View Poll Results: Do you like that Magneto is no longer the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver?

Voters
320. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 14.38%
  • No

274 85.63%
Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    Well if Quicksilver in the comics is all about dating hot chicks now that's he not Magneto's son isn't he more in line with Quicksilver in the fox movies?
    not necessarily. Age of Ultron Quicksilver hit on a woman he saved during the final fight. i can't remember if this was an unused scene or not. i saw it as a clip on comicbookmovie's page. he was definitely trying to arrange a date.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I have to laugh about those who are all hurt about Quicksilver and Wanda perhaps not being true mutants when Stan was the one that planted that years ago in their Avengers appearances.
    What happened years ago has less weight when there's years of continuity that become irrelevant when it's retconned. Had they retconned it that year I would feel differently.

BTW, how does that story arc end? Did they find out they were losing their powers due to distance from home?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    BTW, how does that story arc end? Did they find out they were losing their powers due to distance from home?
    Wanda and Pietro appeared for one page in an issue of Thor where it was implied that they might have got their powers from the High Evolutionary (which is where Brevoort and Remender got their idea for how to do the retcon) but the plot thread was dropped after that and the twins went back to the Avengers.

Kirby might have been planning to do something with them, or he might not have been - Stan Lee preferred the Avengers to have only four members, so he was probably trying to write the twins out once Wasp and Giant-Man returned. But we'll never know what exactly that was supposed to be leading up to because Lee left The Avengers right after that.

Incidentally that issue of Thor (134) has one of the best bits of Stan Lee cover copy:

Incredible Member

definitely think it's a dumb change and I'll show you why.

Grandpa Magneto is comedy gold .

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Wanda and Pietro appeared for one page in an issue of Thor where it was implied that they might have got their powers from the High Evolutionary (which is where Brevoort and Remender got their idea for how to do the retcon) but the plot thread was dropped after that and the twins went back to the Avengers.

Kirby might have been planning to do something with them, or he might not have been - Stan Lee preferred the Avengers to have only four members, so he was probably trying to write the twins out once Wasp and Giant-Man returned. But we'll never know what exactly that was supposed to be leading up to because Lee left The Avengers right after that.

Incidentally that issue of Thor (134) has one of the best bits of Stan Lee cover copy:
    ]
    reminds me of when they tried to make Northstar and Aurora fairies.

Personally I haven't even bought a comic with either Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch in it since the retcon. I am doing what Brevoort says on his formspring and voting with my "dollars" or in my case euros. Interesting that the vast majority of even Avengers fans don't care for this retcon either.
    I haven't bought a Marvel comic since last summer because the retcon. I haven't even gone to the Marvel Civil War which is a first for me in terms of Marvel films and I don't know if I will go to X-Men Apocalypse even though Fox is only in small part responsible.

The second Fox used Quicksilver a year before Marvel did I knew it would lead to bad things comic wise. Little did I know a few months later they would alter Wanda and Pietro fundimentally and totally as characters. Frankly I didn't think they would go that far in response. But, it was the sort of extreme response that an angry fanboy might do from the suits that has really killed my interest for the time being in the comics or Marvel/Fox produced films.

Frankly I do think the retcon will be undone in time because Wanda and Pietro get nothing out of it and it's not like it effects what Fox does or does not do with Pietro or Wanda in any way. But, at the end of the day this episode is a great example of how the studio wars are undermining the comics. You create decades of lore and some great and some not so great stories between them about a family in comics, cartoons, etc. then decide it was all a lie not for any artistic reason but because of bad blood between studios it leaves me wondering if it's worth it to stay a fan of Marvel comics and Marvel and Fox produced films.

This whole episode basically produced a crisis in confidence in me as a 25 year Marvel fan. As a man who understands business, I would still hate it, but I would at least understand it on a business level if Marvel's action suddenly nixed Fox's ability to use the characters in their move, but the reality is no it's a decision that doesn't even help Marvel financially in any conceivable way nor limit Fox's options going forward.

The first Marvel character I really liked as a kid was Magneto and the connection between him and Pietro and Wanda led me to read about them and the Avengers and made me a fan of the twins. A lot of history was there that helped build and develop the characters into Marvel's most interesting family unit in my mind. There were flaws and it sometimes felt writers were stuck in the early 90s with Wanda and Pietro's relationship with Magneto, but for all flaws the family was growing and developing in the comics with Lorna and Wanda's new young adult twins and then poof all gone they were never related because of a tiff between two studios that effects nothing that either studio can do with them legally.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-25-2016 at 06:13 AM.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I thought that I was the only one who believed Eileen to be one of his offspring. she even kind of looks like Lorna. and he did single her out to come to Avalon; over Mortimer and Frederick.
    Oh that's one of those deep cut/ alt B side rumours that clearly make sense once you let it sink in. Hise if M was literally the next time she was seen since the 90's and yeah, she was serving on Magnus' personal security detail. Hrmmmmmmmm...

The first Marvel comic I ever bought for myself was Giant-Size Avengers #1 back in 1974. It revealed Pietro and Wanda to be Bob and Madeline Franks' children.

That's my preferred interpretation of Pietro and Wanda, so I'm perfectly happy with the retcon. Your mileage may vary.

Retcons based on artistic reasons I can disagree with often strongly, but when ordered by people who have nothing to do with the day to day writing of comics, I tend to have bigger issues with no matter what.
    Last edited by jmc247; 05-25-2016 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    Oh that's one of those deep cut/ alt B side rumours that clearly make sense once you let it sink in. Hise if M was literally the next time she was seen since the 90's and yeah, she was serving on Magnus' personal security detail. Hrmmmmmmmm...
    she was also one of the only people caught up in House of M who retained their memories; afterwards. she might still be in that rubber room. someone needs to break her out, stat.

I never liked the franks being their parents because the Whizzer is kind of a joke. like I never need to see that guy and his pee-coloured costume again. plus, I loved the idea of the twins being roma. Wanda was the hot foreign exchange student.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Retcons based on artistic reasons I can disagree with often strongly, but when ordered by people who have nothing to do with the day to day writing of comics, I tend to have bigger issues with no matter what.
    Yeah this really. It does not feel like this was done to create interesting stories it was done because it was demanded by some exec. It only takes from the characters.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    definitely think it's a dumb change and I'll show you why.

Grandpa Magneto is comedy gold .
    God I love those comics. I need to visit scans-daily again. It's been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by DiceRoll View Post
    God I love those comics. I need to visit scans-daily again. It's been a while.
    The artist posts them here if you're interested.

Yeah this really. It does not feel like this was done to create interesting stories it was done because it was demanded by some exec. It only takes from the characters.
    Another question I tend to look at regarding any retcon if it is opening up story line doors are closing them.