Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: AMC's Preacher

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I think Tulip's nastiness toward God may have something to do with race. She was white in the comic book, but we now have a Black actress portraying the character. Now, consider how white people in America have used Christianity and the Christian God to manipulate Black people. Tulip may harbor some resentment on that score and she takes out that resentment on God.
    That would be interesting if they portrayed that way. She just comes of as petulant.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I think Tulip's nastiness toward God may have something to do with race. She was white in the comic book, but we now have a Black actress portraying the character. Now, consider how white people in America have used Christianity and the Christian God to manipulate Black people. Tulip may harbor some resentment on that score and she takes out that resentment on God.
    Honestly, that scene plays almost exactly like issue twelve of the comic. While "TV" Tulip had just a bit more back talk, the level of antagonism was about the same as the scene in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Honestly, that scene plays almost exactly like issue twelve of the comic. While "TV" Tulip had just a bit more back talk, the level of antagonism was about the same as the scene in the comics.
    It seemed very different to me, including God not being in a silly dog suit. And God deserved Tulips scor
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I'm trying to enjoy this show for what it is but the fact they took the comic's mid-series twist of Cassidy being in love with Tulip and turned it into an ongoing petty squabble between Jesse and Cassidy right from the early episodes really annoys me. It was a huge turning point in the comic that shifted things away from the exploration of having/losing faith in a higher power to having/losing faith in people. I don't see how they can do (if they're still going to do) Cassidy's betrayal with the same impact now.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonm View Post
    I'm trying to enjoy this show for what it is but the fact they took the comic's mid-series twist of Cassidy being in love with Tulip and turned it into an ongoing petty squabble between Jesse and Cassidy right from the early episodes really annoys me. It was a huge turning point in the comic that shifted things away from the exploration of having/losing faith in a higher power to having/losing faith in people. I don't see how they can do (if they're still going to do) Cassidy's betrayal with the same impact now.
    Never mind that it sets a good portion of the final act of the story into motion.

That's a big part of why I don't see this going to much further.

Alright so....that was that.
    This series has really been a constant up and down, and the finale perfectly showcased that.

I mean, the first half was great....but what followed afterwards was pretty anticlimactic.
    Could Eugene's fate have been more open? What the hell about Starr, does he just get to live happily ever after?
    And that final time skip was also pretty unnecessary.

All in all, this series was ok, but could have been a lot better.

BANNED

I enjoyed this a lot. Definitely one of the better shows i've seen in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    Alright so....that was that.
    This series has really been a constant up and down, and the finale perfectly showcased that.

I mean, the first half was great....but what followed afterwards was pretty anticlimactic.
    Could Eugene's fate have been more open? What the hell about Starr, does he just get to live happily ever after?
    And that final time skip was also pretty unnecessary.

All in all, this series was ok, but could have been a lot better.
    To say the very least...

It was almost like they were telling a completely different story that just happened to be wearing Preacher's clothes. Pretty much the same playbook they are running on The Boys.

The show was definitely inconsistent, but hey, we got to see Jesus vs. Hitler, which was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    I really wanted someone to kill Starr. Eugene became a famous rocker, if that woman's shirt was any indication.

Just to point this out...

Eugene's final fate was a nod to the comics. It worked out something like it did here but a little bit differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That would be interesting if they portrayed that way. She just comes of as petulant.
    As the finale pointed out, Tulip's been pretty sore at God about losing the baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    I enjoyed this a lot. Definitely one of the better shows i've seen in recent years.
    I've finally managed to see the last season and I agree with you. Overall, it was a lot of fun. Yeah, sure, lots of things could have been a lot better and I definitely didn't like the final time skip.
    Btw, Ruth Negga could have at least tried to give Tulip's daughter a different accent.
    Broken English Spoken Perfectly

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by niconico00 View Post
    I've finally managed to see the last season and I agree with you. Overall, it was a lot of fun. Yeah, sure, lots of things could have been a lot better and I definitely didn't like the final time skip.
    Btw, Ruth Negga could have at least tried to give Tulip's daughter a different accent.
    Still the most inspired depiction of any pope in any film or television that has ever been seen. The class, the refinement, the gentle nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Still the most inspired depiction of any pope in any film or television that has ever been seen. The class, the refinement, the gentle nature.
    That didn't balance out the garbage depiction of every character outside of that, save Cassidy.