View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    maybe they are Xorn's kids.
    Lol......

well it resulted in Wanda getting a solo and exploring her magic roots. Pietro is attempting to date again. Magneto's still rocking and rolling. so not much has changed for him. I just wish they'd reveal their origins so it'd stop being an issue.
    Couldn't Wanda have gotten a solo and Pietro start dating again when they were Magneto's kids? I don't see the connection between the retcon and what you've said.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    Couldn't Wanda have gotten a solo and Pietro start dating again when they were Magneto's kids? I don't see the connection between the retcon and what you've said.
    her encounter with the High Evolutionary led to her wanting to leave the Avengers for awhile. Pietro cited no longer having the burden of being Magneto's kid for his improved mood in Uncanny Avengers. him dating is part of exploring a new phase of his life. the connection should be obvious. writers used the 'we're not mutants' story to take the characters in different directions. could Wanda have gotten a solo? could Pietro have started dating? as long as we're throwing out hypotheticals, why didn't Wanda already have a solo book? why wasn't Pietro carefree and dating?

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

No. I am not a fan of the retcon. I mean, I've never liked Scarlet Witch but her being Magneto's daughter definitely made me care about her plight a lot more. It meant that the twins would always kind of be the poster children of mutant self hatred and forcible assimilation. Their history in relation to Erik is just so rich in a grander sense.

Hopefully they just promote Phantazia and Lorna as his new dueling offspring that he tries to manipulate.

And yes.... Phantazia has long been rumored to be one of Mag's baybay's. The drama between her and Polaris would be refreshing for all characters involved.

her encounter with the High Evolutionary led to her wanting to leave the Avengers for awhile. Pietro cited no longer having the burden of being Magneto's kid for his improved mood in Uncanny Avengers. him dating is part of exploring a new phase of his life. the connection should be obvious. writers used the 'we're not mutants' story to take the characters in different directions. could Wanda have gotten a solo? could Pietro have started dating? as long as we're throwing out hypotheticals, why didn't Wanda already have a solo book? why wasn't Pietro carefree and dating?
    Honestly there was absolutely nothing about being Magneto's daughter that was stopping anyone from exploring Wanda's magical roots. And for Pietro, I find that makes him look pretty petty considering that he really rarely even had anything to do with Magneto yet somehow acts as if Magneto is the fault of everything wrong in his life.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    No. I am not a fan of the retcon. I mean, I've never liked Scarlet Witch but her being Magneto's daughter definitely made me care about her plight a lot more. It meant that the twins would always kind of be the poster children of mutant self hatred and forcible assimilation. Their history in relation to Erik is just so rich in a grander sense.
    Magneto was a self-hating mutant?

Oh...you mean that silly Bendis retcon?

Wanda was always a proud mutant before Bendis, even being an openly mutant...erm...mutant on a super-hero team while the X-Men hid in a mansion. Plus that marriage that was very analogous to interracial marriage...

I don't think that Scarlet Witch not having a solo book was because something of plot, it was more business or maybe it just needed a writer that wanted to tell a story.
    And Quicksilver's excuse of not dating because of being Magneto's son is hilarious. He should have had other reasons (like why his marriage with Crystal ended '-_- )

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    I hate the retcon, it was pointless but can be easily undone in a number of ways

1) Wanda's spell to being with, it was designed to hurt her family but given she never considered Magneto as family, the many times she would say that she felt Django Maximoff was her dad and the fact she even hated Magneto calling her his daughter for example. Also Wanda isn't the world greatest Magic user, her knowledge is quite random at best and she was inverted. Also we never see if the spell affected Polaris, Wiccan or Speed
    To me, since Wanda has the power to alter reality, she has her own self-contained retcon. It could be they were Magneto's kids but now they've never been because reality was altered. While I hate the retcon, I take comfort that it's probably the easiest thing to retcon back.

All that being said, I do think some of the posters have correctly pointed out that the Maximoff twins had kind of been written into a corner with their relationship with Magneto. But it wasn't the fact that they were his children, it was just simply bad writing that ended up using the same story over and over again as the center of Avenger vs. X-Men stories. The retcon didn't require this, but it at least forced the writers out of their box.

Incredible Member

Given that I became a fan of Quicksilver through Magneto, I am completely against the retcon. My initial encounter with Quicksilver was in Magneto Rex, and I loved the juxtaposition of Magneto and Quicksilver in the story: they both cared about mutant persecution but Pietro saw his father as ruthless and being as bad as the human oppressors while Magneto saw his son as weak (to paraphrase). I've always loved the dynamic between Magneto and Quicksilver, because to some degree they needed each other (like in Magneto Rex and House of M) and yet they hated each other. It was interesting....or rather it could have been interesting if writers didn't recycle the same plot points over and over again.
    Also, like others have mentioned, I would have liked to see Pietro and Wanda develop a relationship with Lorna. On the whole, being related to Magneto is a more relatable and interesting scenario than being scientific experiments.
    But the thing that annoys me even more than the Magneto retcon is the fact that Pietro and Wanda aren't mutants. It's like saying that Steve Rogers was never frozen in a slab of ice since WWII, but is just some amnesiac dude who thinks he was born in the 1940s. The fact that Marvel decided to do away with that VERY IMPORTANT aspect of their character tells me they have no respect for the fans of these characters. Either that, or they don't think we exist.
    At this point, i'm just looking forward to the day that Marvel kills Pietro because of movie synergy. I'm not happy with what they're doing with Pietro now (him being a womanizer), and I'm pretty sure his portrayal will only get worse.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think the retcon was a good idea, but it turned out even worse than it might have been because Remender left Marvel right after the retcon took place. He was ordered to do it, but he might have had some plans for how it would affect the twins and Magneto. Instead... nothin'. Nobody has done a thing with it and the twins' origins still have not been cleared up, and probably never really will be - because even if they give them a clear origin story, who would believe it any more? At least the Magneto retcon lasted an impressive amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverfan View Post
    But the thing that annoys me even more than the Magneto retcon is the fact that Pietro and Wanda aren't mutants. It's like saying that Steve Rogers was never frozen in a slab of ice since WWII, but is just some amnesiac dude who thinks he was born in the 1940s.
    Yes, this is the worst part of the whole thing. If you really took this retcon literally and declared them non-mutants, then the Avengers didn't have a mutant member until the Beast and a lot of Marvel history is different. But of course we all know that the retcon is meaningless: they read as mutants on every mutant-detecting device, everyone considered them mutants in every possible way, so what does it even matter if they're real or "artificial" mutants?

Plus they're still not promoting Scarlet Witch or Quicksilver in games, merchandise, etc., presumably due to their being shared characters - so declaring them non-mutants doesn't even help Marvel particularly. It just seems to have been done out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post

Hopefully they just promote Phantazia and Lorna as his new dueling offspring that he tries to manipulate.

And yes.... Phantazia has long been rumored to be one of Mag's baybay's. The drama between her and Polaris would be refreshing for all characters involved.
    I thought that I was the only one who believed Eileen to be one of his offspring. she even kind of looks like Lorna. and he did single her out to come to Avalon; over Mortimer and Frederick.
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 05-23-2016 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Facundo Merello View Post
    I don't think that Scarlet Witch not having a solo book was because something of plot, it was more business or maybe it just needed a writer that wanted to tell a story.
    And Quicksilver's excuse of not dating because of being Magneto's son is hilarious. He should have had other reasons (like why his marriage with Crystal ended '-_- )
    well the retcon explains why Pietro survived his terrigen mist addiction. it was killing everyone else that he exposed.

anyways, let me posit another theory. Magneto, technically, isn't the father of the twins? why? because Magneto is Wanda's creation. stay with me, here. The Magneto that showed up to "rescue" Wanda during Disassembled/hung out with Xavier in the Excalibur series was a magical creation; a failsafe. the real Magneto, who had been their father, died in the Genoshan sentinel attack. this would also explain why Vision would withhold the truth from Wanda.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Terrigen was only killing those whose powers were going out of control to kill them, like Unus.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I'll be the first to say their familial relationship means nothing to me and never has.

However, I hate the fact Marvel feels the need to erase decades on continuity in order to be in line with the movies, and it would be hypocritical of me to be okay with it seeing how I'm against perpetuating that in any way, shape or form to begin with, with any character.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I have to laugh about those who are all hurt about Quicksilver and Wanda perhaps not being true mutants when Stan was the one that planted that years ago in their Avengers appearances.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-24-2016 at 06:57 AM.