ladder. He didn't give a single interview in defense of this story, and he left Marvel soon after its completion. His departure may have been influenced by this forced change.

You continue to move the goal post. Take Magneto out of the equation. You still have to deal with Django Maximoff, Cthon, and the High Evolutionary. the twins were introduced as mutants in an Xmen comic. They didn't just take Magneto out of the DNA pool. They took away their long cemented identities. Would you be cool with Doom being a changeling? It would explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    You continue to move the goal post. Take Magneto out of the equation. You still have to deal with Django Maximoff, Cthon, and the High Evolutionary. the twins were introduced as mutants in an Xmen comic. They didn't just take Magneto out of the DNA pool. They took away their long cemented identities. Would you be cool with Doom being a changeling? It would explain a lot.
    As noted earlier, even Stan was fooling around with the idea that they weren't mutants.

As for Doom, it depends on how it's done. There's some wiggle room there since his mother was dabbling in the dark arts.

I can't take someone's opinion about the parentage retcon seriously when they don't even have Magneto's wife's name correct.

Anya was his firstborn daughter. Magda was his wife.

The twins were mutants for the majority of their existence. Quicksilver especially had a lot of important character arcs for himself as part of his identity as a mutant and Magneto's son. I loved the dysfunctional family dynamic especially between Pietro and half sister Lorna. Now that's all tossed out because of a mandate by editorial.

In the vast majority of continuities, they were Magneto's kids. No amount of story twisting and hoop jumping is going to make me accept otherwise.