View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

The Parents of Wanda and Pietro Maximoff:
    1. Django and Marya Maximoff
    2. The Whizzer and Miss America
    3. Magneto and Magda
    4. Natalya Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch of a previous generation, and an unrevealed father. (Scarlet Witch #4)

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I have to laugh about those who are all hurt about Quicksilver and Wanda perhaps not being true mutants when Stan was the one that planted that years ago in their Avengers appearances.

For me personally, it's moreso the underlying reason Marvel did the retcon as opposed to the validity of their geneology. Yes, there are instances in their history one could use as proof that Magneto isn't their father, but was that the reason for the change? I highly doubt it. It's painfully obvious that it was an order given by one of the higher ups, most likely Perlmutter, because of the complications regarding the movie rights.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    For me personally, it's moreso the underlying reason Marvel did the retcon as opposed to the validity of their geneology. Yes, there are instances in their history one could use as proof that Magneto isn't their father, but was that the reason for the change? I highly doubt it. It's painfully obvious that it was an order given by one of the higher ups, most likely Perlmutter, because of the complications regarding the movie rights.
    But for me it worked out well. Most of the X Forums hate her anyway and want her dead. I'm glad she is able to be in the MCU. I wish we could have kept that version of Quicksilver as well. I'm not as fond of Fox's junk food eating kiddie Quicksilver...and he's American. Marvel Studios made both Wanda and Pietro Eastern European and I liked their tie in to Sokovia.

Another I loathed in HoM was how Wanda was calling Magneto "Daddy" etc. they never even knew him to have a paternal relationship of any kind. Certainly not one where she would use the affectionate term for a father like "Daddy".
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-24-2016 at 07:18 AM.

That seems logical at first - but when you think about it, it doesn't actually change anything rights-wise - the deals are the deals, and in the Fox-verse they are still Mag's kids, and they're still mutants. It doesn't change things money-wise in any substantial way, as far as I can see.

So, with that in mind, I'm actually not so sure it's just a demand from Ike.

ON the other hand.. Ike Perlmutter seems to be an irrational sociopathic mad-man! So with that in mind, I suppose it's quite possible you're right...

...I'l never understand it though.

But for me it worked out well. Most of the X Forums hate her anyway and want her dead. I'm glad she is able to be in the MCU. I wish we could have kept that version of Quicksilver as well. I'm not as fond of Fox's junk food eating kiddie Quicksilver...and he's American. Marvel Studios made both Wanda and Pietro Eastern European and I liked their tie in to Sokovia.

Another I loathed in HoM was how Wanda was calling Magneto "Daddy" etc. they never even knew him to have a paternal relationship of any kind. Certainly not one where she would use the affectionate term for a father like "Daddy".
    I dug Fox's QS personally lol, more entertaining, and more in tune with his characterisation despite being younger. I'd definitely expect a teenage Quicksilver to be quick witted and arrogant. Though them being mutants was never a HUGE point of focus all things considered, so I could see how the MCU made it work without Magneto. I just don't quite vibe with the reasoning to change it in the comics. One day it's Wanda and Pietro getting retconned, the next it's a character I'm actually invested in.

For HoM, I interpreted her referring to him as Daddy as an extension of her subconsciously wishing she had a good relationship with her father, as HoM was a dream world where many lived out their innermost desires.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    That seems logical at first - but when you think about it, it doesn't actually change anything rights-wise - the deals are the deals, and in the Fox-verse they are still Mag's kids, and they're still mutants. It doesn't change things money-wise in any substantial way, as far as I can see.

So, with that in mind, I'm actually not so sure it's just a demand from Ike.

ON the other hand.. Ike Perlmutter seems to be an irrational sociopathic mad-man! So with that in mind, I suppose it's quite possible you're right...

...I'l never understand it though.
    He has quite the reputation for being extremely petty. If he's willing to exclude the FF and X-Men from Marvel merchandise, something we KNOW he issued, I wouldn't put this past him either.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

I dug Fox's QS personally lol, more entertaining, and more in tune with his characterisation despite being younger. I'd definitely expect a teenage Quicksilver to be quick witted and arrogant. Though them being mutants was never a HUGE point of focus all things considered, so I could see how the MCU made it work without Magneto. I just don't quite vibe with the reasoning to change it in the comics. One day it's Wanda and Pietro getting retconned, the next it's a character I'm actually invested in.
    For HoM, I interpreted her referring to him as Daddy as an extension of her subconsciously wishing she had a good relationship with her father, as HoM was a dream world where many lived out their innermost desires.

I don't find the Fox QS in tune at all. He's way too American one thing. I prefer the MCU version because he is Eastern European and their family background is far more interesting, having been a victim of Stark - supplied ordnance so we will have to disagree there.

He has quite the reputation for being extremely petty. If he's willing to exclude the FF and X-Men from Marvel merchandise, something we KNOW he issued, I wouldn't put this past him either.
    While I agree the Ike is probably not someone you want to mess with (having formerly been in the Israeli army) but IIRC Marvel Studios can't use the term mutant in any of their movies. Fox has laid exclusive claim to it. So it appears that one is not on him.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-24-2016 at 09:07 AM.

I don't find the Fox QS in tune at all. He's way too American one thing. I prefer the MCU version because he is Eastern European and their family background is far more interesting, having been a victim of Stark - supplied ordnance so we will have to disagree there.
    I'm content with agreeing to disagree lol Different strokes for different folks.

While I agree the Ike is probably not someone you want to mess with (having formerly been in the Israeli army) but IIRC Marvel Studios can't use the term mutant in any of their movies. Fox has laid exclusive claim to it. So it appears that one is not on him.
    I'm speaking in terms of toys, clothes, promotion etc, not movie rights. Fox owned properties have repeatedly been removed from merch, which Marvel still have licensing over iirc, but would rather not promote Fox's movies.

Upcoming Reading:

I prefer the more European version of Pietro. First Class' 'Pete' was a great character, in his own right. but he was more like the X-Men Evolution version of Quicksilver than what I imagined the comic book version to be. comic book version always struck me as the guy of guy who would refuse to assimilate.

yes, that much seems obvious. she underwent a sort of regression during Disassembled. being surrounded by a supportive family unit makes sense as a way to protect herself. Cyclops had Emma. Doom had his mother. what I don't get is why Mystique didn't have Destiny. doesn't feel right that Irene wouldn't be more important to her.

I have to laugh about those who are all hurt about Quicksilver and Wanda perhaps not being true mutants when Stan was the one that planted that years ago in their Avengers appearances.
    it's no longer the period that most posters associate with the Avengers; therefore making it irrelevant. if the next issue of Thor included a scene of the Odinson building a time machine it would confuse most readers. but that seed was planted a long time ago. personally, i'm not bothered by the change. if the twins have potential as non-mutants, I think they should explore it. i prefer it to some of the other changes they have made *cough* Nick Fury *cough*

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Alexander Flynn had a very strange history after the Beauty and the Beast mini series and turned out to be hologram in a later story.
    Yeah, I don't buy that hologram thing applying to the Beauty & the Beast mini. Kitty just meant the one in New Mutants was a hologram.

You also have to remember that John Byrne was writing the FF at that time IIRC had his editor nix the idea that they were related.
    Yeah, but I choose not to... as with many Byrne things. The Doom that wanted Storm wasn't a bot, either. And the real Vizh was never dismantled.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    it's no longer the period that most posters associate with the Avengers; therefore making it irrelevant. if the next issue of Thor included a scene of the Odinson building a time machine it would confuse most readers. but that seed was planted a long time ago. personally, i'm not bothered by the change. if the twins have potential as non-mutants, I think they should explore it. i prefer it to some of the other changes they have made *cough* Nick Fury *cough*
    Oh for sure. I wonder of Reed has fixed that though and maybe Uatu will be back too.

I would excuse that lack of knowledge of the past if the issues weren't so readily available today. In days gone by I had to hunt stuff down in back issue bins, which was kind of an adventure in itself. I was lucky enough to have about half a dozen or so LCS within a manageable driving distance. But these days you have Marvel Digital, which I have been subscribing too for a while now. I do concede you don't have to know every little detail of the past. But there are some writers that go there to justify a plot.

I'm content with agreeing to disagree lol Different strokes for different folks.
    I'm speaking in terms of toys, clothes, promotion etc, not movie rights. Fox owned properties have repeatedly been removed from merch, which Marvel still have licensing over iirc, but would rather not promote Fox's movies.
    That's the part that is very petty and I wonder if that it the last thing that Ike can wield his clout with since he came over to Marvel along with Avi Arad through Toy Biz. I was looking at the We Love Fine site that has all the cool shirts and all of the Doom ones have disappeared lately. I've bought about2 or 3 from them in the past. Maybe they lost the rights to produce any.

Well if Quicksilver in the comics is all about dating hot chicks now that's he not Magneto's son isn't he more in line with Quicksilver in the fox movies?