Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Ok, just got an idea. How about if we get rid of the heroes that really don't matter such as colossus and give the team the Blob. would that make a difference?

BANNED

What if I added Thor to the list? What that turn the tide for the team?

Hulk
    Thing
    Colossus
    Luke Cage
    Namor
    Wonder Man
    She-Hulk
    Hercules (Marvel)
    Thor

vs

Thanos

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    Ok, just got an idea. How about if we get rid of the heroes that really don't matter such as colossus and give the team the Blob. would that make a difference?
    I'm not even sure if this is a serious question or not, but the answer is no. Thanos has actually done the whole "physically take on multiple class 100's at once" thing before. At least, I'm 90% sure he has and IIRC Drax was one of the people in the group he took on. So he should win this tug of war. Adding the Blob is like adding a cup of water to a lake, sure it now has more water, but it hasn't really made much of a difference.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I'm not even sure if this is a serious question or not, but the answer is no. Thanos has actually done the whole "physically take on multiple class 100's at once" thing before. At least, I'm 90% sure he has. So he should win this tug of war.
    When was this?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ite View Post
    When was this?
    I have no idea when these specific encounters happened, though what I remember from the art work it had to of been something that came out in the 80's or maybe early 90's. I think there are some other posters here who could probably give issue numbers.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

When was this?
    Infinity Gauntlet #6. After losing the gems, Thanos backhands Hulk and Drax simultaneously and knocks both on their asses.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

When was this?
    He waded into a fight with the Thing, Hercules, Thor and the Hulk in Quasar 38. Of what we saw of it, Quasar had to save the Thing and the Hulk from getting their heads smashed into each other as Thanos one hand each overpowered the both of them. Dude wasn't even being fast about it (because, you know, he's not that fast), he sort of quipped while doing it. There was just nothing they could do about being one hand grabbed by the back of the head and smashed together.

And yes, there was that time he flung Drax and the Hulk back both at once with the same open handed slap in Gauntlet 6. Not quite onto their asses, but it certainly showed them sprawling back. And this was from one open handed slap for both of them. That's both hilarious and telling.

And yes, Iron Man 55 is basically Drax going "I got into what looks like a punching contest with Thanos and the force of it exploded the world we fought on. Also this knocked me out. Not Thanos. Who this was an entire power up ago for."

I suppose you could argue they blasted each other, but the only time we see energy with Thanos is in the aftermath, and that looks more like exploded planet consequence shenanigans, as it is emerging from the rubble between his legs and swoops up past his body. So.. you would have to argue Thanos was blasting from... an interesting place....
    Last edited by Pendaran; 06-26-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

I went and checked after posting, and was mistaken on the knockdown, but noticed there was clear pain on their faces.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    I went and checked after posting, and was mistaken on the knockdown, but noticed there was clear pain on their faces.
    It's more that it actually flung them back along with said pain, the Hulk actually sprawling onto one leg for a moment, and the dude all of slapped them.

At best, the addition of Thor means Thanos acknowledges he's being hit before murderizing the group casually.

At worst.. Well, heard Asgardian Salsa's pretty tasty.

For posterity's sake:

I'd post more, but I hit the image limit.
    You address omnipotence. Tread carefully. - Thanos of Titan

All-New Member

Okay, I'm probably going to cop multiple "you are an idiot for thinking this" posts, but what are Thanos' actual strength feats? I mean I totally agree that in a fight he beats all of these guys even without using any of his more esoteric abilities, but I'm curious as to his abilities when it is strength and technique in a tug of war.

A lot of what I have read is about how he backhand slaps class 100s around (which is true and which clearly means he is absurdly strong) but I don't know if that is enough for me.

I suppose the (awful) analogy I would make is to Iron Fist. He can strike hard enough to mess up a SHIELD helicarrier, but he is hardly going to be able to pull a helicarrier anywhere.

I just think that is a lot of class 100/class 90 heroes there. Not saying they win but thought it might be a little bit more competitive. I also wonder how much technique would play into it. I could imagine guys like Thor and Hercules having actually done quite a bit of this sort of thing whereas I doubt Thanos' idea of a fun day out is rope pull. Having seen some tug of war competitions where some very large teams have been beaten by some smaller teams I wonder if there is any effect from that (probably negligible, but I'm curious).

I suppose the (awful) analogy I would make is to Iron Fist. He can strike hard enough to mess up a SHIELD helicarrier, but he is hardly going to be able to pull a helicarrier anywhere.
    Iron Fist does that by charging up his hands with the equivalent of magic, so that is indeed an awful analogy. If Thanos is just doing various shit with his bare hands, and he doesn't otherwise have some Magnus Robot Fighter striking superpower otherwise (and he doesn't), and he's not Thanos-Chi, Master Of Kung Fu, using super advanced martial arts to hit as hard as he does (and he's not), that's strength.

but what are Thanos' actual strength feats?
    Such as are noted to this point. Thanos has shown up less than one might think, and his actual showings of those where he even does anything of significance are less than that.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 06-26-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    For posterity's sake:

I'd post more, but we don't want to embarrass Hulk any further.
    Fixed that for you.

All-New Member

Hence why I said "Awful analogy" . Just finished work and not much brain power at the moment but wanted to get a post in. Let me put it another way, there are guys I can knock out with an overhand right who can bench press twice what I can. By the measure of raw strength in that regard, I am weak they are strong.

Yeah I know he does not have that many appearances which is a shame with regards testing his strength. A lot of class 100s have specific lifting and pulling feats where the writer has stated exactly what they are moving which makes it a little easier.