View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Which is why I chose to ignore the Magneto retcon The orginal story of their birth shows only Madeline Frank being at Mount Wundagore where the twins were born. Later, they had to shoehorn Magda, a character created for the occassion, into being there at the same time and also about to give birth.
    Didn't the original story have Madeline (Miss America) dying in child birth and Bob Frank (The Whizzer) being so stricken with grief that he runs out the newborn twins? To add insult to injury Bob Frank dies at the end of the Avengers issue (i think it was a Giant Sized special). That's not a good way to treat either Pietro and Wanda or the Golden Age heroes. It's Padme Amidala levels of selfishness, with regards to Bob's actions. Just give birth to two babies but end up dying because she's lost the will to live without Anakin. WTF, mate.

Honestly, I felt tethering the Maximoff twins to Magneto made more sense for several reasons. 1. Magneto did rescue them as children right as their powers began to manifest, from the mob of villagers. 2. The history they had together. Twisted at times as it was, but then again, humanity has never been cool with mutant kind. Even when QS and SW joined the Avengers. 3. At the time Magneto was just a bigger deal (and still is) in the larger Marvel Universe compared to Miss America and the Whizzer.

I hate the retcon, it was pointless but can be easily undone in a number of ways

1) Wanda's spell to being with, it was designed to hurt her family but given she never considered Magneto as family, the many times she would say that she felt Django Maximoff was her dad and the fact she even hated Magneto calling her his daughter for example. Also Wanda isn't the world greatest Magic user, her knowledge is quite random at best and she was inverted. Also we never see if the spell affected Polaris, Wiccan or Speed

2) Whatever the Vision discovered during Counter Revolutionary, could easily state magento is their Dad and given Wanda had just gotten over the fact, he didn't want to ruin it.

3) Wanda's meets her Biological Mother in her own ongoing, however it's not Django Maximoff's wife and she mentions at the time she hadn't meet anyone yet. So she could have meet Magneto who was travelling around at the time looking for Magda

what bothers me is that they haven't, technically, replaced the origins of these characters. they aren't Magneto's kids. but we still don't know their parents. we have High Evolutionary's crazy claims and no confirmation. Magneto was still "with" Magda though, iirc. so I guess the question is whether Magda is still connected to the twins.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Didn't the original story have Madeline (Miss America) dying in child birth and Bob Frank (The Whizzer) being so stricken with grief that he runs out the newborn twins? To add insult to injury Bob Frank dies at the end of the Avengers issue (i think it was a Giant Sized special). That's not a good way to treat either Pietro and Wanda or the Golden Age heroes. It's Padme Amidala levels of selfishness, with regards to Bob's actions. Just give birth to two babies but end up dying because she's lost the will to live without Anakin. WTF, mate.
    Brian Cronin had a recent column about it when the Uncanny Avengers issue came out in 2014. Madeline dies a few days after the children are born and Bob was overcome iwth grief and left the children there. He came back later to claim them but they were gone. So you always had this gap in time when they were either hidden away by the HE or he had given them over to the Maximoffs to be raised. Since their birth was already established to be at Wundagore mountain, Magda had to be invented and be pregnant and in the same trimester as Madeline and be at Wundagore at the same time. A few too many coinky dinks for me. Notice in the panels shown that a change is made in the second story to say that Madeline died giving birth..."a few moments later" as is said. In Bob's story, she died several days later so one assumes that they both saw the twins since Bova says she gave them their names.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Honestly, I felt tethering the Maximoff twins to Magneto made more sense for several reasons. 1. Magneto did rescue them as children right as their powers began to manifest, from the mob of villagers. 2. The history they had together. Twisted at times as it was, but then again, humanity has never been cool with mutant kind. Even when QS and SW joined the Avengers. 3. At the time Magneto was just a bigger deal (and still is) in the larger Marvel Universe compared to Miss America and the Whizzer.
    But even Stan had planted the seeds of doubt about Pietro and Wanda being mutants back in the time he was writing the Kooky Quartet Avengers. Their powers were sometimes inconsistent, etc. and they do get linked to the High Evolutionary around this time. So it becomes less crucial to link them to another mutant like Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I don't like this retcon considering it had become so deeply rooted into their history that even every adaption short of the MCU has used Magneto as the parent and it just reeks so transparently of politics. On top of that, it annoys me that just as PAD was developing the sibling relationship of Pietro and Wanda with Lorna, Marvel decides to retcon that away as well. To top it off, that awful Uncanny Avengers arc that followed it didn't help matters at all.
    Everybody's familial relationship with Magneto was retcon. Before Magneto, their parents were The Whizzer and Miss America (which I really liked) and before that, they were the children of a Roma couple (which, I guess, is canon again). And it had been established from Lorna's first appearance that she was NOT the daughter of Magneto (though the robot Magneto claimed otherwise). So it doesn't bother me that he's childless again. Not the kind of guy who you'd want as a father.

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    what bothers me is that they haven't, technically, replaced the origins of these characters. they aren't Magneto's kids. but we still don't know their parents. we have High Evolutionary's crazy claims and no confirmation. Magneto was still "with" Magda though, iirc. so I guess the question is whether Magda is still connected to the twins.
    From the descripton of the man Magda was feared it could just as easily been Victor von Doom In fact I think these days he has more children than Mags.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

From the descripton of the man Magda was feared it could just as easily been Victor von Doom In fact I think these days he has more children than Mags.
    Only Caroline LeFey and Kristoff, right? That would one-up him on Our Lord Magneto, until he claims Zaladane... and Carter Gasketkhanian (sp).

'Course, not counting the multitudes of unknown bastards across Latveria.

And I still think Alexander Flynn was correct in his assumption. Methinks Doom protested too much.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

No it really has not added much to the characters and now negates some really thought out and well written stories.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Only Caroline LeFey and Kristoff, right? That would one-up him on Our Lord Magneto, until he claims Zaladane... and Carter Gasketkhanian (sp).

'Course, not counting the multitudes of unknown bastards across Latveria.

And I still think Alexander Flynn was correct in his assumption. Methinks Doom protested too much.
    LOL. No I doubt there are many with the bar sinister of his in Latveria since he was in Tibet for a number of years, then in the U.S before that. I think Alexander Flynn had a very strange history after the Beauty and the Beast mini series and turned out to be hologram in a later story. You also have to remember that John Byrne was writing the FF at that time IIRC had his editor nix the idea that they were related.

I don't know if Doom knows about Caroline since IIRC Morgan Le Fey went back to her timeline and gave birth to her in the past. It's weird that she is older than she is. Then there was SW Franklin and Val who it is implied that they are his offspring by the royal consort Sue from a different Earth.

and like w/ Magneto, they tend to run away from him. weird.

Find it to be dumb and insulting..

Do the people who are in favour of this retcon feel anything is added to characters now that they aren't related to Magneto?

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    Do the people who are in favour of this retcon feel anything is added to characters now that they aren't related to Magneto?
    well it resulted in Wanda getting a solo and exploring her magic roots. Pietro is attempting to date again. Magneto's still rocking and rolling. so not much has changed for him. I just wish they'd reveal their origins so it'd stop being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    well it resulted in Wanda getting a solo and exploring her magic roots. Pietro is attempting to date again. Magneto's still rocking and rolling. so not much has changed for him. I just wish they'd reveal their origins so it'd stop being an issue.
    I'd be shocked if they (marvel) have anyone really go into the issue for a while, next time it's will be brought up/made big deal is when its become financially prudent to make them his kids again or when/if a top marvel writer wants to doing with their origins, who has enuff power/plug get the ok from marvel to do do....

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    I'd be shocked if they (marvel) have anyone really go into the issue for a while, next time it's will be brought up/made big deal is when its become financially prudent to make them his kids again or when/if a top marvel writer wants to doing with their origins, who has enuff power/plug get the ok from marvel to do do....
    maybe they are Xorn's kids.