Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Default What Are The First Comics You Read?

The ones that really got you hooked on comics?

As a young boy in the late 70s, my dad brought home a garbage bag filled with comics...

These were much of the contents:

Jack Kirby Captain America
    Jim Shooter/George Perez Avengers
    Steve Gerber/Sal Buscema Defenders
    Chris Claremont/John Byrne Marvel Team-Up
    Jim Starlin Captain Marvel

I was a lucky young man...

Spider-man.

I wish 7-11 and convenience stores like it still sold comics. I know kids can get them on iPad instantly, but I'm old and to me it's just not the same experience as picking up your first comic book.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

First comics I read when I was 7 or 8 were Tintin and Asterix. I also read The Phantom strip in the newspaper every day for several years. What got me hooked on comics proper was reading Watchmen 5 years ago.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

I read a newspaper reprint of an early Spidey story where he fought Doctor Doom. It was insane, unrealistic, and blew my 7 year old mind.
    Cyclops was right

Superhero comics or any comics? Because the first comics I read ever TECHNICALLY were the Calvin and Hobbes comics.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thor View Post
    Superhero comics or any comics? Because the first comics I read ever TECHNICALLY were the Calvin and Hobbes comics.
    Comic books. That is the focus of this ENTIRE web page, forum, et cetera...

Amazing Member

My first comic books were from the mid-to-late-1970s and included Challengers of the Unknown 86 and 87, Avengers Annual 6, Justice League 138 and 142, Marvel Classics Comics War of the Worlds and Ivanhoe, Ghost Rider 28, Avengers 163, An issue of Charlton's Space War that had giant ants on the cover, a couple issues of Gold Key Star Trek and Boris Karloff, a few Richie Rich and Casper comics from Harvey and Super-Team Family 8. I read them all so many times that most are coverless, but I've still got most in my collection. No need for upgrades on those priceless gems.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    First comics I read when I was 7 or 8 were Tintin and Asterix. I also read The Phantom strip in the newspaper every day for several years. What got me hooked on comics proper was reading Watchmen 5 years ago.
    Almost exactly the same for me..except my first ever exposure to comics was the J.M. DeMatteis run on Spider-Man in the 90s. Criminally underrated run (omnibus anyone?). I came into it at random issue and it was really fun trying to hunt down back issues to fill in the rest of the story blanks. After that, Tintin and Asterix..those books are just great.

This was recently compared to most but I can remember the first books I read

New X-Men by Grant Morrison
    Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon
    New X-Men Academy
    X-Men, various

It was really the Grant Morrison story that got me very interested and kept me to continue reading, until today.