Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don’t limited myself to the big two and I am always looking to try new titles. I thought taking advantage of the free 30 day trial may be to my benefit. It is not a Netflix for comics but seems to be a good way to try new titles. I already downloaded the following to my tablet:

Criminal Vol 1
    The Goon Vol 1
    Judge Dredd Vol 1
    Planet of the Apes Vol 1
    Rebels #1
    Stumptown #1

I think this is a good start. Now I am going to go do some reading.

I love Comixology and reading comics on my iPad, but nothing can replace actually having a physical copy of a comic book in-hand.

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

I would've loved something like this when I first got into Comixology but just seems kind of late now. This works perfectly for the newbie but not for the longtime digital comics reader mainly because not everything is going to be available in the "unlimited" streaming service. For just certain volumes or story arcs maybe it might be worth it. Still not a bad deal for the uninitiated.
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

I used to feel that way but clearly digital is the way to go these days. Just makes more sense. Once in a while I'll actually pick up a physical copy but since getting my tablet a few years back it's clearly changed my mind for the better.
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984

I find it a little disappointing that the interview basically asked 'why use the word unlimited' but neither challenged the answer nor followed up on the issue (if indeed this was more than an email interview). That very issue seems to be the main point of contention in the public. The word unlimited does not imply 'you will never exhaust our catalogue' because most people don't want to read the whole catalogue.

I also find it frustrating that they seem to be talking about a rotating selection, following the Netflix model. That has to be the most frustrating element of the current TV subscription models. The idea that you can start watching a series and not get to the end before it disappears from the catalogue is a big problem. If Comixology rotated-in Walking Dead for a month that would be quite a challenge to anyone wanting to read it all and take the time to enjoy it.

Subscription services in general feel like they are in their infancy. The right to host IP and pay a percentage of the revenue earned on a fair allocation basis is so simple, but the IP holders have all created (or more properly commissioned or otherwise aquired) the content, without existing streaming provisions in their contracts. If only our governments spent more time working out how to simplify the mess with their voters in mind, and less time listening to industry lobbyists that wish to maintain an anachronistic status quo with IP holding companies as the main power. Then we might finally have an internet we deserve and should be demanding.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 06-04-2016 at 06:15 AM.

Incredible Member

I feel like he DUCKED the "big questions" about creator compensation. Personally, I'm not interested in the app as long as there are still writers and artists out there wondering how they are being compensated by giving away for free the best-selling volumes of their creator-owned books.

I always thought Comixology was wack because you didn't actually own anything you bought. I think if you buy a digital from Image, they give you various formats like CBR, CBZ, etc.
    Superhero shows are trash

Quote Originally Posted by troynos View Post
    Don't need it for Marvel. There's already Marvel Unlimted.

I'd expect DC to launch a similar service soon.
    People have been saying this for years. I am no longer optimistic at all.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, The Flash, Aquaman, Titans, Justice League, HJATGL, Supergirl, Superwoman, DC Bombshells
    Marvel: CANCELLED (good luck with your seasonal approach and constant reboots... I'll miss the characters though)
    Zenescope: Grimm Fairy Tales