Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "X-Men: Apocalypse" Scores Big International Box Office Opening with $103.3 Million

Still a week away from opening in America and weathering some a lukewarm critical reception, the latest X-film

Full article here.

Nice, I thought it was solid albeit not as good as DoFP

Mighty Member

Any comic book movie that does will makes me happy! So that's a good thing !

The bad thing? I guess Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg will continue to make mediocre X-Men movies for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by solletaire; 05-22-2016 at 12:09 PM.

Amazing Member

The Wolverine scene in the film was my favorite Wolverine scene in any of Hugh Jackman's previous films as the Wolverine. But Hugh had about the same amount of muscle mass as he did in the very first X-Men movie way back in the year 2000. Hugh was definitely not jacked in this film. Hugh was very skinny, but he had no body fat to speak of, so you could still see his 6 packed abs. And the best scene in the whole film was the slow motion Quicksilver scene once again. Followed closely by the Quicksilver vs Apocalypse scene. Yes, Quicksilver once again stole the show with his limited appearances. And Wolverine's 5 minutes of screen time was the next best thing. But the movie was a whole lot better then the last X-Men film for sure.

Avoided reading anything above here as I'm avoiding spoilers, but I'm happy to hear this good news after the reviews it has been getting.

All-New Member

I didn't see any reviews before watching it, and I'm kinda surprised to hear that they are bad. I certainly enjoyed this movie a lot more than the recent hero vs. hero movies. It's not as good as Deadpool though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
    I didn't see any reviews before watching it, and I'm kinda surprised to hear that they are bad. I certainly enjoyed this movie a lot more than the recent hero vs. hero movies. It's not as good as Deadpool though.
    As it hasn't opened yet in the US, I'm guessing the majority of the English reviews that are out there are from the "geek press," which has often cast a bit of a sideways view towards the Fox/Singer X-Men, particularly in the wake of the rise of Marvel Studios. It'll be interesting to see what the critical landscape looks like come the end of this week.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    As it hasn't opened yet in the US, I'm guessing the majority of the English reviews that are out there are from the "geek press," which has often cast a bit of a sideways view towards the Fox/Singer X-Men, particularly in the wake of the rise of Marvel Studios. It'll be interesting to see what the critical landscape looks like come the end of this week.
    Theyre already in. It's pretty much a resounding, "meh."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    Theyre already in. It's pretty much a resounding, "meh."
    There are only 123 reviews for Apocalypse rated on Rotten Tomatoes. Pretty much every other X-movie has at least twice that many. So it's likely that the current rating doesn't include the majority of reviews from mainstream press outlets, which don't generally publish reviews for new movies until the day of or before their opening.

Incredible Member

Its safe to say it will remain "meh" with the rest of the critics. I don't think I've ever seen a movie go from 50% to 80-90% with the remaining critics.
    G.O.A.T.: Greatest Of All Time now on Patreon. Please support or spread the word www.patreon.com/andrewhuerta

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    There are only 123 reviews for Apocalypse rated on Rotten Tomatoes. Pretty much every other X-movie has at least twice that many. So it's likely that the current rating doesn't include the majority of reviews from mainstream press outlets, which don't generally publish reviews for new movies until the day of or before their opening.
    You are right that more review are on the way. But the majority of film press outside geek culture has submitted their reviews. You will see that once you scroll through the reviews or look online. The final tomato meter will probably change, but Indon't expect it will be by much.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    You are right that more review are on the way. But the majority of film press outside geek culture has submitted their reviews. You will see that once you scroll through the reviews or look online. The final tomato meter will probably change, but Indon't expect it will be by much.
    Yeah, i think that at the end the score is going to be 60% - 65%.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    I'm not talking just about "film press." I'm talking about major mass market publications/outlets (e.g., major newspapers, Time, Newsweek, Rolling Stone, etc.). Most of those won't publish reviews until the days just prior to the film's release. Whether they will differ significantly from the ones already in is anyone's guess, but there are still a lot of them that haven't chimed in yet, making it too soon to make sweeping definitive pronouncements about the overall critical response.

Mighty Member

I have seen the movie, It was ok. Frankly, Civil war is better, but by a small margin. But the real problem of the movie is that there is nothing new in it, no surprises. Magneto do what Magneto do in every other X-men movies, and the X-men too. But I have no problem with Apocalypse, when you compare him with the marvel cinematic Villains, he seems not so bad. Seriously since winter Soldier, I don't remember one super-hero movie who has surprised me. I'm affraid that the genre is becoming stale.

I have a feeling this is going to be one of the lowest grossing X-men movies since First Class. It's not just the mixed reviews that are the problem. I think Fox chose the worst possible week to release a movie because the very next week, they've got TMNT to deal with. Then a week or so later, they've got Independence Day 2. I think there's no way that X-men: Apocalypse breaks the $700 million mark. And it'll be a huge shortcoming on Fox's part that'll set back the franchise. However, the success of Deadpool will keep them going. Despite the success of Civil War and Batman v Superman, Deadpool still turned the biggest profit and that's what the studios want at the end of the day.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.