View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

sheesh, I don't think Maury used eyebrows for paternity tests. But hair color is the reason Byrne gave for putting the idea out there that Magneto is Pietro and Wanda's father. Prior to that Savage Land story drawn by Neal Adams, no one had seen Magneto without his helmet (except in the expanded retconned version of Magneto where he and Charles knew each other in Israel that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    sheesh, I don't think Maury used eyebrows for paternity tests. But hair color is the reason Byrne gave for putting the idea out there that Magneto is Pietro and Wanda's father. Prior to that Savage Land story drawn by Neal Adams, no one had seen Magneto without his helmet (except in the expanded retconned version of Magneto where he and Charles knew each other in Israel that is)
    when was that? all I remember is Wanda noting the facial similarity of Pietro to Magneto; after Magneto noted the similarity between Wanda and Magda.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 08-30-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    when was that? all I remember is Wanda noting the facial similarity of Pietro to Magneto; after Magneto noted the similarity between Wanda and Magda.
    It was X-Men 62, where Angel didn't recognize Magneto with his hat off.

Adams seemed to deliberately draw Magneto's hair like Quicksilver's; I don't know if he was actually hinting at a connection or if he just thought it was a fun hairstyle, but that's what Byrne picked up on.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It was X-Men 62, where Angel didn't recognize Magneto with his hat off.

Adams seemed to deliberately draw Magneto's hair like Quicksilver's; I don't know if he was actually hinting at a connection or if he just thought it was a fun hairstyle, but that's what Byrne picked up on.

]
    is that how Byrne thinks paternity works? wow, I gave him too much credit.

No, what I'm referring to is that Byrne confessed he got the idea to make Magneto their father because of the reveal of Magneto's face, done by Neal Adams. Scroll to the bottom of this forum page.

Ah, I see gurkle posted the image. Byrne's reply to the post about the reveal says "it almost certainly was my starting point"

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

I just had a thought, if Wanda & Pietro aren't Magneto's kid what happened to them? We know Magda left pregnant, does Magneto have a kid/kids out there that he doesn't know about?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent of Wolfram & Hart View Post
    I just had a thought, if Wanda & Pietro aren't Magneto's kid what happened to them? We know Magda left pregnant, does Magneto have a kid/kids out there that he doesn't know about?
    I'm guessing that they froze to death. the jury's still out. I still think that High Evolutionary harvested their DNA to create the twins.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Even before QS and SW were revealed to be Mag's kids, the was an effort by the artist and the writers, which has continued till today, to draw Pietro and Erik with similar faces and hair styles.

Last edited by Doctor Know; 08-31-2016 at 04:58 AM.

omg, Xorn is the father!

omg, Xorn is the father!
    Ah yes. The other retcon Marvel imposed on Magneto when they didn't like the direction for the character.

Haha. When in doubt, Marvel will always retcon things till things are the way they like them to be.

Except all those images you posted are long after the Magneto retcon of being their father. Or was that deliberate? gurkle posted one of the few panels where Magneto wasn't wearing his helmet. Roy Thomas scripted that issue and he's the one that wrote the story with Bob and Madeline Frank being the parents of Wanda and Pietro.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-30-2016 at 06:53 PM.

I don't recognize x-stories that happen prior to 1975. I'm extremely thankful that the Franks aren't their parents. they were an extremely boring couple. i'll wait and see who they choose for their actual parents. i'll support whatever is the better story.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Except all those images you posted are long after the Magneto retcon of being their father. Or was that deliberate? gurkle posted one of the few panels where Magneto wasn't wearing his helmet. Roy Thomas scripted that issue and he's the one that wrote the story with Bob and Madeline Frank being the parents of Wanda and Pietro.
    No, it was deliberate. I could find the scans from the old X-Men, Avengers and later Scarlet Witch and Vision issues that seeded the Magento reveal, but I chose not to. Biggest thing for me was highlighting how QS has been portrayed similar to Mags and viewed as the unworthy son to his father.

It has not added anything significant to their characters at all, only detracted from their overall place in the MU. Like was previously said, having Wanda and Pietro not be mutants at all it takes away the tragedy of No More Mutants. Wanda was really character assassinated and has never really recovered from that. Taking away the twins' status as mutants doesn't give them anything interesting in return. So for their entire almost 60 year existence they were tricked into believing that they were mutants and every in-universe contraption verified that - but now thanks to a stupid retcon by the High Evolutionary they are no longer mutants but sort of genetically modified instead. Lame.

But even worse is taking away their parentage. Not having Magneto as their father leaves them pretty pitiful. Now how are we supposed to view House of M, Son of M, and the myriad of other stories that took place with the family dynamic at the center. Not to mention the rich and complex relationships with Lorna, Luna and Rogue that happened because of the interactions. It feels hollow and a complete let down.

Further, no one ever talks about it. No other character mentions their now non-mutant status or what their new power source means. That is the most frustrating for me. We have them in two prominent books (Uncanny Avengers for Pietro and Scarlet Witch's solo) and their isn't any real, substantial reaction at all. At least Scarlet Witch's solo is exploring her mother. But I can see this whole thing as another attempt to confuse and manipulate the twins whenever Marvel gets tired of their new status.

I still contend (and believe) that they are Magneto's kids and that they are mutants still. This is just another wish fulfillment/reality manipulation by Wanda to change their circumstances and give them something better. When Marvel is ready to place nice with the mutants again, somehow a story will appear negating the stupid High Evolutionary retcon and confirm Magneto as their father.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    I'm not too bothered by the retcon that Magneto is no longer the father. I am irritated by the retcon that they are no longer mutants, a status that they held from their very first appearance back in the 60s, as that's transparently motivated by IP rights.
    Yeah, and sheesh, Cerebro must be a hunk of junk if it thought they were mutants. Oh, and if they are not mutants, why did she and Quicksilver lose their powers when she said, "No more mutants"?

Sandy Hausler