Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default When New 52 Superman returns, who do you want writing him?

In this scenario, Berganza is gone and the writers are given the same level of freedom they would with DC's other top characters.

Excluding those that have already been writers on the main Superman books and limited series (So no Morrison, Pak, Snyder, Johns, etc), who from DC's current stable of writers would you like to see reestablish New 52 Superman?

Action Comics:
    Superman:

I do not know.... I am not so expert on comics as others.. I guess the best writers..

I'm more a fan of Batman(which has no problems in rebirth) than Superman but .. I want to see Superman shine, the superman of this universe, of course. Superdad no longer interests me.
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-20-2016 at 06:03 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There is zero indication that Berganza will be gone, though, so I don't see how this is different than any other wishlist.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

To be honest, I am sometimes questioning if the writers of the animated movies, which I know are partially based on already existing comic book material, but still I mean Sam Liu has a somewhat favorable bias about Superman in the animated Justice League films, I mean, as frustrated as I am, I am literally lining up the animated Superman material now, and finding that even Bruce Timm/Paul Dini gave an entertaining solo Superman series from 1996-2000.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Superman: Steve Orlando
    Action Comics: Tim Seeley (I like his Grayson annual featuring Superman)
    Alex Antone as new Superman editor.

Me

But seriously I don't really mind to be quite honest.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    In this scenario, Berganza is gone
    That's already not going to happen.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Easy. Tom King.

His work is so measured yet extremely imaginative. Has to be one of the greatest new talents working right now.

Rob Williams.

Loved his Martian Manhunter book. If you want big clever ideas with heart he's your man.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Easy. Tom King.

His work is so measured yet extremely imaginative. Has to be one of the greatest new talents working right now.

Rob Williams.

Loved his Martian Manhunter book. If you want big clever ideas with heart he's your man.
    I approve. Maybe I would put Seeley somewhere. But yes, they are both good choices.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    To be honest, I am sometimes questioning if the writers of the animated movies, which I know are partially based on already existing comic book material, but still I mean Sam Liu has a somewhat favorable bias about Superman in the animated Justice League films, I mean, as frustrated as I am, I am literally lining up the animated Superman material now, and finding that even Bruce Timm/Paul Dini gave an entertaining solo Superman series from 1996-2000.
    Are you discovering Dini/Timm's works NOW? Shame on you.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Are you discovering Dini/Timm's works NOW? Shame on you.
    Rediscovering, actually, that they are available for streaming on Amazon Prime, which means I can watch all the episodes without missing any like I missed plenty back in the day when it was being aired. Love internet streaming of TV shows.

Astonishing Member

Rediscovering, actually, that they are available for streaming on Amazon Prime, which means I can watch all the episodes without missing any like I missed plenty back in the day when it was being aired. Love internet streaming of TV shows.
    Well, they are always fine to re-watch. Their Superman series isn't as exceptionally good as their Batman works, but there are a lot (and I mean A LOT) of memorable things. I think that it may depend on the fact that their main inspiration were the Fleischer works (which I recently rediscovered for a paper I put together some months ago) - which were technically marvelous works without a particularly deep psychology of the characters.

It's sad to think that the series ended when things were really starting to get interesting with multi-part stories - but I have a suspicion that several plots found the way to the wonderful JL and JLU series (the episodes focused on elements related to the Superman's world were among the most important ones).

You NEED to check out Young Justice if you already haven't. Greg Weisman, the creator, is a master of marrying character and plot. It's level of cohesiveness is on par with Dini and Timm's JL and JLU. Before this he even made the best animated adaptation of Spider-man and the cult classic Gargoyles.

I wouldn't be mad at all if Dini and Timm or Weisman were put on Superman with editing by Alex Antone. I'd scramble to get to the comic shop just to see what their vision would be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    You NEED to check out Young Justice if you already haven't. Greg Weisman, the creator, is a master of marrying character and plot. It's level of cohesiveness is on par with Dini and Timm's JL and JLU.
    Yeah, I agree. I just discovered YJ and I was pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Well, they are always fine to re-watch. Their Superman series isn't as exceptionally good as their Batman works....

several plots found the way to the wonderful JL and JLU series (the episodes focused on elements related to the Superman's world were among the most important ones).
    It's funny you say this because I also think JL and JLU were where them finally hit their stride with Superman. Over the stretch of Superman to JLU the character went through quite the subtle arc in the background of the show.

From well meaning farmer's son to almost politician-like authority figure, and an implied growth at the end. I didn't always agree with him, but dammit if his arc wasn't interesting to watch. In hindsight I can actually see where Clark was coming from when he became the "politician" Superman in JLU. It was an increasingly precarious time in the world, and he felt he had to present the JLU as a focused and professional organization if it had any hope of staying and helping. He's driven partly by what Darkseid did to him, and the inherent weight that comes with being him. I also thought it was funny when you'd see him overestimate himself or peacock. That comes from not only his great power but as he said in and episode of JL "I take the hits so the others don't have to".

Interesting guy that I didn't always agree with.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-20-2016 at 11:25 AM.