Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I was really interested in reading it, and I'm still really interested in reading it

The only change in my interest, is that I'm even more interested.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    There are some truly horrific ideas that Johns is inserting to yet another reboot of the DCU. I don't care how they try to sell REBIRTH: it's a reboot with some very hard resets for certain of its characters.

I loathe the notion of The Watchmen as potentially being the "biggest secret" of the DCU.

I loathe even more that there will now be Diana and Jason - the Wonder Twins. It is so disrespectful to comicdom's premier superheroine how DC just mucks her origins so much. DC would never do that with Batman or Superman.
    less loathing, more enjoying

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    . . . (heck, I bought the recent Scooby-Doo Team-Up because it had Captain Marvel and I want him to have a book again) . . .
    Aside from Mr. Tawky-Tawny's face seeming a bit off, it was a truly fun issue. The issue previous was a fun one with The Flash, and the next issue get's Silver Age-style Hawman and Hawkgirl.

The series overall has been a great way to feel like a kid again!

I'm actually super pumped from the spoilers. Wally West being back is of course a big one, but I'm also excited about the three Jokers concept. It's a different take that I really think is the only way the character can recover from the constant darkness that has been shadowing him lately. To put it bluntly, no one seems to believe that the current Joker could wake up one day and become identical to one of his more milder personas over the years. That means the idea of a constantly shifting personality is dead in the water. The only thing we can get is constantly darker and edgier joker with no chance for pure mayhem runs like stealing all the gumballs in Gotham just to fuck with people. I like the possibility of completely mild crimes to balance out the murdering Robins and crippling loved ones crimes. If I can't get it with a believably written constantly shifting joker anymore, I'll settle for three guys same moniker version. Plus, this opens up the possibility of Joker/Harley getting back together. I always liked the insane clowns in love concept. It was a good one that doesn't get nearly enough play in media.

I'm also strangely accepting of the Watchmen being introduced. Not because I think they should show up in stories in the DCU as just any old members, but because someone on this board made a very interesting meta point about their usage. Essentially Watchmen kicked off the dark and gritty era of comics. It makes a lot of sense to use them again to mark the beginning of a new direction. A direction marked by a lot of old couples and fan favorites being reintroduced. This could spell very good things for how we are going. As long as they remember not to overdue it.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I was hoping against hope that they would avoid bringing back the past Wally West, so my enthusiasm has waned a bit, but I'm still generally on board and interested to see where they take things.
    I'm curious. What makes you prefer the rebooted version of Wally to the original?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I'm curious. What makes you prefer the rebooted version of Wally to the original?
    The sense of inclusion - we have quite enough straight white male heroes, thanks.

The sense of inclusion - we have quite enough straight white male heroes, thanks.
    New 52 Wally is still going to be around and in the main Flash book and the Teen Titans. Adding new characters without taking away old ones seems like it would be the ideal. That way everyone gets toys.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    New 52 Wally is still going to be around and in the main Flash book. Adding new characters without taking away old ones seems like it would be the ideal. That way everyone gets toys.
    Except that the non-straight-white-male characters get further diluted when you add more straight-white-male characters.

Plus, I don't think old Wally West brings anything significant to the table that isn't generally covered by Barry Allen. No, they aren't identical, but the differences don't mean much to me. Old Wally is just redundant.

Fantastic Member

Neither the spoilers nor the preview itself have changed anything.

I'll pass on DC Regurgitation.

It can be hard to try to erase the racist past of society and also found in comics, since old customers do not like the idea of erasing history in comics.

Except that the non-straight-white-male characters get further diluted when you add more straight-white-male characters.

Plus, I don't think old Wally West brings anything significant to the table that isn't generally covered by Barry Allen. No, they aren't identical, but the differences don't mean much to me. Old Wally is just redundant.
    So you want DC to take away someones else's toys because other people like those toys more than your favorite toys (thus less spotlight on your favorite toys). Can you see why that's a really uncharitable way to view things, and why people might be a little justifiably mad at people who call for it. The way to move forward is to expand lines and comic options not shrink them. Plus, how are people supposed to like new characters when they are explicitly sold as taking away characters people already liked. That's just setting everyone up for reasonable bad feelings.

Barry Allen can't cover the Titan's generation. He doesn't have the overcoming the shadow of a mentor and proving oneself to older hero's going for him that would let him fit in with the likes of Nightwing and the other Titans. He Justice League or nothing material. That eliminates an entire region of story telling potential.

Dc already tried to erase pre flashpoint Wally which unfortunately left big holes in Titans history for people who remember Titans history. Wally was the main Flash for more than 20 years and erasing Wally definitely created a huge hole for people who remember comic book history.

Incredible Member

Do people who actually care about that sort of thing like NuWally though?

I mean if inclusion is the goal.Then wouldn't it be better to give one of the dozens of black characters DC has sitting in limbo that these people want to see a shot .(like Vixen for example ) rather than a character that opened DC up to racism accusations?
    Last edited by Baseman; 05-22-2016 at 06:15 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    Do people who actually care about that sort of thing like NuWally though?

I mean if inclusion the goal.Then wouldn't it be better to give the dozens of black characters DC has sitting in limbo a shot.(like Vixen for example ) rather than a character that opened DC up to racism accusations?
    Well, these discussions have gone round and round before, but the point is that New Wally has a place to be - in the Flash comic. He gets exposure by being in the Flash comic, which people are at least going to buy based on the main Flash.

Vixen, on the other hand, would have to sell comics on her own merits, and that doesn't necessarily work. Unless you make Vixen a secondary character in a very popular character's book, to force them to buy it.