Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

The first comics I remember buying (or having bought for me) were at a flea market in New York.

mizAPGV40WuympTdUbjuhvQ.jpg

And

th200_USComic1.jpg

My (maternal) grandparents had a stack of old Harvey comics that I remember looking at during the latter part of the 70s as I was learning to read (Richie Rich, Caspar, Hot Stuff, Jackie Joker, etc.) I think there were a couple of teen titans (probably from the 60s) mixed in, they included some sort of female Joker character that I don't remember seeing much of since those issues. Not sure whatever became of this stack of comics.

My (paternal) grandparents had a stack of Classics Illustrated that they gave me much later on, haven't read thru many of them but they are bagged in a longbox somewhere.

Wish I could say what the 1st comic I purchased on my own was, but can't remember!!

I remember an early Legion of Super Heroes (art by Forte) and a Kid Colt, Outlaw at the barber shop. The first I owned was a Lois Lane (#82). Then a period of Archies and Harveys, until I "grew up" and returned to Marvel and DC.

Amazing Member

The first comics I ever *read* belonged to an older cousin. My family was down for a visit in the summer of 1977, and a week of solid rainfall kept all of us confined indoors. Said cousin was generous enough to let a pesky kid read through his comics (or maybe he was forced to by the adults of the family). I remember reading big chunks of Avengers and Fantastic Four. I think he had some Howard the Duck, but that would have been over my head at the time.

The following winter, I came down with strep throat and was home sick for several days. Some of my mom's students at the local community college chipped in and gave me a stack of comics to keep me occupied. I know the pile included:
    Captain America #219
    Daredevil #151
    Defenders #58
    Flash #258
    Godzilla #7
    Green Lantern #102
    Star Wars #8
    Super Friends #11
    X-Men #109 and #110

I still have a couple of those issues. And several of the others I've been able to replace from back-issue bins at local comic shows. One of my long-term collecting goals is to re-create that "original" collection.

The first comic book I ever read was Archie's "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" series, more specifically issue #14.

The first super hero comic book I ever read was Robin #1, the first issue of the Tim Drake ongoing.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

BANNED

I'd have to say either Asterix or Tintin when I was a kid. Good stuff

I was born in 75 and was really early a TV kid. So my first exposure to Comic Book Characters were replays of the 66 Batman, the Filmation DC cartoons, Spider man and His Amazing Friends, and all those Marvel cartoons that used to play all the time. It wasn't until I was around twelve or so that my brother brought home Silver Surfer Number 17 and at that point i was such a voracious reader that i was willing to try anything. I read SS 17 and fell in love with it. I picked up a book here, and a book there when i could but really wasn't hooked on Comics until the Infinity Gauntlet series hit. I read Captain America and Thor alongside the Surfer fighting a cosmic threat and instantly bonded right back to those cartoons i watched when i was younger. I was enamored with comics and have been a life long fan ever since.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I was born in 1976 and the 80's and 90s were big periods for me in collecting comics and not the likes seen since in my faithfulness. In the early 80s I started reading comics with Spider-Man and Cloak and Dagger followed quickly by Uncanny X-Men. And that's really all I read for about a year then I started picking up mostly the whole Marvel line and a few DC's too. But the mentioned three titles are what really drew me in. Fond memories.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 08-01-2014 at 09:23 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chia Head View Post
    I was born in 1976 and the 80's and 90s were big periods for me in collecting comics and not the likes seen since in my faithfulness. In the early 80s I started reading comics with Spider-Man and Cloak and Dagger followed quickly by Uncanny X-Men. And that's really all I read for about a year then I started picking up mostly the who Marvel line and a few DC's too. But the mentioned three titles are what really drew me in. Fond memories.
    Here is a recolored cover of my first actual comic issue.

My first comics were probably Harvey Comics or Gold Key ones bought by my parents around 1966. Superhero titles that I bought started around 1968.

I can't remember the very first comics I actually got as a kid because that was many years ago, and I couldn't tell you what the issue numbers were or the exact year. But I do remember going to a grocery store as a kid up in the mountains around where we lived and they always had a selection of comics that was actually pretty large. My brother and I would always peruse them and my mom let us get a couple apiece, and I remember flipping through a Harley Quinn issue.

Since I've gotten older, though, and had my own money... the first comic I actually physically bought myself with my own money? I actually bought several trades in one trip: Wonder Woman vol. 1 (New 52), Joker: Death of the Family, Mad Love and Other Stories, and Harley Quinn: Night and Day. Yeah... I'm still a comic newbie
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Fantastic Member

Born in '66 myself so the mid 70s to mid 80s or so was my first big comicbook era. I can recall early on reading various comicbook adventure stories - Gold Key stuff, Tarzan, that sort of thing - but the first comics I really remember making a point of buying and reading were Conan TB, ROM, Micronauts, Savage Sword of Conan, Avengers, Moon Knight...

Technically my first comics were... For Better Or For Worse, Archie comics, and Garfield comic strips from inside of a Garfield Dictionary.