Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Default What are the Best Spider-Man story arcs after One More Day?

Well, so basically I walked away from Spider-Man after One More Day, I didn't even buy the issue. So here I am wondering, and thinking of going back to trying Spider-Man, asking the question: What is the best story arc of Spider-Man since that event happened?

Astonishing Member

Everything drawn by Marcos Martin is fantastic. My favourite overall is "No One Dies" in Amazing Spider-Man #655-656.

http://spiderfan.org/credits/marcos_martin.html

BANNED

New Ways to Die is probably the first big arc of BND. Personal favorites of mine include No One Dies, Big Time, Superior Spider-Man and the Gauntlet, notably the Rhino two-parter.

Renew Your Vows is a fairly strong arc. I also very much like No Turning Back and the very first BIG TIME arc. Goblin Nation is also pretty strong as well.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    E My favourite overall is "No One Dies" in Amazing Spider-Man #655-656.
    This is, hands down, the best story post-OMD.

But it's Spider-Man. All the little threads and ongoing B-plots here and there are part of why the books are worth reading. Even No One Dies happens in context in the run. The Rhino two-parter that cyberhubbs mentions is great too . . . but are not two issues back-to-back.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    This is, hands down, the best story post-OMD.

But it's Spider-Man. All the little threads and ongoing B-plots here and there are part of why the books are worth reading. Even No One Dies happens in context in the run. The Rhino two-parter that cyberhubbs mentions is great too . . . but are not two issues back-to-back.
    Yeah. I shoulda mentioned that.

wonder how that got fit into a trade.

There are quite a few good reads in there. But there really are four eras to reckon with, each having their own distinct feel:

-BND (lots of creative teams, kind of a mixed bag)
    -Big Time (consistent writing, lots of interesting developments)
    -Superior Spider-Man (Doc Ock as Spider-Man, in Peter's body)
    -Newer stuff/rebootish (Peter back as Spider-Man, but now he is rich because of stuff Ock did while in his body)

I'd recommend certain arcs from each era, but really if you are getting back into Spider-Man most of the stuff before the last restart of ASM doesn't count for much. Maybe read the biggest arcs? Spider-Island and Spider-Verse. But really just go pick up the latest issue of ASM. A story arc just ended and a new one is just beginning.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

You check out the stuff that came after 2007 on this list, although it only goes up to 2012.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...d-master-list/

Beyond that. Superior Spider-Man is probably one of the best extended storylines from the Spider-Man comics. Renew Your Vows was an excellent mini-series with an alternate future Peter Parker. Spiral featured a crime war by Gerry Conway, and a compelling story where Spider-Man tries to prevent another vigilante from going off the deep end.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Renew Your vows and...er...er...Spider-Man 1602????

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Everything drawn by Marcos Martin is fantastic. My favourite overall is "No One Dies" in Amazing Spider-Man #655-656.

http://spiderfan.org/credits/marcos_martin.html
    Came in to say this. The best, and most innovative Spider-Man artist for years. It helps that most of the stories that he worked on had memorable scripts.

If you're into the classic rogues then I enjoyed most of the Gauntlet, although I thought that it's conclusion Grim Hunt fell a little flat.

The 'event' arcs written by Slott - namely Spider-Island and Ends of the Earth are worth a read, but don't really play to Spider-Man's strengths in my opinion.

The opening arc from Big Time was great fun and promised a lot, but I found the era as a whole quite forgettable. It's not bad at all though.

Dying Wish and the Superior Spider-Man were divisive, but pretty spectacular IMO and worth a read for any Spider-Man fan. The final arc was very poor though and felt like a rushed conclusion to the story. Honestly, I would have liked to see it carry on for a couple more years.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post

But it's Spider-Man. All the little threads and ongoing B-plots here and there are part of why the books are worth reading.
    This is something I feel is really important to stress. The greatness of Spider-Man comics come not just from individual stories, but the soap opera nature of it building plots and characters and threads between stories. That's why even where's a bum story or two in Brand New Day, it was still worth reading because of the nature of the beast, seeing Peter get a new job, or seeing how Jonah Sr gets together with Aunt May, or EVVVVIL Aunt May(my all time favorite spider-man subplot), or Jonah for Mayor, or the mystery of the new Goblin, etc.

So I could tell you which Brand New Day stories are the best, and I know you probably not made of money so you wanna cherry pick, but I highly recommend just reading the whole thing and then Slott's run afterwards. Its like a TV series, can't skip an episode cuz they still got important developments.

No One Dies is a standout, a modern classic I'd even go so far to say. Superior Spider-Man, of course. Unscheduled Stop, Family Ties, Shed, The Gauntlet is generally pretty good also.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

No One Dies

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

I want to say thank you for the updates. It has been a while since I posted this, but yes, No One Dies has struck some notes.

It is a very, very good story, but I think suffers a little from following themes that have been done to death in Spider-Man comics.