View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

I'm kind of glad they aren't related to Magneto anymore. The sliding timeline alone means that there shouldn't be blood relations with Holocaust survivors at this point. Magneto has been deaged and reborn a time or two to legitimately keep that tie in his backstory... but that didn't happen till after they would have had to be born, and the math doesn't work much anymore.

As for not being mutants? That I think is pretty dumb for most of the established reasons like Cerebro... However, Scarlet Witch's powers... are just so weird that I never really bought them as being 'mutant' anyway. Half the time she wants to be mutant... half the time trained sorceress... Combining them is just kind of ugly... She's really just an all around mess and I have never been a fan of her. I'm generally a believer that if a writer doesn't know a characer's powers... they shouldn't write the character. And SW has been a victim of that a LOT in her career.

Quicksilver? Never liked him either... too much of a jerk, but Marvel doesn't do much with Speedsters, so I like him around. He fills a niche, and his powers are pretty simplistic, so he really SHOULD still be a mutant. Or have some other legitimate way they both have such different powers....

But yeah, the Magneto thing wasn't a good fit to begin with, and as time goes on, it's harder to buy. It's like Sharon Carter being Peggy Carter's sister... doesn't work anymore needed a retcon. Great niece? That works a bit better.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

So wait, if they're not mutants that makes Beast the first mutant Avenger right? And he was the only one for a long while, up until Justice & Firestar joined in the 90s

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm kind of glad they aren't related to Magneto anymore. The sliding timeline alone means that there shouldn't be blood relations with Holocaust survivors at this point. Magneto has been deaged and reborn a time or two to legitimately keep that tie in his backstory... but that didn't happen till after they would have had to be born, and the math doesn't work much anymore.

As for not being mutants? That I think is pretty dumb for most of the established reasons like Cerebro... However, Scarlet Witch's powers... are just so weird that I never really bought them as being 'mutant' anyway. Half the time she wants to be mutant... half the time trained sorceress... Combining them is just kind of ugly... She's really just an all around mess and I have never been a fan of her. I'm generally a believer that if a writer doesn't know a characer's powers... they shouldn't write the character. And SW has been a victim of that a LOT in her career.

Quicksilver? Never liked him either... too much of a jerk, but Marvel doesn't do much with Speedsters, so I like him around. He fills a niche, and his powers are pretty simplistic, so he really SHOULD still be a mutant. Or have some other legitimate way they both have such different powers....

But yeah, the Magneto thing wasn't a good fit to begin with, and as time goes on, it's harder to buy. It's like Sharon Carter being Peggy Carter's sister... doesn't work anymore needed a retcon. Great niece? That works a bit better.
    Does anything in Marvel616 "work" for those characters there from early on if you take time-line seriously??

I'm intensely sceptical on that point. It's one reason why Ultimate line was a refreshing change of pace.

I know I'm in a minority but deep down I believe for adult level Marvel/ DC super hero stories it would be an improvement if universe re-booted completely every 10 to 20 years.

But if you don't totally re-boot...I'd do what it takes to keep Magneto as father to Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. It's arguably in top ten most important family relationships in Marvel...perhaps the most important of all on the villains side. And the voting shows I'm far from alone (for once) in thinking that...the voting margin is as wide as it gets on these sort of issues.

it does if you are well versed in Marvel canon. the twins were kept in stasis by the High Evolutionary. it's why they aren't old (while originally being the offspring of WWII heroes). same reason why Jessica Drew isn't elderly.

there's a recap, here...http://aboutcomics.blogwyrm.com/?p=285

the origin was always messy. the latest swerve has just made it messier. I would have supported a retcon that cleaned everything up. doesn't seem like there's a writer smart enough to do it.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 09-09-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent of Wolfram & Hart View Post
    So wait, if they're not mutants that makes Beast the first mutant Avenger right? And he was the only one for a long while, up until Justice & Firestar joined in the 90s
    Namor the Submariner is supposedly a mutant

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Sheesh, It's like the writers couldn't have made the birth of their children even more creepier if they tried.
    they could have had Immortus pop out of her stomach and the Avengers all treat it as normal.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    they could have had Immortus pop out of her stomach and the Avengers all treat it as normal.
    Don't give them any ideas So is Danielle Cage the only normal birth? But wasn't she kidnapped by a Skull during Secret Invasion? Or maybe she was a Skrull baby. She had those weird green eyes for a while. I guess Luna's doesn't have all that drama attached to it.

You mean they didn't?? Thank goodness...it was a just a vivid dream!

Just a feeble joke.

But here comes a complete tangent. Does anybody ever dream about super heroes?? (I have on two or three occasions...which given amount of thought I've wasted on subject over many years...is a pretty low count??)

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Don't give them any ideas So is Danielle Cage the only normal birth? But wasn't she kidnapped by a Skull during Secret Invasion? Or maybe she was a Skrull baby. She had those weird green eyes for a while. I guess Luna's doesn't have all that drama attached to it.
    Danielle's birth was just as boring as Jessica Jones. Luna's was fine until her father tried to douse her in the Terrigen mists and, later, made her a T-Mist junkie. if any good comes out of this latest retcon, it's that Magneto no longer has to claim Pietro.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    You mean they didn't?? Thank goodness...it was a just a vivid dream!
    I can't tell any more. pretty sure that Franklin Richards used his powers to make his mother pregnant, though.

BANNED

Doesn't that description kinda apply to Magik too?

it's all Claremont's doing. he's had some brilliant ideas. but, the longer you give him to work, the stranger his ideas become. that's why Storm is descended from sorceresses and a combination of all races. and sometimes I wish that the X-Men had never encountered the Shiar. I have no idea what outerspace has to do with mutants fighting to protect the people that fear/hate them.

BANNED

It works as easily as Captain America, Black Widow, and anyone else since they were frozen to explain their ages a lifetime ago. How dense does fans around here have to be to keep bringing that silly agrument up? In actuality, Magneto should physically just be about 5-7 years older than them..you know, if anyone ever read the damn comics.

Valeria was shown to be a old woman in FF 496..why is Doom so young? Why does Wolverine pine after Jean Grey even though he's 100 years older than her? Why does Exodus look late 20s even though he was born in the 12th century? Why is Bucky still looking like college frat boy? I mean...get real. Stop acting silly. Its comics...Peter Parker should be nearly 40 but he's not. All semantics.

Extraordinary Member

it's all Claremont's doing. he's had some brilliant ideas. but, the longer you give him to work, the stranger his ideas become. that's why Storm is descended from sorceresses and a combination of all races. and sometimes I wish that the X-Men had never encountered the Shiar. I have no idea what outerspace has to do with mutants fighting to protect the people that fear/hate them.
    Well, Star Wars was popular and Dave Cockrum liked drawing space characters and that's really all the reason they needed.

If characters only did things that were directly related to their premise, they'd run out of stories really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Well, Star Wars was popular and Dave Cockrum liked drawing space characters and that's really all the reason they needed.

If characters only did things that were directly related to their premise, they'd run out of stories really fast.
    I'd argue that those stories were a sign of someone running out of material.