View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I can't take someone's opinion about the parentage retcon seriously when they don't even have Magneto's wife's name correct.

Anya was his firstborn daughter. Magda was his wife.
    Mea culpa. I was never a big fan of Magneto anyway. I care more about Wanda and Pietro and never liked them being linked to him.

The twins were mutants for the majority of their existence. Quicksilver especially had a lot of important character arcs for himself as part of his identity as a mutant and Magneto's son. I loved the dysfunctional family dynamic especially between Pietro and half sister Lorna. Now that's all tossed out because of a mandate by editorial.

In the vast majority of continuities, they were Magneto's kids. No amount of story twisting and hoop jumping is going to make me accept otherwise.
    There's no story twisting in saying the Magneto story retcons an earlier canon on their parentage.

What I meant by the story twisting is the explanations Remender gave and the continuing retcons Robinson has been introducing. It's a fact that the Magneto reveal was a retcon on earlier explanations. No argument here on that.

However there are good retcons and bad retcons. In my opinion this particular retcon is one of the worst.

What I meant by the story twisting is the explanations Remender gave and the continuing retcons Robinson has been introducing. It's a fact that the Magneto reveal was a retcon on earlier explanations. No argument here on that.

However there are good retcons and bad retcons. In my opinion this particular retcon is one of the worst.
    Especially when that retcon opens up even more plotholes, and can't easily explained away by half butt writing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Mea culpa. I was never a big fan of Magneto anyway. I care more about Wanda and Pietro and never liked them being linked to him.

There's no story twisting in saying the Magneto story retcons an earlier canon on their parentage.
    Hilarious since they wouldnt have been in 3/4 of their media appearances without that such connection.

You see, people used to always cry and whine about Unthinkable but it was a great set up to see Doom choose pettiness, greed, and revenge over happiness and protecting a childhood love. Some great Doom one liners were in that storyline. But it stood out and of course they had Strange save the day after everyone was beaten.
    Last edited by JasonEsta; 08-29-2016 at 11:28 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Yeah, I was gonna say, isn't that the story where Magneto is de-aged to baby status and then grows back? That bit of witchery alone pretty much eliminates any need to explain how he can be so relatively young today. I think they did a similar thing with the JSA to explain why they aren't all, well, basically deceased at this point.
    This topic on Magneto's look is never ending. He was aged back to his prime...thanks to the comic timeline, he should be from 36-39 yrs old these days. Very simple. Black and white canon. Writers not knowing continuity is a sad thing. He look like a fit bodybuilder in Fatal Attractions and Magneto War. Get it together.

I have to disagree. With the birth taking place on Mount Wundagore in both versions then the High Evolutionary becomes a likely suspect in having a hand in things. What would realllly be wacky is if we found out that Magda gave birth to one child and Madeline the other and he took both away for experimentation. You have another odd coincidence that both Magda and Madeline dying shortly after childbirth. How many eye witnesses do we have of that? Bova tells Bob Frank about Madeline but doesn't Magda just wander off after giving birth?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Hilarious since they wouldnt have been in 3/4 of their media appearances without that such connection.
    Note that the topic of the thread is do you LIKE that Magneto is no longer their father so I am allowed that opinion am I not?

You see, people used to always cry and whine about Unthinkable but it was a great set up to see Doom choose pettiness, greed, and revenge over happiness and protecting a childhood love. Some great Doom one liners were in that storyline. But it stood out and of course they had Strange save the day after everyone was beaten.
    And this is relevant how?

I never cared for these two outside of X-men: Evolution so no big deal
    The J-man

BANNED

Note that the topic of the thread is do you LIKE that Magneto is no longer their father so I am allowed that opinion am I not?

And this is relevant how?
    I dont know..how is whining about earlier retcons meaningful in any abstract way? All media see Wanda and Pietro as Magneto's children..they wouldnt have the fanbase they have if not for that part of their history. Half of Pietro's storylines revolve around being a undserving heir to Magneto. And how many times as Wanda used Magneto as her father as an excuse for how hard she has had it? Lol. Get real.

U can like what u like but when u whine about what others like, it looks silly.

Extraordinary Member

I dont know..how is whining about earlier retcons meaningful in any abstract way? All media see Wanda and Pietro as Magneto's children..they wouldnt have the fanbase they have if not for that part of their history. Half of Pietro's storylines revolve around being a undserving heir to Magneto. And how many times as Wanda used Magneto as her father as an excuse for how hard she has had it? Lol. Get real.

I don't think it's whining about what others like. After all, this isn't a "I hate that Magneto is no longer their father" thread. Some people actually do like it, or at least thought it might work out.

It's true that a lot of people know them as Magneto's children because they constantly appeared as Magneto's children in animated cartoons and alternate universes. But on the other hand Scarlet Witch was a more popular character in the comics in the 1970s than she was after she was retconned into being Magneto's daughter (which explains why a '70s kid like Joss Whedon was determined to have her and Vision in an Avengers movie). I don't think that retcon caused her to be less popular, at least in the short run, but I certainly don't think it added many good stories to her character. Quicksilver got more to do because of it.

Wanda's popularity suffered because of how she had been used for the past decade plus. Avengers Disassembled made her character practically unusable, and House of M made things worse.

I haven't been "whining". I was pointing out the fact that the Magneto connection itself was a retcon. I guess some don't want to accept Magneto comes into the picture much later. So that was about 20 years when he had no family connection at all. So it all depends on the era that you started reading comics.

To me it was silly in HoM to have her "whining" and calling Magneto "Daddy" when he was never a part of her childhood. She says that he "ruined" them when again, he had no part in raising them. They were in the Brotherhood only a short time and for far longer she was part of the Avengers. Any "damages" he may have done one would think would have been addressed by her becoming accepted and respected in that group. That's when my dislike for the Magneto retcon really kicked in.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-29-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

You can argue all you want but just look at the poll results to see what the overwhelming majority think of what was done.

I haven't been "whining". I was pointing out the fact that the Magneto connection itself was a retcon. I guess some don't want to accept Magneto comes into the picture much later. So that was about 20 years when he had no family connection at all. So it all depends on the era that you started reading comics.
    what's to accept? it happened. but the point of a retcon is to replace what came before. the Magneto that exists today is Claremont's Magneto. so it's somewhat pointless to mention anything that became before it. Magneto played an integral role in their lives, regardless. some might say that Pietro and Wanda became costumed heroes in reaction to his tutelage (they were making up for past terrorist acts). making him their dad just made it more personal. you might not have followed the character very closely. but they've continued to add on to that original retcon. they've shown that Magneto was actively looking for the twins; that he suspected their identities when they met. they've shown that Magda showing up in Transia wasn't accidental (and she and Magneto were already in Europe). she was lured there because of Wanda's potential to wield magic. she was also going somewhere Magneto wouldn't think to look for her.

personally, I don't care that they are no longer related. like you said, he hadn't been for a long time; prior to Claremont. but I also can't pretend that they haven't made a bigger mess of the situation. a better story should have come out of it. and I'm waiting on that better story. there was stuff to be mined from Wanda and Pietro being "gypsies." one might say that Doom's interest in Wanda stemmed from him having so many similarities to his mother. it would explain Django coming to look for them. in the books of magic crossover, they expanded on that story of Wanda and Pietro's time with the Maximoffs. has that gone away now? if they eliminate Magneto as the father, they should at least preserve the Maximoff connection.

To me it was silly in HoM to have her "whining" and calling Magneto "Daddy" when he was never a part of her childhood.
    yes, that was extremely silly. but Wanda was also extremely nuts. she hit a bit of a personal regression. her focus on an imaginary father figure was as "realistic" as the reappearance of her children. the only way to explain Magneto's sudden appearance in Disassembled is to accept that Wanda requested him (magically).

She says that he "ruined" them when again, he had no part in raising them. They were in the Brotherhood only a short time and for far longer she was part of the Avengers. Any "damages" he may have done one would think would have been addressed by her becoming accepted and respected in that group. That's when my dislike for the Magneto retcon really kicked in.
    so it has nothing to do with the back and forth pissing contest between Byrne and Claremont. that's good to know.

Wanda's popularity suffered because of how she had been used for the past decade plus. Avengers Disassembled made her character practically unusable, and House of M made things worse.
    the good news is that it distracted people from Quicksilver's downward spiral. everyone forgets that it's Pietro who caused House of M; in reaction to the Avengers and X-Men contemplating Wanda's fate. he also created havoc by stealing the Terrigen Crystals from the Inhumans.