Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Am I having a weird case of Deja Vu or have you already asked this exact question months ago?

I`ll asnwer the same thing I did back when. Her own creator took her out of Joker`s grasp. Easy pie.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 05-23-2016 at 04:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Its such an odd thing to be mad that Harley and joker are no longer a couple. Their no way in our modern world of today that they would backtrack her to a doormat and victim of abuse. You JSUT have to embrance the current Harley cuz she ain't going anywhere. Its Likely to be Gotham sirens vs birds of prey type thing. Which I would be down for, batman has a he'll of a secondary cast and I want to dive into them all and featuring batgirl will bridge the way night wing in the future so its all good. No I'm not gearing up to hate the Harley Quinn film its gonna be funny , violent and probably very honest. And I bet Taylor Swift will write a song for it BECASUE Harley Quinn is a fan of Taylor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unfinishedsentenc View Post
    Because I am.

Each day there's more and more evidence that she'll in someway break things off with Joker in Suicide Squad; she's even got a solo film in the works, and while she could still be in a relationship with Joker in that one--as being in a relationship with a man doesn't suddenly render a character less interesting--it does seem unlikely for that to be the case, going by all the evidence that's been presented in the trailers and set photos. Now, I hated when they estranged the couple in the comics and, call me foolish, but ever since the movie was announced, I was holding out hope that the great and the good would opt for a more loyal representation of the character for her first live-action appearance; one that recognized the original concept and all the facets that went along with it instead of just adhering to the most modernized version possible.

Why?

Because I truthfully find the act of having Harley Quinn permanently isolated from her abuser to be completely irrational and gratuitously feminist for a character that's never about being an independent woman. Because I can't comprehend all of the female empowerment propaganda being foisted onto a character who's supposed to be a mass-murdering psychopath. How does one woman's actions stand for all of womankind? How does representing misogyny and domestic abuse suddenly equate with condoning such horrible things? How can it be perfectly fine for a character to grow so much that he or she eventually outgrows him- or herself? See, I'm fine with Quinn having her own adventures and making friends and building a supporting cast and all that, but she completely loses her allure (and her hamartia, if you think about it) when she's not Joker's Robin. And there's another question: Why is it totally okay for Robin to be both a sidekick to Batman and also a fully realized person in his own right? That almost seems, hmm, what's the word? Oh right. Sexist.

I'm not alone.... right? (Braces for impact)
    I'm sorry, but this thread is premature since we're getting a version close to her original interpretation. Her origin and relationship with the Joker are all going to be in this, even if it's in flashbacks. She's with the Squad in the present, but that doesn't mean things are going to stay that way. Chances are very good that she and Mistah J are going to be appearing in the Batman film together.

I don't believe her other film appearance is confirmed to be a solo film either. For all we know, she's a villain in a Batgirl or BoP film.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Gearing up? I've always hated Harley. Only story of hers I liked is Dini/Timm Mad Love.

Terrible character, annoying, overexposed.
    Boom! Totally agree with this guy!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And what makes you think she'll be a role model in Suicide Squad?
    She's not, she wont be, it's that Harley Quinn has a rather strange fanbase that whitewashes her action. There are legions of Harley fans who think she's a hero and should be a role model.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    Gearing up? I've always hated Harley. Only story of hers I liked is Dini/Timm Mad Love.

Terrible character, annoying, overexposed.
    This, awful character.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    She's not, she wont be, it's that Harley Quinn has a rather strange fanbase that whitewashes her action. There are legions of Harley fans who think she's a hero and should be a role model.
    This is hardly unique to Harley Quinn. And even then, that doesn't seem to be what the OP is complaining about. He's upset that Harley is no longer in a relationship with the Joker. Judging by interviews with Robbie and others involved with the film, that doesn't mean she's a hero.

is the original post onion parody?

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    I'll admit it now, I'm a fan of the Palmiotti/Connor Harley comics. She's not a hero, she's not a role model; she's fun to read about. One of the best things about comics is the form's ability to embrace the absurd and the impossible and play them straight. The current Harley books do that. Yes, the humour is off-color and more than a little black, but that's okay.

It reminds me of reading comics in my childhood.

Incredible Member

Got to admit I am getting sick of Harley now, I loved her in the animated series & some of the Connor stuff but shes becoming over-exposed to 90's Wolverine/Venom/Deadpool levels now!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Always hated Harley and her current title has no excuse for being around other than "it sells".

That said what I've seen from SS so far... now there's a glimpse of potential but the window/ass shot moment is still very strange.
    Well DC comics aren't aimed at kids anymore, at least SS never was.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    When a character becomes popular enough, they get their own book(s).

If it's a villain, they have to become less of a straightforward villain and move into anti-villain or anti-hero territory.

From a storytelling perspective, what separates a villain from a hero is the ability to grow and overcome character flaws.

Harley having a solo book all but necessitates her (at least temporarily) overcoming her codependency on the Joker. (It's only very recently that Harley really put the last nail in the coffin of their relationship.)
    No, just the female ones. Male villains can maintain their popularity and stay villains. (see Joker, Darkseid, and pretty much all the major DC villains). It's a classic case of "she can't be that bad, look how hot she is" mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    No, just the female ones. Male villains can maintain their popularity and stay villains. (see Joker, Darkseid, and pretty much all the major DC villains). It's a classic case of "she can't be that bad, look how hot she is" mentality.
    Neither of whom have had an ongoing solo series. (Joker's only had minis if I recall.)

And, granted not a comic character, but Spike from Buffy is a male villain face-turned because of his popularity.
    Last edited by Tuck; 05-24-2016 at 09:12 AM.

All-New Member

Without beating around the bush Harley is only a character and not a play thing when she is away from Joker otherwise she is just a plaything. Secondly, Harley is DC's Deadpool, a character who was created in the 90's as a villain who has done vicious violent things in the comics but has slowly but surely become a popular Anti-hero cash cow. So with her upcoming role and spinoff and her comics selling like gangbusters get ready to see a whole lot of her.

Quote Originally Posted by etamogrey View Post
    Secondly, Harley is DC's Deadpool, a character who was created in the 90's as a villain who has done vicious violent things in the comics but has slowly but surely become a popular Anti-hero cash cow. So with her upcoming role and spinoff and her comics selling like gangbusters get ready to see a whole lot of her.
    Speaking of the books, not the characters per se, Harley's solo feels like it fills in that space in the DC catalog that Lobo used to.