View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

That sounds like a lot of denial and bitterness, which seems to permeate Polaris fandom. Again, if Lorna were enough by herself, wouldn’t fans and writers alike stop saying otherwise, or at least died down in a few weeks after Axis? If anything, it would seem Lorna is the one who most desperately needs Magneto, the twins, and the House of M concept most of all. Without it, I doubt she would even have been in Gifted, much less even the cameo she had in the original House of M comic. Of all of them, Magneto and Wanda are the one who can be viable characters by themselves, and even they are still seen as lesser without the rest of the family at their side.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    That sounds like a lot of denial and bitterness, which seems to permeate Polaris fandom. Again, if Lorna were enough by herself, wouldn’t fans and writers alike stop saying otherwise, or at least died down in a few weeks after Axis? If anything, it would seem Lorna is the one who most desperately needs Magneto, the twins, and the House of M concept most of all. Without it, I doubt she would even have been in Gifted, much less even the cameo she had in the original House of M comic. Of all of them, Magneto and Wanda are the one who can be viable characters by themselves, and even they are still seen as lesser without the rest of the family at their side.
    its not really bitterness as much as it is the truth, magneto has more meaningfull moments as a parental figure with polaris, kitty pryde and the new mutants on his tenure as a headmaster.
    that headcanon of the family is just what it is, a fan idea that is too popular but is based on nothing of actual value or canon, magneto has been terrible to the twins and the twins have their own stuff, the difrence the retcon made is meaningless to the current titles.

Magneto is fine, lorna's fine, she was used consistently since 2019 uncanny x-men and is on an ongoing, x-factor starting in a few months, unlike the twins who havent been in an ongoing... for how long?

and its not up to the x-office to give two avengers page tme

it just seems silly to clench so hard to the idea magneto is a sperm donor to two avengers.
    Last edited by Ferro; 02-22-2020 at 10:36 AM.

By that logic, Luke and Leia’s storyline would be much better if Darth Vader wasn’t their father, but Galen Marek is actually Vader’s real son all along! I’m sure if they remade the original Star Wars movies to reveal that, it would be a massive success!!!

I didn't read it as bitterness, but truth. A lot of the importance of HoM is fabricated. Only down to a mini and an event that barely used the characters and rewrote Wanda completely. She doesn't fit the princess role either. And they infantilized her for the meet up with Lorna. There were several years of comics during AD/HoM and after Wanda returned were she acted like she had been replaced with Lore.

So I have zero emotional attachment to all of that. And am glad they are pushing her more towards magic and supernatural stuff. It gets her away from the constant drama that changes her character completely.

And it's completely true that she didn't have much to do with Mags. It's a glorified relationship with no real substance. She got away from him very early on. Since then he'd only have a few appearances in her life. Mostly to try to manipulate her.

Most of the fans that want her anchored to him don't understand there's nothing there for her but abuse and pain.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

By that logic, Luke and Leia’s storyline would be much better if Darth Vader wasn’t their father, but Galen Marek should be! I’m sure if they remade the original Star Wars movies to reveal that, it would be a massive success!!!
    I don't remember Leia being treated like a cheap plot device for Darth Vader's man pain.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I didn't read it as bitterness, but truth. A lot of the importance of HoM is fabricated. Only down to a mini and an event that barely used the characters and rewrote Wanda completely. She doesn't fit the princess role either. And they infantilized her for the meet up with Lorna. There were several years of comics during AD/HoM and after Wanda returned were she acted like she had been replaced with Lore.

So I have zero emotional attachment to all of that. And am glad they are pushing her more towards magic and supernatural stuff. It gets her away from the constant drama that changes her character completely.

And it's completely true that she didn't have much to do with Mags. It's a glorified relationship with no real substance. She got away from him very early on. Since then he'd only have a few appearances in her life. Mostly to try to manipulate her.

Most of the fans that want her anchored to him don't understand there's nothing there for her but abuse and pain.
    instead of an empty sweet nothings that is the house of m, id rather have magneto and the new mutants reconect, continue his relantionship with lorna, bring back anya, stories with palpatable and organic canon, not popular fancanon that is all style, no substance/

I dont see the need either, to cling to such a toxic story line because a bunch of people that never read the books think its important
    Last edited by Ferro; 02-22-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    instead of an empty sweet nothings that is the house of m, id rather have magneto and the new mutants reconect, continue his relantionship with lorna, bring back anya.
    I dont see the need to cling to such a toxic story line because a bunch of people that never read the books think its important
    Exactly. Something of his own. Let Wanda have something of her own with people she actually had relationships with. Benefits the characters themselves.

It also kinda feels like some Polaris fans don’t want the twins restored to the House of M because they think they’ll overshadow her. Most like the potential all three have for interacting in stories, but a few seem eager to toss them out.
    A few would be the key word.

Last decade when the Avengers side of the franchise was controlling all the big family related events from Children's Crusade thru AvX thru Axis we know what that meant for Lorna. Does she even know about the Axis retcon? Who knows... that shows how much she was cut out of such things and has created some understandable if I would argue misplaced hostility. The desire should be to get things back to the way they were in the early '00s when I feel as though there was respect for the connection of all of them.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-22-2020 at 11:05 AM.

BANNED

nah the current situation is fine, just allow pietro as a mutant again since he florishes in that side, no need to reconect to magneto

I usually don't like retcons… so no.
    But the retcon of a retcon is still a retcon… Complicated.

People who thought they had connections shared an history, so it cannot really be erased, in my opinion…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post

I would prefer they shy away from the magic part. Magic characters don't really sell.

I wish her powers would go back to their 90's version of pocket reality changes. Way to much power has ruined what use to be one of my favorite Avengers.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I would prefer they shy away from the magic part. Magic characters don't really sell.

I wish her powers would go back to their 90's version of pocket reality changes. Way to much power has ruined what use to be one of my favorite Avengers.
    Its more like a dumb retcon, i think her chaos magic/spell casting is much better

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Except they already addressed that: the High Evolutionary put them in stasis for a few decades before defrosting them and adopting them out. Besides, one is a witch that regularly changes her hair and eye color at a whim, and the other is a speedster who only seems to age when he’s depressed or exhausted. I really don’t understand why the ‘older than they appear’ is allowed for Captain America but is suddenly controversial for Magneto and the twins.
    More like artists/colorist don't follow the model and this happens to many characters. Eye colors particularly. Sometimes Reed's eyes are brown, sometimes blue and that's just one prominent character. I'm sure you could find the same with Peter Parker.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

When considering these sorts of changes to characters, editorial and the writers should be asking a few questions:

Does it add more story possibilities than it takes away?
    Does it change past stories in such a way that it damages the character?
    Will it take something away from the character that a lot of fans like?

In my opinion, the answers on this retcon are No, Yes, and Yes.

These should have added up to scuttling the retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    A few would be the key word.

Last decade when the Avengers side of the franchise was controlling all the big family related events from Children's Crusade thru AvX thru Axis we know what that meant for Lorna. Does she even know about the Axis retcon? Who knows... that shows how much she was cut out of such things and has created some understandable if I would argue misplaced hostility. The desire should be to get things back to the way they were in the early '00s when I feel as though there was respect for the connection of all of them.
    I do have to remember that sort of fan is in the minority. It’s the sort who complain about Rachel appearing to be taller than Lorna in a single page of concept art, or begrudge Northstar his big break out, or insist the twins are irrelevant are way louder when they do speak up over the rest. The theee of them respected for what they bring to the table would be ideal. They shouldn’t have to be separated and distanced for decades just to have their individual characters explored.