Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Neither of whom have had an ongoing solo series. (Joker's only had minis if I recall.)

And, granted not a comic character, but Spike from Buffy is a male villain face-turned because of his popularity.
    No, the Joker series in the '70s was an ongoing but was cancelled with #9. I've read it and it is pretty weird: the Joker isn't all that much of a bad guy. He doesn't kill anyone or even do anything all that bad. Pretty much every issue ends with him getting captured and starts with him escaping from prison.

As far as Harley goes, I used to dislike her a lot. Now that she's sort of evolved into this anti-hero role with an established fan base, I don't feel the same way. I'm just sort of neutral. She's not for me but given her popularity she clearly fills an entertainment niche so that's cool.

Harley Quinn was not created in the comics
    She was created in BTAS if you watched the show and followed her character throughout its run in various shows
    This thread wouldn't have been created imo
    Harley going off on her own is a natural part of her ongoing cycle of leaving and going back to the Joker.

Right now DC is in a position where they can't ignore the fact that she is their 2nd most popular character and have to showcase her as such.
    So no Joker slapping Harley around and she gets to go on her own adventures like any star character would.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

To answer the OP. No I am not gearing up to hate Harley, why would I? She's a great character and has grown to be more then just the joker's sidekick/punching bag. I look forward to Suicide Squad and whatever other film she ends up appearing in.
    Last edited by GreenLanternRanger; 05-24-2016 at 11:23 AM.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

I think she's a great character that has been over used.

That said, I won't be surprised if this movie is a big sleeper hit a la Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

I am gearing up to love Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    No, just the female ones. Male villains can maintain their popularity and stay villains. (see Joker, Darkseid, and pretty much all the major DC villains). It's a classic case of "she can't be that bad, look how hot she is" mentality.
    But how many DC female villains have their own solo comic books? Catwoman and Harley Quinn are the only ones I can think of. Maybe Poison Ivy if you count Gotham City Sirens, but she's there because of Catwoman and Harley Quinn.
    Catwoman got a title because of her popularity in Batman Returns. She had almost disappeared from the comic books before that. And it was more Catwoman is sort of a female Batman so making her a hero wasn't that difficult. Basically what ever Batman can do, Catwoman can do too. How many female villains are enough like Batman to be a substitute Batman?
    Harley Quinn is popular because a lot of people find her funny. How many funny male villains are funny enough to support their own title? Maybe Joker, but Joker works better as the villain in other books than as a stand alone character.
    They got their titles because they are interesting. Hotness is just a side benefit.
    Last edited by Osiris-Rex; 05-24-2016 at 02:04 PM.

''I shall become a bat.'' masahikotahara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I am gearing up to love Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad.
    Margot. Robbie.

gfmudr6cn154_full.jpg
    Visit my website: http://ultimatebatmancomicswebsite.weebly.com for a timeline of Batman comics from Batman: Year One to Flashpoint,
    The New 52 and Rebirth!

CANON! CHRONOLOGY! READING ORDER!

...AND MORE...

Ultimate Member

Also it doesn't sound like this film is just a Harley solo film. It sounds more like a "Harley and some of the other awesome female DC characters" film.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    But how many DC female villains have their own solo comic books? Catwoman and Harley Quinn are the only ones I can think of. Maybe Poison Ivy if you count Gotham City Sirens, but she's there because of Catwoman and Harley Quinn.
    Catwoman got a title because of her popularity in Batman Returns. She had almost disappeared from the comic books before that. And it was more Catwoman is sort of a female Batman so making her a hero wasn't that difficult. Basically what ever Batman can do, Catwoman can do too. How many female villains are enough like Batman to be a substitute Batman?
    Harley Quinn is popular because a lot of people find her funny. How many funny male villains are funny enough to support their own title? Maybe Joker, but Joker works better as the villain in other books than as a stand alone character.
    They got their titles because they are interesting. Hotness is just a side benefit.
    Their are plenty of interesting male villains too, but they don't get turned into heroes. it's almost universally a female phenomenon. It's also why their are almost no great female villains of note. Any time a a female villain starts to become popular they begin to turn her into a hero. I don't know why that is? But I have my suspicions that a lot of creators have a hard time writing female villains that are in fact villains, and thus almost always slant female antagonists down the antihero path.
    Last edited by mathew101281; 05-24-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

For me Catwoman, Poison Ivy and Harl are terribly written 90% of the time and there are like a hundred other DC adaptions I'd like to see first.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    No, just the female ones. Male villains can maintain their popularity and stay villains. (see Joker, Darkseid, and pretty much all the major DC villains). It's a classic case of "she can't be that bad, look how hot she is" mentality.
    Oh please, what about Magneto and Punisher? Doom is another major example who has become increasingly grey-shaded over the years.

On the DC side, there's Deadshot and most of the other dudes on Suicide Squad. Bane had an anti-hero stint in Secret Six and looks like Killer Croc will receive one in the new Squad movie and comic too.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Oh please, what about Magneto and Punisher? Doom is another major example who has become increasingly grey-shaded over the years.

On the DC side, there's Deadshot and most of the other dudes on Suicide Squad. Bane had an anti-hero stint in Secret Six and looks like Killer Croc will receive one in the new Squad movie and comic too.
    Hawkeye, looks like Clayface might be now, Venom, (technically) Plastic Man, Pied Piper and Trickster (at least before Flahspoint. don't know their current status). Harvey "goes sane" every once in a while too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I don't see how Bane had an anti-hero stint in Secret Six, or anybody else in that book for that matter. They were villains, doing villainy things.

Wait. Wait. Hold on a minute.

Is the premise of this thread actually "removing a battered woman from her abuser and her finding finding a meaning and a life away from him is sexist."?

Because, Damn. That is pretty effed up.

Thanks, internet.

edit:Language.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Wait. Wait. Hold on a minute.

Is the premise of this thread actually "removing a battered woman from her abuser and her finding finding a meaning and a life away from him is sexist."?

Because, Damn. That is pretty effed up.

Thanks, internet.

edit:Language.
    Battered woman, yes. Psychopathic child-killer, also yes. Few things are ever absolute. And I didn't mean that the act of her moving away from him is sexist. No. I meant that the fact she HAS to move away from him to become an independent person is. You tear away the foundation of a character, and everything else crumbles down on top of itself. My argument is no different from those who complained about what Snyder did to Freeze by making Nora a stranger and Victor her stalker.